Fun with dye

I got some fabric from Nairobi, but wasn’t crazy about the browns and tans.

So I dipped each in turquoise dye. Why turquoise? Well, it would blend with the yellows and browns to make soft greens. And it was the only dye I had.

this one actually is more green, but I couldn’t catch it or adjust to it:

the one on the left is really that nice soft green. As you can see, the birds’ background is still beige. I tried soaking it longer, microwaving it…I suspect it’s pure polyester, because it’s just a little less pink than before. :frowning:

and while the dye was out, I had read that you can dye plastic buttons, so I grabbed a handful of loose ones from the bottom of the jar of whites. They’re a random mix of plastics, no glass or mother of pearl. I microwaved them in dye for 3 minutes.

I would say that you can dye SOME plastic buttons.

sorry for the water spots, I couldn’t wait to record the results!

19 Likes

WOW! Thanks for sharing all your results! It looks like a couple of those prints are going to work quite a bit better for you. What a fun experiment with the buttons!

1 Like

Ooh, I didn’t know it was possible to dye buttons. filing away in my brain trapper keeper

1 Like

You can dye (some) plastic buttons?!?!
:exploding_head:

I love your fun with dye experiments. Definitely going to have to dye some buttons!

1 Like

Softer plastic dyes more easily. If you can scratch it with a pin, it will probably take color.

2 Likes

oh yeah! that turquoise is fabulous

1 Like

Wow! Crafters who experiment with their supplies always inspire me! Thank you for sharing your results! Awesome!

1 Like

Oh, that swirly button with the white that resisted the dye? YES!

1 Like

yeah! I think I have several of those; I wouldn’t have tossed it in the dye if I’d been paying better attention, but it did come out gorgeous!

Interesting! I wonder why only some buttons were colored. :thinking:

1 Like

Harder plastic is less porous, can’t accept the dye.

1 Like

Beautiful!
And I’ve never heard of dyeing buttons— they look great!

1 Like