CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Barnton
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Strawberry Jam Crumble Bars
Brief Description: This recipe used up the last of my Strawberry Elderflower Jam from last season. I didn’t have any fresh strawberries, so I threw in some blueberries instead. I went with this particular recipe because it included less butter and sugar than many of the others, and added in some rolled oats.
Project Picture:

1 Like

That looks delicious!

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Barnton
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Doll Dresses
Brief Description: Do you ever have those strange scraps in your stash that are just taunting you to use up even though there’s nothing particular that they would be useful for? This one had an oversized print, but I went ahead and made some doll dresses out of it anyway to see how they would look, and I kind of like them!
IMG_0252 (500x333)

1 Like

class DADA
house Hufflepuff
project name face masks
brief description numerous friends asked for masks, so I made a bunch to give away, but the only pic I have is the ad a friend suggested(I can’t say no, so a friend suggested selling to avoid getting taken advantage of) - I WILL NOT SELL HERE - ignore prices

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Holyhead Harpies - Something green (color or eco-friendly)
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Cacti Loaded Tag
Brief Description: I made my first altered tag for a swap and I really love how it turned out. I had just purchased some new papers and one of the pads was succulents and cacti…so I was very happy to see this as one of my swap partners themes. I made the background with watercolours and salt grains - a technique I learnt while completing a Domestika course.
I made the pocket expandable by adding side flaps - a tip I learnt while watching a YouTube Tutorial
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology - Includes green element
House: :heart: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: My First Greenhouse
Brief Description: Every year I get more and more into gardening, which I absolutely love! This was the first year I’ve bought a greenhouse. I assembled it in my kitchen because I was going to store it in my laundry, but decided to put it outside.
I planted seeds for: 7 types of tomatoes, 2 types of eggplant, 2 types of chilli, cape gooseberries (which are going to be christmas presents), 3 types of lettuce, snow peas, mustard greens, 5 types of flowers, silverbeet and basil. This project took me most of Sunday, which was a beautiful day in Melbourne (I even got a little sunburnt in Winter!)
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Hi Guys!! Sorry for the delay! I think I was in denial that it’s August already!! Anyway, here’s the new Iron Chef Hogwarts challenge! :woman_cook: :shallow_pan_of_food: :hocho:

August Secret Ingredient: Limes!
Limes are the perfect accent to summer dishes and drinks. Give this cilantro lime salmon with mango salsa a try, or maybe a peach salad with chili and lime. What about grilled lime and chipotle watermelon skewers?

4 Likes

OOooooohhhh… I love lime! Gonna have to search for some fun recipes and see what calls to me.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve done an Iron Chef challenge yet! I just google a recipe for Keto Key Lime Pie… I’ve never had normal key lime pie, so I don’t have anything to compare taste to & have no expectations! LOL.

:upside_down_face: :green_heart:

2 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: Not actually sure if the Lettuce Help Our Community Challenge is continuing in August
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch
Brief Description: The pilot for the university library where I work started this week, so I have started making back-up masks for our student employees. These kids are generally awesome but given their inability to keep track of their name badges for work I have a feeling that masks will be a frequent casualty of Life. Not exactly the hippest fabric for the Gen Z crowd, but it’s what I have on hand.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: ???
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: I have my first batch of successful masks! If youth consider 2 masks a batch… I’m an extreme novice at sewing. I finally got my fabric washed, and reverse engineered a mask that a friend made! Instead of, you know, selling for the pattern ahead of time… She made option 3 of the Craft Passion masks, which has a pocket for filters. I love how these fit, and I’ll be making more for myself. This batch will be sent to my mother in law, who is a teaching assistant.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 2, Barnton - Pair of something
House: Slytherin :snake: :black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Crochet earrings, Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square
Brief Description: I crocheted up a few teeny square motifs from Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square crochet motif book (sorry, can’t link the pattern, copyright!).
I used some #10 crochet thread, faux hematite beads, and silver/silver plated findings. was going to add more beads to dangle from the bottom corners, but I think less is more here.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

No, the LC Masks Challenges have ended. I ran 3 rounds of it, and need a break for now.

2 Likes

Class: Charms
Project Description: Learning about the baubillious charm inspired me to make this white hat for Ridley (or a friend)
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - Stash Challenge
Project Description: I made an MSD-sized hat for Ridley from some nice, soft stash yarn. It’s hard to tell from the lighting in this pic, but this hat is white and light blue.
Project Pic:

Class: House Unity
Project Description: This Ravenclaw blanket for the end of Ridley’s bed is Ravenclaw-themed! :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Expecto Patronum Challenge
Project Description: My mom needed some masks because she’s allergic to elastic and has trouble with her glasses fogging, so I made these with a crocheted tie-chain and a little nose pocket for a nose wire. Success!
Project Pic:

1 Like

Love the crochet chain ties on your masks Moonflame!

@Trillian - While the Lettuce Help Our Communities LC Challenge is over, I started a Mask-Along thread to give us mask makers a place to share. Of course Expecto Patronum here is still an option too!

1 Like

Oh that’s a great idea with the crochet chain. I only have so many shoe laces lying around. :laughing:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #2
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial
**Brief Description:**Some face masks for friends.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #3
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #4

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Falmouth Falcons, craft something in dark colors
Project Name & Page Link: Plant Pot
Brief Description: I need a few more plant pots so created this one in dark, earthy colors.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Chudley Cannons
Project Name & Page Link: Dog Harness
Brief Description: I created an even smaller harness for my young puppy, since the last one ended up being too large. https://blog.dogundermydesk.com/2010/11/little-dog-harness-tutorial/

3 Likes

@Abbeeroad and @CraftsUntold, thank you! I was musing aloud about what to use and my daughter suggested the crocheted chain idea. I love it so much that I made more for our fam with chains, and I think I’ll convert my elastic ones, too!

More masks today:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #2
Project Description: More masks for the fam! This time, Mando Masks
Project Pic:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #3
Project Description: Happy Cupcakes Masks for the fam!
Project Pic:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef: Lime
House: Slytherin :snake::black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Key Lime Pie
Brief Description: I have never had key lime pie, so I wasn’t going to be comparing it to what it should taste like normally. I could just enjoy something new !

3 Likes