CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Hm. I am not on discord. Maybe I can use my sons account. I’m not really interested in joining.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Barnton
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: White Batik Doll Dress
Brief Description: I whipped this dress up real quick last night so it would be ready when I visited @katiebread today (socially distanced of course - thank goodness for public parks). The print is really light on hard to see but it has a sort of hibiscus kind of flower.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ballycastle Bats
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Batty Doll Dress
Brief Description: Somehow this seems to fill the dark, Halloween, and bat prompt.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch round 3 - #2 Ballycastle Bats
House: Sllytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Easy Cuban Black Beans
Brief Description: These are dark in colour, and so delicious! I’ve eaten beans before which I liked, but this this dish is really yummy, it’s so going into my recipe box
Project Picture:

Hi everyone! I’ve been super busy crafting lately, but most of it has been for swaps! :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t know if I should post them in here or just wait until my partners receive?? Either way, I’m around and loving seeing all of the things you’re making x

1 Like

I posted my swap items before my partner received them, I just used the spoiler function to blur the pattern link, blur the picture, and put a spoiler alert that my swap partner shouldn’t look.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch: Round 3 Sweetwater Allstars
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Bunny from a square
Brief Description: For ages I have been meaning to try a bunny from a square of knitting. I finally got some crafty mojo back after the whole summer of no-mojo. The yarn was leftover hand-me-down boucle yarn that I used for the nest basket back in January. Boucle and I aren’t really friends, we’re more like friendly neighbors who wave and smile but don’t stop at the fence for a chat. But I had it and I thought it would make for a cute texture.

1 Like

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:
Round 3 of the Summer Quidditch Season is now CLOSED!

Or final match will open later today!

2 Likes

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

After a long game, the Sweetwater All-Stars overcame Barnton Quidditch with a final score of 60 to 15. Meanwhile the Ballycastle Bats trounced the Holyhead Harpies, 60 to 0.

And after a seemingly endless came, the Stonewall Stormers beat the Moutohora Macaws. Sadly, it took so long that the other games were all over, and the referees decided both teams were disqualified from the final match. Better luck next year guys!

So now we’re down to our final match. Who will win this year’s Quidditch World Cup??? Craft something awesome to help your team to victory!

Quidditch Round 4
September 8th - 21st

Below you will find our final quidditch match of the season! You may choose ONE of the two prompts.

Sweetwater All-Stars vs. Ballycastle Bats
Sweetwater All-Stars: The town of Sweetwater’s name is the English translation of the Kiowa language word Mobeetie . For this challenge you must craft something inspired by the art and culture of America’s indigenous peoples, or something that uses water in its creation. For example you could create a dreamcatcher for someone you love, or you could whip up a pot of soup for dinner.

Ballycastle Bats: The town of Ballycastle’s name comes from the Irish Baile an Chaistil , meaning “town of the castle”. For this challenge please craft something inspired by stone or castles, or something which uses air (or a reaction to air) in its creation. For example, you could make a stone pendant, cut a silhouette of a castle on your Cricut, or make something with air dry clay, or paint something.

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:sparkles: :scroll: :european_castle: Headmistress Announcement :european_castle: :scroll: :sparkles:

Our very first HPC Virtual Meetup will be this Saturday, September 12th, at 3:00pm Central Standard Time (1:00pm Pacific, 2:00pm Mountain, 4:00pm Eastern, 9:00pm Ireland, 10:00pm UK, 6:00am Australia ACT). Since it got so many votes, (and I don’t have a paid Zoom account) we will try it via Google Chat/Hangouts this time. (Though I am still thinking of creating a Discord for us for next time.)

If you wish to join us, please send me your gmail address, and I will add you to a group chat there. On the day of the Meetup, I’ll start a video call, and you can choose to join. Bring a project to work on, and a lovely beverage to enjoy while we visit.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Skull Doily
Brief Description: Halloween is coming up, and I’m predicting dark doilies will be all the rage! This one was inspired by CraftsUntold’s creation of the same pattern. Thanks for the inspiration friend!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Bigfoot Pillow
Brief Description: This pillow was created to beautify TheMistressT’s home. Specifically her guest room.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 16
Project Name & Page Link: Savory Andouille Bread Pudding
Brief Description: An obstacle I often have to overcome is the fact that I’m lactose intolerant, and so many recipes are full of milk and cream. I created this awesome bread pudding by replacing the cream with canned coconut milk, and the milk with cashew milk.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I love that Bigfoot Pillow and it’s perfectly fall! The bread pudding sounds like a dream.

1 Like

The world needs more goth Victorian crochet. :yarn::skull:

2 Likes

I have basic crochet skills @CraftsUntold @MistressJennie … do you think I could manage a doily like that?

2 Likes

You certainly can. I would just recommend using a thicker crochet thread of you’ve never used crochet thread before. I used Aunt Lydia’s size 10, so maybe try size 3 thread.

1 Like

Yay! How exciting. I’ll be there!

When I told my kid I might need to use his Discord account, he got all offended and convinced me to just make my own when/if the time comes. :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol… Yeah better make your own.
Does lettuce craft have a discord server?

I don’t even know what discord is :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

You could totally make this doily. It’s just chains, single crochet, and double crochet. As CraftUntold said, if you’ve never worked with such thin thread, you might want to test drive the pattern in a thicker yarn. The thin stuff can be a bit fiddly the first time you try it out. I also used Aunt Lydia’s #10, and a 3.25mm hook. It resulted in a doily about 10-11" across. (25-28cm?)

@Abbeeroad, I was wary of joining discord too. I didn’t want yet another app/thing taking up my day, but it actually hasn’t been that at all. I just see messages from Jim’s mom & sisters pop up occasionally through the day, since that’s what we mainly set it up for; family communication outside of FB. I did join a second server, focused on the game Harry Potter Wizards Unite that I play while I walk each day. That server is crazy busy, and I don’t bother to read all the messages/channels set up there. I just check the announcements section, to see if there’s new info on the game. If I do set up one for the HPC, it will likely be very quiet, and probably just used for our virtual meetups, and maybe occasional off topic chit-chat if people feel like it.

@PrincessP, to paraphrase Wikipedia, Discord is a messaging platform, used mostly by gamers, but also for education and businesses. They use the terms ‘servers’ and ‘channels’ to describe what Facebook or other platforms might call a Group or a Thread. I would set up a ‘server’ for the HPC. That would be our closed group. People can’t just wander in; they must be invited. Within that server there can be multiple ‘channels’, or topic threads. For example, maybe we’d have one to talk about our upcoming virtual meetup. Maybe you, Abbee & I would have a separate channel for Gryffindor Chat. Maybe there could be one for nothing but memes about Snape. Whatever topics the group is interested in.

2 Likes

I am here for the snape memes. :raised_hands::snake:

Discord: Brittany | CraftsUntold#3088

Also I can help with discord if needed. I have made servers for myself and a knitting podcast person previously.

1 Like