CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #1
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Patronus Fabric Masks
Brief Description: I used up a lot of my fabric scraps making masks earlier in the pandemic, and decided it was time to order a few new pieces to make masks out of fabrics picked just for that. This pair was made from a cream HP Patronus print from Camelot fabrics. I used Magpie’s pattern and some nose guards from Advanced Manufacturing for the first time. I like the one piece tie, but I’m not sure what I think of the nose piece yet.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

I finally finished some projects!

Class/Challenge: Detention: Stash 2/5
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket
Brief Description: For detention, I used up 11,560 yards (~10570 m & ~6.5 miles! :open_mouth:) of stash yarn making a blanket. It’s twin size & the yarn is Lion Brand Mandala (Gnome colorway) with a grey Lion Brand Pound of Love border.
Project Picture:

(pattern)

Class/Challenge: Headmistress Challenge - August
Project Name: Stash Basket
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made a basket using yarn that’s been in my stash since I started learning to crochet. It’s not really anything special, I just had a limited amount & didn’t know what to make with it. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(pattern)

4 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Sophie’s Universe Blanket
Brief Description: Sophie’s Universe has been in my queue for multiple years. I bought the book & yarn pack a few years ago & it’s finally time to make it. :smile: It was originally a 20 week crochet-along, so I expect it will take a month or more.

@MistressJennie and @jellybean - your AS projects have been added to the project log!

The Hygge blanket looks so cozy and Sophie’s Universe looks GORGEOUS! :star_struck: Can’t wait to see updates!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Face Mask Strap!
Brief Description: Ya’ll! I made my first topic post! I haven’t added anything in a long time, and this is my first on the site! It has a tutorial and everything! My SIL asked if I had something I could add to the masks that my niece could have so she wouln’t loose her mask when she took it off lunch. A length of ribbon and some snaps later, BOOM! We transformed her mask with a removable strap so she can now take it off and keep it around her neck. I made like 5 of them, but I only managed to take a picture of mine and my eldest’s.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 13: Nicolas Flamel
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks! :wink:
Brief Description: I think I’ve tired out the expecto patronum challenge, so I will put some masks into prompts instead. lol These are for my BIL, sister, and dad and it will save us from spreading germs. I’m hard on the face masks with everyone. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma in february, which is the most aggressive brain tumor. She is currently working through six months of once a month chemo. So her immune system is always compromised. Since we share a home with her, we all have to be very careful. Its why I’ve been making so many masks. The more masks out there, the more she will be protected from others. Its my current passion and helps my anxiety about this whole situation more.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch! - Moutohora Macaws
Project Name & Page Link: Canned Sliced Peaches
Brief Description: I canned some peaches this week! I LOVE peaches and so do my kiddos! I picked up a couple boxes of peaches up at the local farm. I boiled them for 30 seconds and then into ice water to easily remove the skin, then sliced them up, added hot light syrup to the jars and then steam canned. (Check out my cute helper! That’s the little one!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Masks for my niece!
Brief Description: I made these 5 masks for someone I love dearly, my niece! She is heading back to school soon and needs more masks. She said she loves mine the most, so how could I not make her more?! My kid masks are 5"x7" with two pleats, a pipecleaner inside on the top and ear loop made out of soft stretchy material. (You can see a couple of the mask straps that I made her attached, too.)
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Best of luck to your mom! Yeah, I found mask making to be helpful with my anxiety about the whole situation. It’s one of the few tangible things I can do to help the situation, make masks and give them away to friends and family. I’ll actually be stopping at the post office to drop off a few masks packages this weekend, and the fiance and I will drive around to our local people and do drop offs. Like some crazy pandemic Santa Claus. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Advanced Studies Friday Update…
I’ve gotten through the first 24 rows of my hygge throw!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies (offer protection)
House: Slytherin :snake: :thread:
Project Name & Page Link: Craft Passion Mask Tutorial
Brief Description:
I have yet another batch of masks, and these will also be passed off to friends and family. Offers protection from other less careful muggles.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Wait. It’s Friday again??

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch R3: Ballycastle Bats - Halloween
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Skull Doily (Ravelry Link)
Brief Description:
This is another item for my Vintage Halloween swap box. The pattern link has been blurred out, it links to a ravelry crochet pattern page.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch R3: Sweetwater Allstars - Scraps
House: Slytherin :snake: :thread:
Project Name & Page Link: Typically Simple Fabric Mug Rug Tutorial
Brief Description:
This is another item for my Vintage Halloween swap box. There was no official pattern to follow, just an extremely basic picture tutorial. The material was left over from some masks that I made earlier.
Project Picture:

Edited: swap partner received items, unblurred all spoilers.

4 Likes

@CraftsUntold: THAT DOILY IS AMAZING! :skull:

1 Like

Beautiful work!! <3

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #2
Project Name & Page Link: Black & Teal Patronus Masks
Brief Description: I’m on a mask making binge again. Two HP Patronus masks in black & teal! One for me, and one for…
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #3
Project Name & Page Link: Strawberry Masks
Brief Description: A pair of sweet strawberry masks. One for me, one for my mom.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #4
Project Name & Page Link: D&D Masks
Brief Description: Two D&D inspired masks for my Dungeon Master husband. Maps and dice.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #5
Project Name & Page Link: Creepy Halloween Mask
Brief Description: One more for my dad. I thought he’d love the creepy vibe of this fabric.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Peach Cobbler Jam
Brief Description: Need more energy? Well this sweet jam will give you a burst! I bought a box of peaches last weekend and used them up this week in various canning adventures. This is just like peach jam, but with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves added to it. I made it last year and it is soooo good! Especially on fresh baked biscuits.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Stash Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: OWS Stuffie!
Brief Description: I claimed thanate for a stuffie for her kiddo in the OWS swap. I didn’t have to buy a single thing for it, since I’m just swimming in supplies right now. Its soft and my girls are so jealous that I’m going to have to make them ones as well!
Link to pattern from etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/539790422/bear-sewing-pattern-teddy-bear-pattern
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Unicorn poop cookies
Brief Description: Inspired by the unicorn in this chapter I made unicorn poop cookies for my son and my new family. It was a hit with them all.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch round 3, Barnton Quidditch
Project Name & Page Link: Saffron white chocolate cornflakes tart
Brief Description:* My mom kindly gave me all the saffron she had (as in she bought it even though she doesn’t like making food). I realised when reading this prompt that I had not used it either, so this was the perfect opportunity. Ok, I couldn’t get the cornflakes to stick, so I transferred it to a pot instead. Because white chocolate is a bit too sweet for my taste I tried adding some orange peel and juice, which made it far nicer in taste I think.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch round 3, Stonewall Stormers
Project Name & Page Link: Norwegian meatballs with gravy
Brief Description: This dish doesn’t look that amazing but I love the taste of the meatballs and the gravy. My trick to make the gravy is to add some Worcestershire sauce, chilli and a few bay leaves. I mean, it could have some steamed vegetables on the side, but I didn’t have them at the time so I ate it without those this time. Had I added vegetables then I would have added butter steamed broccoli and roasted carrots.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #2
Project Name & Page Link: Autumnal Masks
Brief Description: Making more masks to take into work for staff just in case something happens to our own masks during the day. We’ve been told the stash of paper disposable masks has to be saved for student use.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Stonewall Stormers
Project Name & Page Link: Autumnal Masks
Brief Description: It occurred to me that monochromatic doesn’t necessarily mean black/white/gray, it can just mean one color. So behold: Pink!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Pillow Cover
Brief Description: Something as simple as a pillow cover can quickly beautify a home!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Meta Mask
Brief Description: This mask will certainly help me make it through Coronavirus!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Mother of Monsters Badge
Brief Description: Made for kwality in the Use What You Have Swap, I made this using what I had: scraps!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Masks for Friends
Brief Description: I made some masks recently to be sent off to friends.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Embroidered Sprout
Brief Description: There’s certainly some green in this project! :wink:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch R3: Sweetwater All Stars
Project Name & Page Link: Maker Badges
Brief Description: Made from mask scraps, these adult merit badges are for the makers!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Woven Neckpiece
Brief Description: Made for kwality in the Use What You Have Swap, this woven neck piece definitely mixes up any outfit in your closet.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Omg, the mother of monsters bade is adorable!!! Kwality definitely is!!! That scrappy mask is the BEST!!! I so want to do one!!! I’m just unsure how I would do so.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Apple Cake
Brief Description: My husband has been eating so many apples lately, that I’m buying them by the dozen. Sadly the fujis I picked up last week were mealy; not great for eating out of hand, but perfect for baking with. I found an apple bread recipe that used grated apples. But when I mixed it all up, there was too much batter to fit into the loaf pan the recipe called for, so I baked it in a glass baking dish to make a cake instead. I replaced half the AP flour with while wheat pastry, and used margarine instead of vegetable oil, since that’s what I had on hand. The streusel topping came out too buttery, and not dry enough, so I added in 1/4 cup of oats to it. And I skipped the icing, as the cake was sweet enough. My husband has been going through this cake like it’s his job.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Grey & Orange Dice Masks
Brief Description: Making more masks to help people through Corona. I managed to get 3 out of this print. So. Many. Masks.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - August
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Brief Description: This recipe included both chocolate AND peanuts. Or rather, peanut butter chips. Somehow the good picture I took of the whole batch got deleted from my phone, and by the time I realized it, there was just a blurry pic, and a last minute shot of the last cookie left! LOL
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Sweetwater All Stars
Project Name & Page Link: Graph Paper D&D Mask
Brief Description: This mask used up the last of my graph paper doodles D&D inspired fabric. I had only bought a fat quarter, and used some for a few other little crafts, so I just got one mask out of it. How cute are the sketches? The other side has a treasure trunk shield and sword.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ballycastle Bats
Project Name & Page Link: Dragon Scale Mask
Brief Description: I made two more masks, in this dark dragon scale fabric. Another fat quarter used up!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Stonewall Stormers
Project Name & Page Link: Blue Dice D&D Maks
Brief Description: These masks are both monochromatic in shades of all blue, and also give an overall icy effect. I got two out of this print.
Project Picture:

3 Likes