CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Thanks! It’s just going to be our parents coming over. We got a self uniting marriage certificate, so we don’t need to venture out to a courthouse. We just need 2 witnesses to sign with us.

4 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Sign ups for the Harry Potter Swap end soon, so if you wanted to be a part, please PM your Q.

:blush::blush:

2 Likes

I would love to participate in the swap, but this is just bad timing for me. :confused:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes - Two main materials
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: (Ravelry Link) Manly Kingfisher Vanilla is the New Black socks
Brief Description: These socks were made for my soon to be husband (2 weeks!). The two main materials are West Yorkshire Spinners signature 4 ply sock yarn in the Kingfisher colorway, and some leftover Gynx Hand dyed (no longer in business) Powersock in the Fire Opal colorway. He also “helped”, becuase I made him try it on at various points to ensure they fit correctly. He has a very deep heel/arch area on his foot, so needs extra room there. He crammed them on his fet this morning before I could take a clear picture, so you get the blurry photo I took last night after I wove in the ends, and a photo of them on his feet. :laughing: :socks: :yarn:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Those are some amazing socks! I love the colors.

I also can’t join swaps right now. So sad!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Batik Beach Bag
Brief Description: This was an excuse to start using up a batik jellyroll that I bought to use for scrap quilting, and then couldn’t bear to break up because it was so pretty. I started using a Youtube tutorial, but went my own way when they were going to “waste” the jelly roll material on the inside too! So I switched it up and added a real lining. This bag is BIG - about 18 inches deep, and definitely would be great for packing all the stuff for an outing (whenever we’re allowed to do those again).
Project Picture:

Those socks and shawl are both amazing!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Mike’s Custom scarf (custom chart from my head)
Brief Description: I have decided that I absolutely hate the way that this scarf was turning out as a double-knit, so I reworked it to be in the round colorwork. So it’s moving much faster now, since it’s easier to read the chart and just zoom around in a circle. so this is maybe a bit over 3 hours into the re-work. This friend get NO MORE custom items from me. He had no problem paying what I charged him, but sheesh, both the things he has paid me to make were just such a DRAG.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

It might be a pain, but I love it! That color scheme is gorgeous.

1 Like

I can tell why you didn’t want to use any of your jelly roll for the inside! Those fabrics really pop.

These socks! Swooonworthy!

1 Like

Lol! Thanks, most of the work is done by the self patterning yarn! :joy:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Doll Dress
Brief Description: Not the purplest of fabrics in my stash, but it’ll get the job done and has three different shades going on. I think the flower is some variety of phlox?

3 Likes

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress…

Rather than start a new Book Club prompt today, I’m going to allow everyone to submit it through the end of this term. (Which ends on Wednesday, at Midnight, Headmistress Time, aka Central Standard Time.) We will start our new book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in our new term.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Repair
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Tshirt, Sweater, Pj’s
Brief Description: My mending pile has been sitting so long it’s becoming a room mate so I took it out onto the covered porch on a sunny day to make some headway. This submission is for seams on a t-shirt, pj pants, and a sweater.
Project Picture:

(I will spare you tho photo of the crotch of my husband’s pj’s. You’re welcome.)

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Table runner
Brief Description: My friend made this for me years ago and it was starting to show some wear. I stitched it up by hand (unskillfully, but one must start somewhere) and afterward I thought I kind of wish I had done the repairs in a deliberately obvious way like with orange or yellow thread and “visible mending” stitches. Ah well, perhaps next time. It took me a long time just to do this level of mending so maybe once i get a bit steadier of hand I can branch out.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP #1
Project Name & Page Link: Crumb quilted table runner
Brief Description: This table runner was made with a bunch of 6" crumb quilt squares that I made with no particular purpose in mind. It was only my second time quilting something, but I was pretty happy with how that came out, but then I just got completely paralyzed by the idea of doing the binding, and it sat 95% done for a good long while. When I finally steeled myself to do it, it wasn’t bad at all! I’d say I was 1 for 4 on even mitered corners, but it’s serviceable, and that’s what counts.
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Ah! I love that crumb quilt runner!!! :heart_eyes:

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Notes from the Headmistress…

Hey friends! I just did a points tally, and a few things came up in it, so I thought I’d go over them.

#1. Alphabetical order of project posts: We have many new members, and we’re thrilled to have you all! But one thing you might not have heard or seen yet that our older members know about, is that I ask people to try, when they are posting multiple projects at a time, to post them in alphabetical order by subject. This craftalong is vast, and there are so many project prompts. To keep track of House Points I use an enormous color coded spreadsheet. Posting your projects in alphabetical order allows me to move forward along the giant spreadsheet, rather than hop back and forth across dozens of prompts. (In this term we had 94 prompts across my spreadsheet to wade through.) In case you’re not sure what order things go in, I’ve got a list of subjects in alphabetical order in the House Points post above.

I know this probably seems silly and pedantic, but it’s really an enormous help to me while keeping track of this Craftalong.

#2. Adding the prompt into the Subject line: I’m not sure why this has started happening, but several people have been adding what the prompt is, into the subject line of their project header. This is unnecessary. It also makes it harder for me to see at a glance what the subject is when I’m doing point tallying. Just ‘Arithmancy’ or ‘Detention-Reparo’ are fine.

#3. End of Term: The Midsummer Term is ending on Wednesday night, at Midnight, Headmistress Time. (US Central Standard Time) All projects must be posted before then. Anything posted after midnight will not be counted on this term. The new term will start Thursday morning. Please wait till I announce the term is officially open before posting there.

3 Likes

Pretty sure this will be my last update this semester :stuck_out_tongue:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced studies
Project Name & Page Link: Pom pom bonanza!
Brief Description: I’ve made so many pom poms, and depending on how I want it to be in the end I might only have 1/3 of what I need.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Steamed buns from spirited away
Brief Description: Studio Ghibli has so many pretty worlds, and they add so much detail with the food. When my son watched spirited away he asked about steamed buns, which I had to try out of course. The recipe is real simple to follow, and the buns were really good. We filled them with nutella, but will so try ones with meat inside them.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress challenge
Project Name & Page Link: photo/menu holders
Brief Description: For this challenge I went back to the “love” theme of June which I missed. I love a lot of people, but for this round I made something for my boyfriend’s catering business. There was no time to order something online, because we didn’t know if it would come in time, and also because we couldn’t find the ones we wanted. So I decided to make some myself. I’m not entirely happy with how the round form was deformed :stuck_out_tongue: but they worked. I’m going to make them again differently, but at least we were able to use them for the party.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club
Project Name & Page Link: Ear warmer
Brief Description: Inspired by the colour scarlet, but also by Quirrell’s turban, I made ear warmers. It doesn’t look real pretty because the yarn I used is two toned, and the black is thinner than the red part, but it was the first crochet project I finished, so I’m quite proud of it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Jar lamp
Brief Description: This lamp was created outside on a nice day. The stick was sanded and drilled holes in, same with the lids. And then the cords were decorated with simple macrame braids.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Craft swap sketch book
Brief Description: For this class I changed the look of something. I like to keep track of things, and found this plain book I bought a while ago to use for ideas I have for the swaps I participate in. Of course it was too boring for me so I painted the cover. The idea behind it was “ideas are brewing” :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

6 Likes

I love your painting on the sketch book @imera :smiley:

I have a bunch more projects, but I can’t figure out where they fit in to the classes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes