Happy Mail Craftalong 2021 ~ Monthly themes and Birthdays too!

Lots of birthdays coming up! Yes, I’m an October gal, too! Oct 8.

4 Likes

My old address will be my son’s new address so I’ll still get mail if it comes here.

Also, while we did get a new place, our move will be delayed until after the current tenants have been able to get moved and the landlord has been able to clean and repair stuff. So more like mid October.

7 Likes

Ha-- my husband used to talk about how small children are powered by the Todderleranium reactor. :laughing:

3 Likes

I need my computer back!!! Jason has commandeered the computer for job hunting and I have not had access to it for almost 2 months now! My happy Mail list is on there, my swap list, my circuit access, my printers ahhhhh I cannot download and install this stuff to my work computer! Ok so its the family computer but really he needs to go get his own! I want my stuff back!!!

10 Likes

I received happy mail from @kittykill today! She sent along some cold brew tea which I’m excited to try, I didn’t even know such a thing existed!

4 Likes

I’m finally back from two trips abroad for work, and ready to send some fun stuff!
I’m Christy (a Gen Xer), and live in AZ with my mom, thanks COVID. :wink:
I work in tv/film and pre-covid travelled often for work and pleasure. I will love anything that you send me, and my mom(Sharon) is a minion freak if you’d happen to send her something. I’m a mixed media girl by nature and will play with anything from paint to fabric and everything in between, my craft area will attest.

Please ask Reinikka for my address, I love surprises!

13 Likes

Welcome @lifeinpigtails :partying_face:

4 Likes

Yay! Another AZ crafter! I thought it was just @lindyv321 , @steiconi , my DIL @mckenziehirsche96 and me!

3 Likes

Yay for more happy mail

Thanks @LadybugsAndBees and @kittykill for these

5 Likes

I received some happy mail from @kittykill with a lemon tea in it, thank you! :blush: :tea:

4 Likes

As did I! Thanks, Pam!

3 Likes

Aw, I got kitty tea too. Perfect day for it as I’m recovering from a small procedure & can use the comfort. Thank you :blush:

4 Likes

I got a lovely card and stickers from @Amfkinney ! Thank you!!

4 Likes

I know we don’t have to acknowledge when we receive but I have to say it’s a little unsettling when I sent 16 cards and/or postcards the last two months and only know of 6 being received. I wonder if the other 10 ever arrived or did they get lost.

6 Likes

I get that feeling a lot too.
I’m sure the post is more reliable than that.
It makes me wonder how hard it is, in these times with unlimited access to all kinds of communication devices, to find time to type two words (thank you).
I really do put a lot of personal attention, love and effort into what I send out.
No, it’s not an obligation, of course it isn’t. But come one.

7 Likes

Especially international mail can still be unreliable. I’ve received letters from the US in less than a week but some have taken more than a month. So I would not exclude the possibility that some have not arrived yet.

Personally I prefer to reply with a card or letter (and share an overview post here every now and then with a picture of all I’ve received) but at some point I became overwhelmed with all the mail I needed to reply to. I’m almost caught up now, and I get less mail now so hopefully I won’t fall behind again.

5 Likes

I’ve been having a similar feeling about a batch I sent internationally in July. I’m not sure if things have just been super slow or they got lost. I try to post about all happy mail I receive but I’m sure I’ve probably missed one or two along the way when I’ve gotten busy with life. I’m trying to not let it affect my desire to send happy mail but it does take a bit of the excitement out of it not knowing if what you sent ever arrived. But I definitely don’t want to make anyone feel like they have to acknowledge though since the only requirement for happy mail, in my book, is to smile when you open it :slight_smile:

I just made a small batch of happy mail for the first time since July and am planning to make a few more before sending them all out.

9 Likes

I try to let people know when I receive, too, as soon as I can. Sometimes I am busy, and I just let myself post a thank you and not a picture, but they are all treasured!

I, also, haven’t sent happy mail in a long minute, but hope to send at least a few this month.

2 Likes

I am terrrrrribly behind on sending happy mail and I know I’m behind in acknowledging some. This past week I had just about zero free time and am catching up on my self care and my other to-do items… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have everything newly received set aside so I won’t forget. I think there is something from @Cindy and @Amfkinney. I’ll try to properly thank everyone after I check the mailbox for all the mail that’s (probably) piled up this week :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Okay… I’m going to get on a little soapbox for a moment.

While I completely understand wanting to know our mail has been received I want to remind everyone that Happy Mail shouldn’t feel like an obligation, for either senders and receivers. This is not a swap and shouldn’t feel like one! There are a lot of people that signed up for the craftalong since we started in February and some people have dropped off for a variety of reasons. Some we know about, but some we don’t. Life happens.

If anyone is concerned about Happy Mail being received I’d suggest sending the recipient a message to check in, but if you don’t hear back try to forgive and forget. If it’s important to know something was received then you can privately keep track of who’s active in the thread, who posts thank yous, pictures, etc, and choose to only send to those people.

I’m not going to ask everyone to check-in after signing up but if someone asks in the thread or through messaging I will cross them off the list in the first post. Otherwise they stay up.

I like knowing my mail has been sent to someone that will be happy to receive it. If they thank me, great! If not then that’s ok too. Because I believe it brightened their day. I, personally, have stopped keeping track of who’s acknowledged receiving because I’m much happier sending and letting it go.

Going forward for next year I’m open to ideas & suggestions for running this differently (I already have a few ideas…). Maybe everyone can “sign up” once every three months or so and I’ll update the participants list more often? I’d be open to doing it every few months, but not more often than that (unless someone else wants to take over!). We could also have monthly check-ins to see who’s still active and everyone can decide from there who they want to send to? (I’d be happy to start check-ins this month if wanted) Let me know your ideas! I truly want Happy Mail to be Happy for everyone :kissing_heart:

12 Likes