CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #2
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: Batch # 2! I spent time yesterday tracing and cutting all the pieces, and it took me a couple hours today to sew everything together. Curves are hard to sew, and topstitching on a curve is HARD, but each one I do gets a little bit neater. 8 masks total: two for my FIL, one more for my MIL, one for my mom, some for me, and an extra or two if a friend needs it. I really love this colorful fabric, I made sure to keep a small amount for something else for myself. Next batch will be Halloween themed…

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Lime
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Lime & Zucchini Cake
Brief Description: After Abbeeroad announced that this month’s Iron Chef secret ingredient was lime, I went searching for baking recipes. This is the result! It is moist from the zucchini, has a nutty flavor from the pistachios, and a brightness from the lime.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Hi @plaidpineapple. In your post from 4 days ago (Aug 6th), you posted a project for the Falmouth Falcons, and one for the Chudley Cannons. I think you were fulfilling prompts from Round 1 of Quidditch. Round 1 ended on July 19th, and we’re now in Round 2, where there is no prompt for the Falmouth Falcons. There is a prompt for the Cannons, but it is a new one, and the wording of your post seems to indicate you were answering the old one. Therefore neither your plant pot or your second dog harness have been counted. If you wish to resubmit them under other prompts, please do so, and let me know so I can make sure you get points for them.

Sorry for the long post, I’ve been quite creative during my vacation at home :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Book club
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Dragon’s beard
Brief Description: Inspired by dragon we made Dragon’s beard. I realised after we’ve made it and taken it to family that we forgot to take pictures of the better results, but here you have one of the first tries that I helped my son make. It wasn’t perfect, but we got the hang of it eventually, even though ours weren’t nearly as fine as the ones vendors in China make.
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Creme Brulee
Brief Description: I had never used my food torch before, so this was a first. Making the creme was easy, torching it as well, way easier than I thought it would be. I had three kids with me at the time so they each got to torch their own pot :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: stash
Project Name & Page Link: Kitchen scrubbies
Brief Description: I’ve been saving up the netting from onions and so on, I realised I had a lot of them and then decided I needed to do something with them. I do have scrubbies, but they aren’t that kind with my more delicate pans, these on the other hand work great as they are only plastic. I hand stitched them, and then a few days later made another two, so now the mesh get to be useful for a little longer.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Cockroach donuts! with cream, caramel and chocolate
Brief Description: I’ve had this recipe for a few years, always telling me that “this year I’ll make it”. I haven’t, not until now. When I saw the title of the challenge I remembered this recipe and was determined to finally make it. Mine might not be as great looking as the original ones, I messed up with the size of the head and didn’t realise it until later, but they still looked great enough, at least the kids loved the look and taste of them :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Fidget board
Brief Description: My son was too old when I first came across fidget boards (not that it stopped him from playing with this one) but I had a nephew who just became one year old and who this gift would be perfect for. I let my mom know about my plan and she decided to help me out, she also found a few things we were able to add to the board.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch: Chudley Cannons
Project Name & Page Link: Cheese souffle
Brief Description: I’ve certainly see the souffle lose all the air simply because someone closed the door in the next room, and always feared this recipe. I decided that I’m old enough to try and tackle it now, so I did. I mean, it lost some air, but really slowly. One thing I did “wrong” was not using smaller pots, but I don’t have any smaller, so they didn’t become big and tall. But it certainly tasted great!
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Quidditch: Sweetwater All-Star
Project Name & Page Link: Star fruit upside down cake
Brief Description: Star fruit doesn’t have as an amazing taste like pineapple, but this recipe made it more yummy. I think it would have been even better had I added chopped up star fruit to the batter. Oh, I left the fruit to soak in a juice to give it even more flavour, it worked great.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Pom pom chair
Brief Description: Making pom poms sounds easy, right? They aren’t that hard to make but when you need as many as I will need then they take a long time. I’ve bought the yarn, and even found a chair I really like and would see covered in pom poms, so all I have to do now is start. There will be a lot of repeating action before I’m even close to covering the chair, and once the pom poms are made I need to cut them so they are round. There are other things I also have to do, like making a cover for the chair, and maybe even finding new legs for it.

I love your idea for reusing the materials for the scrubbies! Nice work :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity - Inspired by Another House
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: SECRET! Swap Spoiler ahead!
Brief Description: I’ll say it again, SWAP SPOILER WARNING! Kittykill, this means you don’t get to look! :wink:
Made this item as part of the Vintage Halloween Swap.

Summary

Inspired by Ravenclaw, of course. This is a free pattern, available on Ravelry and the designer’s blog. It used up every last bit of the black acrylic yarn I had (which wasn’t much), which is sad because it seems like Lion Brand has discontinued my favorite yarn for amigurumi, Vanna’s choice :sob: .

Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch - Sweetwater All-Stars
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Dill Pickle Slices! (8/9/20)
Brief Description: I had enough cucumbers from the garden again for another batch of pickles! I did some slices this time, 2 sandwich slices and 3 hamburger slice style. 5 total jars!
https://www.freshpreserving.com/blog/sliced-dill-pickles
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch - Barnton Quidditch
Project Name & Page Link: Dill Pickle Spears! (8/4/20)
Brief Description: I’ve been canning in small batches when I get enough to do so. Here is my second small batch of the dill pickle spears! Just a cute couple of pickles! :wink:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Omg, so cute!! <3

1 Like

:wink:

Your AS proposal has been added to the project log @imera!

So cooool!

My goal is to grow ALL OF THE CUCUMBERS this year and I would really love to make some pickles, but preserving is a little scary to me … I’m not sure why :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

@PrincessP, I felt the same way. I was curious about canning but worried that I’d make a mistake and someone would get sick. So a few years ago I gave myself a challenge (an Advanced Studies project in the HPC actually), to make 7-11 canning projects over one summer; including 2-3 infusions, 2-3 pickles, 1-2 condiments, 2-3 jams/jellies & 1-2 dry good mixes. I ended up making 20 recipes, that resulted in 105 jars of food!

I just tried to find my post on Craftster to link to, but it looks like it’s not viewable now. :frowning_face: In it, I gave a list of detailed advice on how to get started canning, based on what I had learned that season. I have a PDF of the post tha I saved before the site was frozen in December. I’ll try to post it here on LC later today. For now, here are my top three pieces of advice:

#1. Get the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It is totally affordable from Amazon, but you can also certainly find it at your local library.

#2. Read everything about the canning process first. And read about it in the Ball Book. They are a time tested company, and their recipes have been tested and perfected over those years. If you find a shiny looking book full of pretty pictures by someone else, by all means, check it out too. But consider the Ball Book the bible of canning. Everything I made out of it came out exactly as described.

#2.5. Read the whole recipe you are about to create, top to bottom. Double check to have everything you need before you start. Go to the store for the thing you forgot. Then read the whole darn thing through again, just to be certain.

#4. Start with something simple, that you won’t mind eating all of right away, if the jars somehow don’t seal. And something that doesn’t require expensive ingredients. If you are growing a pot of tomatoes on your deck, or your neighbor gives you 30 zucchini, try something like salsa or zucchini pickles.

1 Like

Ok, here it is @PrincessP:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ballycastle Bats
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Navy Blue Dice Bag
Brief Description: I’ve had a lot of success with my dragon egg dice bags in the past, and I’m trying to stash bust more yarn and scales, so I whipped up another one. This time in navy blue ands silver.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Sweetwater All-Stars
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: Yesterday I made a batch of Peach & Jalapeno Pepper Jelly. Sadly only 5 out of my 9 jars sealed. But the color and texture came out great.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: Saving the Pepper Jelly
Brief Description: Today I managed to reprocess my unsealed jelly from yesterday’s batch, with new lids. I dumped the 4 unsealed jars back into a pan, and warmed it slowly, while heating the canner, jars and lids. Then I resealed it into 5 jars (replacing a half pint with 2 4-oz jars) to fit the new lids I had.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Hufflepuff Dice Bag
Brief Description: I have a friend who is the very epitome of Hufflepuff. A fiercely loyal and true friend, who values hard work and fairness. So I whipped him up a Hufflepuff themed dice bag.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Pillow Covers
Brief Description: I’m taking over the basement to for our homeschooling room. It’s a dungeon in there. So, I made pillow covers to hide and protect the extremely old and ugly pillows on the couch. I had SO MUCH fabric, so I used some cute flannel and fleece. They envelope pillow covers so they can be taken off and washed. Three pieces of fabric sewn together.
Project Picture

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Star Baby Blanket
Brief Description: This project was created for an LC friend who is expecting. I don’t think she’ll see this post, but I’m blurring the picture anyways. I wanted to go gender neutral, so I found this buttercup yellow and soft turquoise in my stash, and picked up a skein of white with color speckles. The pattern is called 6 Day Star Blanket, and alternates bands of dc with bands of granny.
Project Picture:

3 Likes