CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

I have a bit of an advanced studies Friday update. I finished the last two squares on the sampler Afghan. Now I’ve begun to block them. The trouble is, I thought I had more t-pins! So I can only block 4 at a time instead of the 16 I was planning… It’s my DH and my 17 year anniversary today so it definitely won’t get done this weekend. I’m really hoping to have everything blocked and ends woven by next weekend so I can start putting them together.

3 Likes

Class Title: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: “Survivor” Adult Merit Badge
Brief Description: Can we say mask making and wearing is an upcoming trend? I’m going to anyway. This badge was inspired by the newest fashion craze sweeping the nation!
Project Picture:

Class Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Happiest in the Company of Oaks Badge
Brief Description: Made for the recent Adult Merit Badge swap, this badge includes lots of shades of blue.
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Detention: WIP
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Embroidered Inchie Hoop
Brief Description: I started this project on Deadster with the intention of each square representing a year of my life. Well, seeing as how there are 32 squares, I started this project 5 years ago! Glad to finally call it finished.
Project Picture:

Class Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Kindle Cover
Brief Description: This kindle case was made with a lining, a layer of batting, and an decorative outer fabric - three layers of protection for my favorite electronic.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Spearmint + Rosemary Soap
Brief Description: My good friend is a soap maker that has fallen out of her craft. I made soap in college for a local shop owner and have wanted to pick it up again, but haven’t wanted to invest the money on materials and tools. We motivated each other to jump back into soap making together! These are all her supplies and materials that she had left over from past projects. We hope to make soap more regularly together so I can start pitching in more than just an extra set of hands.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Reminder :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Round 1 will close on July 19th, and Round 2 will begin on July 20th. Be sure to get in any Round 1 projects before the next round starts.

2 Likes

Thanks! Trust me, I know the FBA struggle well. :slight_smile: A bolt of muslin is a good idea, then there’s no fear of wasting fabric.

I love that survivor patch, and I can imagine that soap must smell amazing!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Gimbi Giant Slayers :: Something large in size
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Crosses Mini Quilt
Brief Description: I made this mini quilt for a friend in a swap - it is around 20 inches square. Feel free to click on the link for some more pics and info about the quilt x
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Stonewall Stormers :: Craft something with a supply you consider the best/your favorite.
House: :heart: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Yellow Quilt Block for a friend
Brief Description: A friend of mine was really struggling to find enough yellow fabrics for a rainbow quilt she is making, so as a surprise I delved into my most precious fabric stash to fussy cut the parts of this block for her. Within this block are some of my favourite fabric designers including Heather Ross and Ayumi Takahashi. Normally I use every inch of fabric - so it was a little painful to ‘waste’ fabric around the fussy cuts :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Sweetwater All-Stars :: Something featuring stars, sparkles, or inspired by the heavens.
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Quilting Bee Blocks
Brief Description: Earlier this year I started a quilting bee, which has been such a wonderful opportunity to connect with other sewists (albeit online) whose ages range from mid 30s to mid 80s. We have challenged each other out of our comfort zones with a wide variety of style and fabric preferences in the group. All round it’s been a great experience. These are the blocks that I made for one of the Queen Bees :princess:t2: :honeybee: Our brief was white stars on a blue background - sewists choice. I designed the paper piecing pattern for the 2-star block myself :relaxed:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Cup - Montrose Magpies :: Something in your most successful medium
House: :heart: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Will add a link when I make a post
Brief Description: Sewing is most definitely my ‘go-to’ craft. I have the most confidence and largest stash :stuck_out_tongue: My partner is tennis mad :tennis: - in the best way :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: however, there are tennis balls all around our house :stuck_out_tongue: I thought this would be a perfect item to make for him to keep some of the tennis balls in one place and stop them getting underfoot :wink: It holds around 20 balls.

This basket uses a pattern called the 1 Hour Basket which I downloaded for free years ago. Now I think I can gather it’s a paid pattern - however blueprint is no longer in operation :confused: so sorry if you wanted to make one :confounded:
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Beautiful sewing! Love the star quilt panel. I just recently picked up some fabrics with the intention of learning. Haven’t touched a seeing machine since 8th grade Home Ec. :sweat_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch, Holyhead Harpies (inspired by a woman you admires)
House: Slytherin :snake::black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Easy Gluten Free Shortcakes
Brief Description: We’re celebrating my mom’s birthday tomorrow (12th) via a zoom call, and I’m dropping off these for her to enjoy. I don’t think she’s had strawberry shortcake in years. I taste tested the one from the photo, since this is a new recipe for me. It was gooooood.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Atronomy, something curved
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Strawberry shortcakes
Brief Description: Look at those lovely curves on the uncut shortcakes! To go with the previous GF shortcakes for my mom, I tested this recipe for Keto shortcakes that my fiance and I can enjoy on the zoom call with mom. Modifications : I substituted 1/4 c of the almond flour for coconut flour, used Birchbenders maple flavored Magic Syrup, and blueberries instead of strawberries for the plated picture, so fiance could it eat.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: PJ Allen’s Grandma’s Favorite dishcloth (no holes version)
Brief Description:
I’ve have some Red Heart scrubby yarn for a while, and decided to combine it with some coordinating Sugar & Cream cotton for a new washcloth.
Photo

4 Likes

I didn’t even know ‘scrubby’ yarn was a thing :stuck_out_tongue:
So cool!

And I love that you share keto recipes :raised_hands:t2: I might give these a try :smile_cat:

1 Like

Enjoyed the shortcakes, yummy

1 Like

Nice scrubby

Love the survivor patch.

1 Like

Blueberries look good also

1 Like

Challenge: Chapter 12: The Mirror of Erised July 6-19
House: Hufflepuff
Project Description: I’ve always associated darning with socks. This darning happens to be what I used as visible mending for one of my daughters’ beloved bags. One of her rabbits chewed holes in it, and she asked if I could fix it. It was the perfect opportunity to try one of the things I’d seen on Instagram that Boukhou does a lot. (She makes all kinds of beautiful things in addition to doing pretty mending.) I used colours to match the mending to the noodle bowl. :slight_smile: There’s one more on the back as well.
Project Pic:

5 Likes

Such a great idea! I need me a whole host of those!

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress’ Challenge - July
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Doll Dress
Brief Description: Stars :heavy_check_mark: Stripes :heavy_check_mark:. I did not set it on fire though!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Peaches
Project Name & Page Link: Peach Crisp
Brief Description: I’m so glad peaches came up as this months Iron Chef prompt! I adore peaches, but I like them firm, and find that even if I buy rock hard ones at the store, 2 days later they are soft. So a perfect excuse to turn them into Peach Crisp. I followed the recipe exactly, except that I added in allspice & cloves along with the nutmeg to the fruit mixture, and I added allspice & cloves with the cinnamon in the crumble topping. I also didn’t bother to peel the peaches, just washed them well. Even my husband who isn’t a huge peach fan loved this crisp. My only note is that next time I make the recipe, I’ll choose a wider pan, so the huge amount of topping has more surface area to get crispified.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

That looks SO GOOD.