Exotic meats

I’ve had chicken fried alligator nuggets once before. I found them to be quite delicious. Don’t remember it tasting fishy as others are describing it. Maybe the coating was seasoned in a way that disguised the flavor. I’ve had octopus, but did not enjoy it. I liked the flavor, which I liken to lobster, but did not care for the texture. My father served rabbit cacciatore to me when I was young. He lied and said it was chicken, but I could taste that something was different. Have never eaten it again. Bison and duck are regular proteins now here in Texas and I love them both. I’ve eaten quail. Tasty, but not a lot of meat on them. I also enjoy eggs from both ducks and quail. Occasionally, I will eat muscles, but on the whole I don’t enjoy bivalve seafood. Have never tried insects of any kind.

2 Likes

I’ve heard squirrel tastes the same as rabbit, but hunting squirrels is illegal here. My family used to keep rabbits especially for food. I think rabbits were considered a poor person’s pig.

My grandpa on my mum’s side, they lived in a very small labourer’s cottage in the city, and they were really poor even by the standards of the 1930s /1940s. They had a goat for milk that at some point they could no longer afford to feed so they had to butcher it. My grandfather refused to drink goat’s milk or eat goat’s meat later in life because to him that was the definition of poverty. He could not understand why at some point people started to pay €€€ for it.

1 Like

I finally found alligator! Nearly $30/lb, so I passed.
But yesterday I bought goat, lamb, scallops, and crab at the Asian market. Sort of semi-exotic, can’t get those at my local market.
Tonight, we had scallops with bacon and mushrooms. Yum

3 Likes

Lamb is a staple in Australia, its so funny you have to go to an Asian grocer for it.

Yeah, this lamb is from Australia.
Extra weird is I’m in the American Southwest, where sheep have been raised for centuries. But it’s hard to find lamb.

2 Likes