Golden Book and 45 record purses

About the same time I learned you could make a purse out of an old record sleeve, I also happened to join that old craft site. The inspiration I found there took my purse game to a whole new level. I learned so much and got so many ideas from folks sharing there! Here are my last two holiday makes for the season. Everything I used came from my stash - no leaving the house for me! One is from a 45 record and sleeve, the other is a little golden book. Both are backed with chipboard or cut up game boards. The sides and bottom of the golden book purse are book pages. Both are covered with iron on laminate and have handles made from wire handles strung with beads. The lining of the record purse (and the bottom and back) is reindeer fabric. The golden book lining was a very fortunate stash find - fabric with the actual characters!

26 Likes

Your purses are the kind of thing that made me think, when I found the old site, “These are my kind of crafters.” :heart_eyes: And I love having the record out on display like that.

Using a Golden Book just gave me a thought (and forgive me if this is an old thing already discussed): with a small clasp to keep it all shut, the whole book might be small and light enough to be re-bound and attached to one side of the purse, so it would be readable whenever desired. Probably not a good idea for most book purses, but it would be delightful with some of the classic Golden Books that never get old. Not to mention a way to entertain kids on the go!

5 Likes

It is these kinds of repurposing items turned into lovely projects that also took me to the old site and my adventures to crafting outside of the box…

I love these…so cheerful and useful as well…the inside lining is done so nicely…what do you use to make such even holes along the side? I am repurposing old Christmas cards after the holidays …my idea was to just make a template but if there is a better way… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just used a ruler, made a sharpie mark and punched with cropodile - they’re definitely not uniform! (I used to use those old tractor feed strips from the sides of printer pages - remember those?)

3 Likes

Ooh, that would be cute! Now I am off to think about how to punch the holes . . .

These are adorable - and all from stash, too? Brava!!

1 Like

I had that record as a kid, and I listened to it practically on repeat around Christmas. These are awesome!

1 Like

I agree with you 100%! These purses are really amazing. Kitschy, playful, and very professional looking. This is exactly why you and everyone else on this site are the most inspirational people. :heart:

2 Likes

These are so amazing! I haven’t seen anything like it before. They’re so great.

1 Like

These are utterly delightful!

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS! This has been chosen as one of this week’s Featured Projects.

2 Likes

too fabulous! very well done. A treasured heirloom for years to come

1 Like

These are amazing. I love them so!

1 Like

How fun are these? :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Adorable!

2 Likes

Classic and nostalgic!!

1 Like