Fabric Collection Preferences?

Oh best of luck in trying a new career! Or trying something new at the least. I would definitely suggest looking through collections from different fabric companies. That can help with how you think about making collections.

1 Like

I love that print, but I would probably buy a favorite color to make a project. I would not buy all the colors for a quilt as I like a mix of prints, colors and textures.

So, if I picked that fabulous turquoise and salmon piece, I would want a salmon, black, white, turquoise stripe or dot (a graphic)ā€¦some textured turquoise, maybe a large flower pattern, etc.

What I love about the ones you do is you alternate the flowersā€¦so many prints on Spoonflower are directional and limitedā€¦hmmmā€¦I really like that piece just as isā€¦ :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I think this might be my hangup. When I look at fabrics, even collections, I always assume people will mostly be mixing and matching from different collections. Thatā€™s what I do. But I havenā€™t done much quilting, and I tend not to buy precuts. When I DO buy precuts itā€™s because I have found them new in package at a thrift store and I still very much tend to pull in fabrics from elsewhere when I use them. The way I prefer to mix colors and textures is too chaotic.

So in my brain, a GOOD collection would be one with maybe 4-5 hero and secondary prints that are obviously closely related, and then 4-5 prints that would probably be considered basics, in a huge variety of colors, fully expecting that any one person is as likely to pick a basic to go with some other project as they are to make a whole project just out of fabrics from the collection.

3 Likes

It all depends on what I find when I shop. Some shops only buy a couple pieces of a collection. So I have to find my own prints. Or I find the last price left in their sale area. Or I see a whole collection and I pick the pieces I like.

I also tend to buy random pieces because I think a single print is pretty. So then I look in my stash for what can match or I keep an eye out while shopping.

Personally I think there are two types of collections. One where there is one or two main prints and then a few secondary prints. And then a set of matches small prints/tonels to match.

And then a basics collection where theirs isnā€™t a main print you are matching. But you are making colors and textures to blend with anyones projects.

3 Likes

And this is why i have no opinion on your question. :wink:

I think in 15 years ive bought matchy matchy collection pieces about 8 timesā€¦ Mostly precuts.

Iā€™m a bad quilter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

soā€¦when is the top fabric going to be available? Itching fabric collectors want to knowā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

It is now. It is more green than blue, though. Although, honestly, I could change that. lol

2 Likes