Happy Mail Craftalong 2021 ~ Monthly themes and Birthdays too!

I think I am going to try and make one card per month with the theme. Looking at flamingos on Google images right now. Pilot has 2 pink flamingo dog toys and they are some of his favs, but they look pretty, uh, well-loved.

3 Likes

I have no idea what to do with the flamingos theme :sweat_smile: But I hope to see pictures of what everyone else comes up with!!!

I also want to add that Happy Mail can be sent to people off of Lettuce Craft and people not participating in the craftalong. So if you make some happy mail for a friend or family member you can share it here too :wink:

6 Likes

I’m working on some Birthday cards today :slightly_smiling_face: it’s a simple design and I thought I would share some pictures here.

I start with my sentiment cut to size and lined with gold ink on the edges

I cut my background piece to be a little taller than the sentiment and a little wider than the card (this way I don’t have to line it up perfectly). I’m using gelli print papers :grin:

After running the pieces through my sticker maker I put it all together. I try to center everything but having extra to trim off the sides really helps!

Here it is all complete:

The design isn’t fancy but the paper is :wink: (at least I think so!) I like to have a few on hand to send out as needed :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

What a lovely idea!

I have such a collection of envelopes and papers that I have collected over the years from just the swap cards I have received…I think I will spend some time this weekend making some cards…

I also have a whole lot of cards I get free from various charities and such trying to solicit donations…I would like to figure out a way to repurpose them since I really don’t like the cards (they are plain or ugly or just not my style…)…I might gesso over them and see what I can come up with…

4 Likes

I am kind of terrible at writing notes/cards, and may just send something random that seemed like a good idea. :laughing:

(That said, I got a birthday card from @Reinikka and it was lovely!)

6 Likes

I made myself an organized address book last year with a place for Birthdays in the front to help me keep track! I think I (mostly) sent Birthday cards out in time to reach everyone who I had a birthday for :smile: Hoping to send more this year! :grin:

Everyone, please act surprised when you get the above design for your Birthday! :sweat_smile: :partying_face:

9 Likes

:astonished: :rofl:

2 Likes

Taking a whack at that flamingo theme.

12 Likes

That is looking amazing! I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

3 Likes

I did a super nice address book with birthdays and all anniversaries and all that good stuff at the beginning of last year. I had plans to send tons of mail and then COVID happened and my brain noped out of that goal. But…as I’m setlling into life finally I’m back to it! Send all the mail! :mailbox_with_mail:

6 Likes

I realize that I need to keep an address book in some format. I never liked the actual address “books” and used to use index cards in a ring. I might try some version of that, just a little fancier.

2 Likes

I bought so many stamps…

My husband is the one who is great at keeping an address book…mine are all on scraps of papers or in saved emails and PM’s…I have a shmancy fancy address book but I hate it…too small a space to write in and when addresses change, I forget which is which…ugh…

Anyone have a good one they like?

1 Like

That’s why I never liked them! Plus, when someone moves, or gets married and has a name change, I hate crossing things out (I don’t use a teacher plan book for the same reason). So, my index card system always worked great. If someone moved, I just printed a new card.

3 Likes

I wish I had kept my rolodex…

2 Likes

Great idea! I bought one on eBay, but it’s reserved for another purpose. I do see the cheap versions in thrift stores often, so the next time I go, I’ll look for one (or two and send you one!).

2 Likes

I typed up my own with the info I like to have. I keep everything in a small three ring notebook with plastic page protectors. I can just slide my papers in and out as needed for adding addresses and editing.

The first pages are an ongoing calendar for Birthdays. Then pages for names & addresses (and notes!). Then I have some pockets at the end with my stamps organized and my address labels. It’s working great for me! Well worth the time it took to plan and organize :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I decided yesterday to use an old journal to make an LC address book. I think I will add a birthday section in the back (that is a good idea). I organized alphabetically by username and used addresses from envelopes if I had them.

I had saved my printed address from @Whistlefish’s envelope because it was amazing and posted that on the first page.

I enjoyed making that flamingo card so much I made 5 of them. I’m sending 1 to an offline friend and the rest to you guys. I just need to figure out what to write inside, I’ll probably just
tell you random stuff about my day.

13 Likes

I have lots of random notebooks…I mean lots…I love your idea of using the envelope addresses…kind of like an art journal as well! Some of the envelopes I get are so lovely so it would be a nice way to keep them as well!

I also love @Reinikka’s idea to use a ringed notebook…I can add and subtract pages…

Thanks all…I see a project for the weekend!

6 Likes

I have always kept an address book. I do also have a digital version & I enjoy keeping both updated. I also have a binder with birthday & pockets to hold cards so they can be mailed on time. I used to call & write everybody on their special day until FB came along & ruined the specialness of that. Now it’s happy 24 hours of FB notifications & my remembering gets lost in the noise.

7 Likes

I went over to keeping my addresses in a spreadsheet.

4 Likes