CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: The Summer Quidditch Season is Official Open! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:
Round 1 will run for 5 weeks, and consists of 8 matches. Within each match there are two prompts. You may choose ONE prompt from each match, meaning you may complete up to 8 projects in Round 1. The teams which score the most goals during Round 1, will face off in Round 2. Good luck players!

2 Likes

Do the projects in Summer Quidditch count towards regular house points? :slight_smile:

Yes. They are just like all other prompts.

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

How exciting! I already have some ideas for the Quidditch Cup prompts! :trophy:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Ballycastle Bats
House: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Totoro Quilted Bookmark
Brief Description: “Craft something totally expected of you, in a totally YOU kind of way”
This project embodies my style of crafting to a tee! Quilting, cute fabrics, hand made, lots of care taken, specially designed to bring lots of joy to someone :love_letter: and just happens to be in one of my favourite colour combos - red and aqua :slight_smile:
(I can’t wait to share with you all what’s in the background when it’s finished!)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch #2, Sumbawanga Sunrays
**House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Doodle
Brief Description: I taped this super colorful doodle into my gratitude journal! It got me through a boring webinar.
**Project Picture:

1 Like

**Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
**House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name & Page Link: Desserts Delight
**Brief Description: I’ve been watching a lot of Moriah Elizabeth on YouTube because I think we all need some aggressively cheerful vibes in our lives right now. I was inspired to make these doodles by her Squishy Makeover series, which is always trending when she releases a new one! I also did my standard doodle in the middle because reasons.
**Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Planner Spread using a mini kit from Tilly Bee Plans
Brief Description: Playing catch-up in my memory planner/journal. This spread has coppery colors plus roses and a dove-like bird (both symbols of Venus/Aphrodite).

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Planner spread using a mini kit from Tillie Bee Plans
Brief Description: Catching up on old spreads and feeling nostalgic for a trip I took to London last year. It was a ton of fun and we packed a lot in, but there’s still plenty of stuff on my list to see.

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Planner spread using a mini kit from Tillie Bee Plans
Brief Description: The art in this kit feels very Hufflepuff in its bubbliness, cheer, and color palette. Yes, it’s more goldenrod/navy than yellow/black but I feel like it fits thematically. For those of us who are hazy in our color differentiation abilities it is close enough.

2 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
Project Name: Pottery Garden Markers
Project Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: To develop my alchemy skills I have worked with clay, chemical glazing and high temperatures to shape these things into humble garden markers.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class/Challenge: Iron Chef Blueberries!
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name and Link: Cherry and Blueberry cream pie

Description: I made this pie with a little bit of tweaking. Namely, halving the blueberries and adding cherries. So yummy!

Class/Challenge: Love & Pride Challenge
Project Name and Link: Daisy Uke Strap https://fabartdiy.org/daisy-granny-square-free-crochet-patterns-video/
Description: I love my niece! She and her family are going to be gone for a month on a road trip over her birthday. I really wanted to make her something special so I put a button on her ukulele and made her a strap. Now she can jam wherever she wants!

Class/Challenge: Advanced Studies Challenge

Project Name and Link: Stitch skirt for the youngest.

Description: Guys! I finally put in some time on one of my advanced studies challenges!! Specifically, my Transfiguration Challenge. I made another skirt for my kiddo! It’s made from Vogue 2777 from the 50’s. Definitely had to adjust the waist size.

And finally, I would like to remove my other Advanced studies project in History of Magic. I have gotten my pattern and materials out several times in hopes of making this corset and I find I just don’t have the several long amounts of time to dedicate to batches of making it. One day I might, but I just cannot see when as I have other projects I would much rather be working on in smaller quantities of time.

That said, I would like to propose a new Advanced Studies!

Project Name: Annie’s Afghan Sampler
Brief Description:

A friend has commissioned me to make the Annie’s Afghan Sampler for her. This is a sampler afghan that usually comes in a kit for beginner crocheters. However, I already have the needles and my friend purchased all of the yarn separately so I don’t have to wait to get a “new” section of pattern each month as I was able to purchase the entire pattern in one go. I have done the first two squares already (only single crochet and then double crochet) so I still have 28 blocks of different stitches each left to do. This will take me at least 6 weeks to complete, between finishing the rest of the squares, binding it all together, and weaving all of the ends in. My goal is to competently learn all of the new stitches I’ve never done and be completely done before school starts back up in the beginning of August.

3 Likes

Looks great! And timely for me- i have a large print cotton fabric i have been at a loss to decide what to make into and seeing this larger print work so well on a kids skirt opens up some ideas for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Everyone! I made so much stuff last term and failed to post any of it. :disappointed: I’m determined to start this term off strong and keep going, posting as I go, rather than letting it all pile up and intimidate me. That said, here is my first submission for the Midsummer Term!

Class: Astronomy
Project Description: I bought a set of patterns from Sejongstudio last year (with the help of Goggle translation of Russian!) and her patterns are all so wonderfully constructed! I made these shorts and LOVE them. They fit several of my dolls, but I like these best on Ridley. :slight_smile: Studying Scorpius, I really admired the curve of the tail, so these shorts are an homage to that, as you can see with the curved back seams.
Project Pics:

astronomy2

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Sumbawanga Sunrays
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Purple Potato Salad (French Potato Salad)
Brief Description: This purple potato salad could not be more bright in color. While the color balance is slightly off in this photo, I assure you it was insanely bright, but also a deeper amethyst purple. I don’t like mayo-based summer salads, but I do adore French potato salads which are dressed with a vinaigrette rather than a creamy sauce. The only thing I did differently was add a dash of garlic powder to the dressing, rather than use fresh garlic. I find fresh is too overpowering in this bright and tangy salad.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ballycastle Bats
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Suncatchers
Brief Description: I’ve been cleaning up my craft room, and coming across supplies either leftover from previous projects, or that I never got around to making, and am trying to use things up left and right. Let’s face it, beaded projects, especially ones made with rainbows, are very ME.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Fitchburg Finches
Project Name & Page Link: Owl Emporium Charm Bracelet
Brief Description: This bracelet was a special request from a friend. It features lots and lots of birds!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - June - Blueberries!
House: :yellow_heart: Gryffindor :heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Blueberry Sheet Pan Pancakes

Brief Description: Since following a keto diet I have not found a delicious pancake recipe, until today! I made them for a special Sunday morning breakfast - but it made 12 serves! :stuck_out_tongue: I did drastically reduce the added sweeteners, as I don’t eat much of those normally. Next time I will try to halve the recipe. Until then, I have frozen some portions, and the others will last the week in the fridge. I served them with some sugar free maple syrup and butter.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Peixinhos da horta and rice
Brief Description: One thing that brings me and my friends together is food. One of my closest friends lives in Portugal and we share recipes often. I asked for something new and got this interesting suggestion. There are multiple recipes online but I followed mostly her description.

For the batter I used a can of beer, flour, chilli powder, smoked paprika powder, salt and pepper. I dipped asparges beans and onion rings in it, but she suggested I could also use aubergine or zucchini.

For the rice I fried an onion, added garlic and diced tomatoes. When it cooked for a while I added rice, and once I was happy with it I added vegetable stock and let it boil until the rice was cooked.

Project Picture:

1 Like

PrincessP, way to go! My husband and I just began keto two days after having our last slice of pie lol. There are loads of yummy keto recipes out there that I’m looking forward to trying.

1 Like

@imera that all looks SO TASTY!! Awesome job!

Class: Quidditch #2 Sumbawanga Sunrays: The Sunrays are an east African Quidditch that play out of Tanzania. Please craft something in bright colors.
Project Description: Blythe is showing her support for the Sumbawanga Sunrays with this bright sundress. :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Description: These fun shorts are like the green pair I made, using a pairing of plain pink fabric, and pink with gold hearts.
Project Pic:

3 Likes

I first lost 25kg (55 pounds) a couple of years ago, but then had a break from keto - which wasn’t a great idea >_<. Now I’m back since the end of Jan this year, and I have another 8 or so kilos (17 pounds) to go and I will be at my goal weight. Best of luck to you and your husband, I love keto!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 10
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Poppy Pendant on Sari Silk Ribbon
Brief Description: This piece was just sent off to an LC friend who I adore. She continues to inspire me with her open and honest friendship, her enthusiasm for whatever I’m working on at the moment, her solid advice on just about everything under the sun, and most of all her inherent outside-the-box thinking. I would say that much of our friendship is built upon our pushing one another to new levels of creativity, and I would be much the poorer without it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Stonewall Stormers
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Silk Air Plant Hanger
Brief Description: This piece was just sent off to an LC friend on Saturday, and already arrived! It’s an air plant hanger, made from Darn Good Yarn’s Worsted Weight Silk Roving yarn. It’s definitely what I would consider one the best yarns to work with. It’s upcycled from silk waste that would otherwise end in a landfill, it’s incredibly smooth and a pleasure to crochet with, and best of all, it’s fair trade, meaning the artisans who make it are paid a fair wage, and given a safe space to work. (Really sorry for the lousy picture!)
Project Picture: