Embroidered computer punch card

My father was part of the Space Race at NASA & Bendix, as an aerospace engineer. He has experiments up on the Moon! While we were clearing out my parents’ house a few years ago, my brothers and I found a stash of his old punch cards from those years. I decided to embroider some space scenes on a few of them for some fun quick projects. Tho I can already tell these will just keep getting more and more complicated … :grin:

First attempt: “Liftoff!”

20 Likes

Nice!! I think you got the space ship and the fiery lift off really well!!
That’s great that your dad’s experiments are on the moon!!!

My niece has been doing paintings of dinosaurs on old punch cards!

Great to see them recycled into something creative!!

2 Likes

Boy, what a nice re-use!

I remember making wreaths with my punch cards. Since I was trained on computers during that period, I used to have thousands of them! We used to paint them gold and decorate them…for a while, they were a thing.

Interesting to have that bit of family history!

3 Likes

Oh yes, we always had a punch card wreath too! Different versions each year, lol.

2 Likes

This is amazing! Amazing!

I wonder, would you be interested in joining the ATC swap? I think every single person participating would be incredibly happy to receive something with a bit of vintage punch card. I know I would!

5 Likes

Oh wow, this is really neat.

1 Like

I have never done anything like ATCs so I am not sure - but anything would have to be after the OTT swap I am running. :heart:

2 Likes

This is soooooooo cool!!! And I was just thinking the same as @Magpie - I’ve never done ATCs but had already decided I want to start once swaps are up (as long as there’s a swap that not ongoing style; those aren’t my thing) and these would be SO perfect!!

2 Likes

These are sooo cool!!

2 Likes

The ATC swap has been running on discord all this time! There’s a Lettuce gallery and (for inspiration!) all the 2019 galleries are linked here. It is such a great craft, low commitment, easy, anything goes. It is ongoing but you only claim as much as you want to, whenever you want to. I love it so much. These awesome excellent punch cards would be super cool for those, or for masterboards, or for making junk journals! What a cool idea to embroider on them and you chose the perfect theme to honour your Dad’s experiences there. I am in love with the project and the history!

3 Likes

This is just cool as heck.

2 Likes

I couldn’t love these more. The story behind them is so cool!! I know my nephews would love your rocket as much as I do. So, so cool.

2 Likes

So I kind of made up “rules” as I stitched today … I can only use the holes that already exist, and I can’t cut the cards, but I can embellish all I want. Rules! Made me laugh. Keeping myself to a set of self-imposed rules is new to me! I have zero will power.

3 Likes

I ABSOLUTELY love this card. The history and what you did with it! I am thrilled you kept the cards and are NOT throwing them out.

This is truly dreamy. and the rules you gave yourself is PERFECT.

:shamrock: :metal: :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Maybe rather than “rules” those criteria could be considered the parameters of a “challenge”? I am not much for the rules either and am always trying to find ways around them :grin:

2 Likes

So creative! So amazing! I love this!

1 Like

What a great way to give these relics from such an important era, new life.