From Murals to Posters

My husband is a professional musician and drum teacher. He ran a teaching and recording studio in the lower level of our home in PA. He decided to paint murals on every wall, which the students and fellow musicians could enjoy. When we decided to sell the house, we knew there was a big possibility that whoever bought the house would paint over them so we hired a professional photographer to take pictures.

Fortunately, the young couple who bought our house loved the murals! They are planning to convert the studio to a bar/rec room for themselves and their family and friends…YAY!

Anyway, after copyrighting the paintings, we took them to a professional printing place and had posters made for some of his students and musician friends. We also had large ones printed for our new home and have them hanging in his new studio.

They are all painted by hand. His second love, after murals, are portraits. As you can see, they were painted on concrete block…my job was to fill in the porous holes and paint the backgrounds. It took buckets of paint…

How many famous musicians or bands can you name?

Santana, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Police, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Led Zeplin

22 Likes

He painted those?? They look super professional!

2 Likes

He did…people think they are stick ons or that he used some sort of projector…nope…he used magazine pictures and paintbrushes…I didn’t see him for hours a day for months…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

WOW! These are fantastic and I’m sure were hard to leave behind! The portraits are stunning but I love the “windows” to other worlds… :exploding_head:

Hm…I’m pretty sure I can name 5, guess on 2…how fun!

1 Like

We had posters made of those two walls as well…the younger kids enjoyed those…influenced by Escher…

2 Likes

Those are phenomenal!..I’m glad you found a way to preserve his work.

2 Likes

Oh goodness wow, this is wonderful! So cool you could save his art and carry over to your new home and the new owners love it too.

2 Likes

Those are freaking amazing! Amazing way to capture this work of art in photography, and I’m so happy to hear it’ll live on to enrich another family’s life. Kind of super cool to luck into a hip room when buying a house like that. :smiley:

1 Like

Holy moly! What a great idea. I’m very impressed!

1 Like

That is so impressive!!! Your hubby has talent is many areas it sounds like.

When our oldest son started playing drums, we converted half our shed into a music studio. He cut 12x12 pieces of wood and gave them to friends (both adults and kids) to decorate and then hung them on the walls. He got some small masterpieces back. One in particular would have blended in to your hubby’s room I think.

1 Like

Most of our musician friends are also talented in other artsy areas. The creative process seems to feed one and another…my husband also writes poetry but ask him to hang a picture or change oil in the car and he is all thumbs! ha

I bet there were a lot of wonderful pieces…I have saved some of the pieces the kids did for him and gave him for Christmas…works of art made with passion and heart!

3 Likes

Wow, they are amazing!
Your husband is so talented!
I find painting portraits, or even drawing them, very difficult (and I actually drew a bunch for money, lol).
Such a great idea to have them professionally photographed and to turn them into posters.

1 Like

these are fabulous

1 Like

Your husband is a fabulous artist! Painting portraits is hard and he did an excellent job on them and yes I can name most of them.

2 Likes

ha ha I put them in the original post blurred if you want to check yourself…they are all musicians that my husband based his drum teaching on because of certain patterns so he made sure the kids knew who these legends were…of course, he then had to make them find new artists that used the same patterns as a challenge…the kids had fun…many of them are still in contact with him from around the country…of course, they are all grown up but still playing drums!

1 Like

Amazing! They look like they are printed.

1 Like

Thanks! He really wanted a way to let his students know how much he has appreciated and missed them and for all their hard work and dedication. We have a lot of mailing to do, but so worth it. But, time to retire and let a new generation carry on…

1 Like

Wow, this is gorgeous! And I recognized them all :slight_smile: Mr Imma has been talking about a Motorhead mural for years but neither of us is good at painting.

1 Like

Thanks…He is really nuts over Pink Floyd and Tool. Since we are now renting, he can’t paint walls, but I have encouraged him to do a large canvas of Tool inspired work. I will have to find some of his pastel works as well…he is shy about showing others his work.

3 Likes

Wow, this one is my favourite! I love the background, it’s so detailed!

1 Like