Goldfish(es) painting

Amazon Prime Day always gets me. Always. I impulse buy some of the oddest things. This year, I could not resist a set of fifty 4x4 wooden squares. Once I got them, I had no idea what to do with them so I decided I would wood burn on them. Well, that didn’t happen. Turns out I am terrified of burning down my house or injuring my cats so I doubt I will ever get that tool out. So, I changed up my idea and thought I’d paint on them.
I chose fish again because it is the only thing that I can paint and be happy with. Fish it is! This time, I went with goldfish and used gold metallic paint to add some sparkle. I really liked the shimmer.
Sorry, I just realized how fuzzy this shot is.

Here they are individually. My favorite was this little guy.

You can see the shimmer in this pic.

Shimmer pic.

I did three. I plan on hanging them up in my living room somehow, but I wanted to make them look modular or, I don’t know how to explain it, like they could swim from one panel to the next. Here are a couple of configurations I came up with. I painted some of the wooden squares pitch black to go with these.

or

I am still not sure if I like the fatty fish yet. He’s growing on me though.

Thanks for checking them out. Any advice/opinions on displaying them would be appreciated!

I had to laugh. I sent @Kwality570 some of the wooden squares too and she had the nerve to woodburn them. LOL! You are more daring than I am! I love how hers turned out. Take a peak! Monster Quartet

41 Likes

These are seriously gorgeous

2 Likes

seriously love these!!

1 Like

These are mini masterpieces! I absolutely adore them. I love the first configuration and it totally does look like the goldfish are able to swim between the squares.

1 Like

Beautiful work! Connecting then through the black blocks keeps the eye moving nicely. They are quite elegant, even the big fellow. Love him!

1 Like

These paintings are so detailed and beautiful!
The display configuration (with the additional black squares) is excellent.

1 Like

Wow! I have no idea how to improve on this! It’s perfect!

1 Like

These are beautifully done. I love the “modular” feel of the squares.

1 Like

love these and your display plan! You could maybe double down on the stacked effect by putting spacers behind some of differing thicknesses.

2 Likes

These are joyful! I love your ideas for displaying them!

1 Like

I LOVE these! Even the little fatty! (He’s like Gus-Gus in Cinderella. :laughing:)You do such beautiful work and the shimmer really makes them pop. It made me realize that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fish with scales that DIDN’T shimmer! Ha! I think these will look beautiful and I do like the additional black squares. I don’t think that would have occurred to me, but it really makes them come more alive somehow.

3 Likes

Wow. Those are awesome. I love fancy goldfish. I wonder if a black Moore could work in that collection. I am excited to see how the pieces progress. :heart:

2 Likes

These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the black background and it definitely will make the fish pop wherever and however you decide to hang them.

2 Likes

Thanks Everyone! It seems like fish are the only things I can paint right. Nothing else turns out the way I want it, but I really enjoyed making the fish. Painting is very hard for me, so I wanted to put them up to encourage myself to do things that are harder and push myself more. I need to bite the bullet and go with a configuration and stop overthinking it. Thanks to everyone for all the support!

I just saw that @Kwality570 posted up! I sent her some squares to see what she could come up with too. She actually had the nerve to woodburn! I love what she did. Check it out! Monster Quartet

4 Likes

WOW
They are absolutely amazing, love all 3 of them.
Perfect use of the squares!

2 Likes

These are absolutely beautiful! Wow! Just stunning.

1 Like

These are beautiful!!! You gotta keep the fatty one with the others.

I saw Kwality’s post first, which lead me here, and then I remembered something my son did many years back that you should try. He wanted some decorations for his music studio so gave out blocks of wood to friends and family and asked them to decorate any way they wanted. He received some amazing pieces, some good pieces and some a little strange. Why not send some to your crafty friends and see what you receive back.

3 Likes

You really have a talent for painting these fish!

1 Like

Your fish are amazing! And I love the modular display idea.

1 Like

Just a STUNNING project! And those bubble fish are just my absolute fav! I love them!

1 Like