Happypotamus

I made this Happypotamus as a gift for a friend!

Pattern:

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love (Oxford Grey), Mira mini skeins (many colors)
Hook: C (2.75mm)

Each motif was made from 2 colors - 1 for the inside & grey for the outside. I used an invisible join (there are instructions in the pattern) to join the motifs because I didn’t want to sew them all together! :grin:

To prevent stuffing from showing through, I sewed the bottom (& sleeves?) of a t-shirt up, inserted it into the hippo, and then put the stuffing inside the t-shirt. (The neck hole was stitched closed before crocheting on the last motif.)

The eyes are 16 mm buttons and the tail is braided.

More pictures:

32 Likes

Oh my goodness, he is so adorable!

2 Likes

I used this pattern to make one before. I only used two colors throughout (blue and grey). Yours is so much more colorful and so pretty! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

What fun!

2 Likes

So cute…it definitely looks happy!

2 Likes

So utterly adorable!

2 Likes

I have this pattern, too! I also have the triceratops pattern that I need to make for a friend. I should dig out the yarn and get started on that.

The hippo pattern is my favorite, however, and I love the colors you used!

3 Likes

Love this so much. I’ve always wanted to make one :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

OH MY GOODNESS! Granny-ish polygons + hippo = SQUEEEEEEEE!

2 Likes

I LOVE THIS!! SO SO SO CUTE!! SQUEWWEEEE!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

ETA: This is now in my ravelry queue - thanks for sharing

2 Likes

:heart: adorable!

2 Likes

This is so groovy!

2 Likes

This is so neat! It’s crazy how you can take all those granny hexes and make it into an animal. Craziness! Great job, a happypotomas is definitely a great name.

2 Likes

He looks difficult to make but he looks great.

2 Likes

All of the love to this one! He’s adorable. Great idea to stick in a t-shirt to avoid the stuffing showing through or poking out. That little tail and butt are just too cute.

2 Likes

Ooh, I’ve been wanting to try this pattern, but was intimidated by it and so haven’t yet. Yours is just gorgeous!!

3 Likes

Thank you all! :smiley:

For anyone wanting to make one, there are free tutorials for some of the motifs if you want to try them before buying a pattern:

1 Like

This is too cute and I like your color choices better than the sample one.

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS! This has been chosen as one of this week’s Featured Projects.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes