CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Beer Margaritas
Brief Description: A made a couple batches of beer Margaritas this weekend. They are delicious and so easy! They are a pitcher drink, so they will feed a crowd, or can be stored and drank off for awhile in the fridge. https://drinkedin.net/cocktail-reviews/148849-beer-margarita-recipe.html
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Salted Caramel Frosted Chocolate cupcakes
Brief Description: I’ve been craving chocolate cake, so it was time to make a batch of cupcakes. Cupcakes so I could share them with others and not eat an entire cake on my own. I made up chocolate cupcakes, from scratch. I decided on salted caramel frosting. But first, I had to make salted caramel sauce and then the salted caramel buttercream frosting. I scooped out some of the cake and poured in some of the extra salted caramel sauce to make them surprise cupcakes! I drizzled some more on top of the buttercream. They turned out so delicious!!! They are my sister’s favorite cupcakes, and I usually make them for her birthday. On Saturday, we drove all over town delivering the cupcakes to family, sharing the love. <3
This recipe for the cake: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17528/extreme-chocolate-cake/
Salted caramel sauce: https://www.ihearteating.com/salted-caramel-sauce/
Frosting: https://www.ihearteating.com/salted-caramel-buttercream-frosting-recipe/
Project Picture:

2 Likes

OMG both of these things look AMAZING!

I appreciate it! Your AS is officially added to the log! :smile:

1 Like

Oh man, somehow my AS time traveled to 2002. LOL…

Haha…I just have a stashed time turner, didn’t you know? :wink:

It’s fixed now. :slight_smile:

And, I used the time turner to add your AS proposal in the next reply, too. :woman_mage:

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: CGOA Masters Program: Advanced Stitches & Techniques
House: Slytherin
Brief Description: This is the second level of the Crochet Guild of America Master Program. A comprehensive explanation of the course is available on their website. It basically takes you through testing your ability to follow pattern directions, measure and achieve a given gauge, and complete specific stitch patterns through gauge swatches and designated end projects such as an accessory/garment/etc. There are writing prompts to complete for each study section. In the end, the entire portfolio of swatches and prompts is mailed in to the CGOA and judged for accuracy, neatness, etc. I purchased the course as a way to test my own crochet abilities, because who doesn’t love arbitrary goals and accomplishments?

1 Like

@jillybeans Those cupcakes look (and sound) amazing. You have some very lucky local friends & family!

Imma need that time turner to fit more knitting into my day… :laughing:

1 Like

**Class or Challenge Title: Divination
**House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name & Page Link: Procreate Practice with a Conure
**Brief Description: Procreate is a drawing program for the iPad that is kind of like Photoshop. You draw in several layers that overlap each other. Each one is mostly transparent. (Think tracing paper with lots of different smudges and lines on each sheet that make a coherent picture when they’re all on top of each other.) This bird probably didn’t need 14 layers, but it has them! I was playing with different brushes and how colors looked on top of each other with the help of some Skillshare classes. I am pleased with this because I feel like it’s immediately recognizable. My reference photo is here: https://birdtricksstore.com/ (Just scroll down, and check them out on YouTube if you have birds or like to live vicariously like I do!) This is Phoebe, Lily, or Detka. I can’t tell them apart. :upside_down_face:
Project Picture: REQUIRED! No picture = No House Points

[/quote]

3 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
**Project Name & Page Link: Summer Purse
**Brief Description: I have had this turquoise yarn that is actually gauzy fabric with some thread for more than 15 years, and the mustard colored yarn is 2-3 years old. I played chicken with both balls and won with both. I need more fun coordinating pins to go on the strap. I used this pattern but I will warn you that gauge is important because your two halves need to fit together and you might have to do some creative shaping with your contrasting color to make them fit. Ask me how I know. :thinking:
**Project Picture:

2 Likes

I’m canning today!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Holyhead Harpies
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Dilled Green Tomato Pickles
Brief Description: I had some beautiful dill flowers in bloom in my herb garden, and wanted to use them up before they died in the heat, so I went through my Ball canning book to find a good recipe to use them in. I came across this unusual one for green tomato pickles. The cider vinegar I used in the brine makes them appear golden, but I assure you they are green tomatoes. The recipe made 8 pints, plus some extra that I have stashed in the fridge for a few days, till the flavor mellows. (Side note: I love the two different sets of unusually shaped pint jars, though traditional wide-mouths might have been better for these big hunks of tomato.)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Moutohora Macaws
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Basic Tomato Salsa
Brief Description: Red tomato salsa! This recipe uses primary red tomatoes, along with some onion, green bell pepper, and jalapenos from my garden. It made 8 half-pints, and some extra for my husband to demolish over the course of the week.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Oooh, salsa!! :smile:

I’m hoping to do a few more recipes over the next month. My aunt suggested corn relish, and in the fall I’m hoping to do another batch of Bananas Foster Butter and some Cran-Apple or Christmas Jam.

1 Like

I have so many more canning plans for the summer! I planted 9 cucumber plants, and they are doing fabulous! I’m going to have so many cucumbers, soon! If I can find some reasonably priced peaches, I want to can some and do some more jam.

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quiddich - Holyhead Harpies
Project Name & Page Link: Dill Pickles
Brief Description: I finally had enough cucumbers from the garden for a small batch of pickle spears. I’ve been using MissingWillow’s blue ribbon recipe for 8 years, but decided to change it up for the first time and did a different fill recipe from the ball book. You have to soak them in a salt water bath for 24 hrs before canning them. I had enough for 2 jars. The dill heads are from my garden, as well.

Project Picture:

4 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch- Holyhead Harpies
**Project Name & Page Link: Slice of Lime
**Brief Description: I’m still going through Skillshare classes and playing around on Procreate. This was today’s picture! It fits the prompt because it is very, very green.
**Project Picture:

4 Likes

It’s a lovely shade of green! I actually have lime juice in my glass of water currently. :green_heart:

Everyone has such amazing projects! All of those amazing canned goods❤️

Since I moved to Los Angeles I have not been able to do a lot of crafting or art. We are still unpacking boxes! If anyone wants some beading supplies I’m more than happy to send a random package in the mail.

My cancer has progressed to the point where I can’t feel my right foot anymore. I’ve started chemo therapy again. It makes me so tired!

I get so much joy from seeing all of your projects! Hopefully I’ll be able to join in again soon.

3 Likes

I’m so glad to see you here @ErinAquaheart! I’m sorry to hear you’re on chemo again. That must be so hard. I hope you’re at least liking your new home. Be sure to say hi to Technicolor for all of us. :green_heart:

Good to see you, Erin!

Ugh. Cancer Sucks! I have the owl paintings you made for my girls hanging in their room and I think of you often…hang in there!

1 Like