CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Google Hangouts. It used to be Chat, but was rebranded at some point to Hangouts. If you have a gmail account, you can find it on the right hand side bar of your Inbox and use it right from the web. You can also download the app, if you wish to use your phone for the Meetup.

Hey Friends! Just as a reminder, if you think you might join the Virtual Meetup, you need to send me your gmail address so I can add you to the chat ahead of time. So far, the only person I’ve heard from is Abbeeroad. On the day, if you don’t have time and can’t join, it’s no problem. You just don’t click ‘Join Call’ when it pops up.

1 Like

Looking forward!

I cant make it and i’m :disappointed:
i have an appropriately socially distant family gathering starting at the same time in my mom’s backyard.

Hopefully next time!

:slightly_frowning_face:

Yes - Next time! :smile:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Clementine Cake
Brief Description: I picked up a bag of clementines about 2 weeks ago, and they weren’t great for eating out of hand. A little soft, and lots of seeds. Since I didn’t want them to go to waste, I made a cake with them! To be honest, I went with this recipe because the citrus & olive oil bundt cake I usually use calls for yogurt, and I was out. Since I had everything called for in this recipe, that’s what I went with. It certainly tastes fine, but it is a bit drier than my other favorite recipe, and it stuck to the pan a bit. As my husband said though “It’ll eat.” Random fun fact: while it’s hard to see in the picture, the icing was bright peachy orange from the tangerine juice.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch-Sweetwater All-stars #4
Project Name & Page Link: Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
Brief Description: This recipe uses liquid in its creation to make a delicious dinner.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Repairing Pearl Jewelry
Brief Description: My cousin sent me her favorite necklace and earrings which were in need of repair. I forgot to get a before pic, but the necklace crimp ends had broken, so they couldn’t hold a clasp or clasp ring. And the earrings had lost one earwire, and the other was squished. So I removed the old crimp ends, reglued the strands of monofilament, added new crimps and a new clasp. Then took apart the earrings, and replaced the frewshwater pearls onto sterling headpins, added bead caps to replace the old faux yellow gold beads that topped them, and added sterling earwires.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Advanced Studies Friday Update!
I’ve made more progress on my Hygee Throw. I’m somewhere around row 62, in a sea of endless lilac purple.

3 Likes

Come hell or high water I am breaking out my AS project today. No, really, guys I mean it this time!

1 Like

Next time for me. I have to finish painting my hallway this Saturday. :neutral_face:

I was determined to join the meetup but was suddenly invited to a dinner party and I won’t be able to make it home in time, I hope it won’t be too long until the next meetup.

I think I can make it to the hangout Saturday. @MistressJennie do you still have my email address or should I send it to you?

1 Like

Looking forward to the virtual meet up. I hope that I’ve got the technology done right so that I don’t miss anything.

I got you boo. :wink:

Erin, be sure to send me your gmail address, so I can add you to the group chat. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just FYI, right now I have @Abbeeroad, @Trillian, @FiberAlchemist, @ErinAquaheart, and myself in that group chat. If you wish to join, you need to send me your gmail address ahead of time so I can add you in. Can’t wait to see you all later today!

Thank you friends for an absolutely LOVELY Meetup! It was so nice to see you all. :smile: :heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart:

I’m soooo jealous!!

I do finally have my act together enough to get some homework posted. All that sugar from the party must be giving me a boost!

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Shoe #1
Brief Description: Inspired by the booming, one might say “trendy,” interest in visible mending I decided to try my first hole repair using a very unskilled embroidery (for lack of a better word). I would like to use these skills on clothes as they wear and thought these “home-only” sneaks were a good test canvas. This is the flower.
Project Picture:
image image

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Shoe #2
Brief Description: Having both a curvy nature and a stinger I thought this bee was a perfect fit for this prompt. My second attempt at visible mending. It’s embarrassingly bad, but I knew it would be seeing as I don’t actually know how to do it yet.
Picture seen above.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Burrow pie
Brief Description: I know beef pies are cottage pies and lamb makes shepherd’s pies but what does one call a shepherds pie made from ground turkey? I’m calling it Burrow Pie (a la cottage pie) and here’s why- it is inspired by the recipe in Dinah Bucholz’ Harry Potter Cookbook but, like Molly Weasely herself, I had to make do with what was in the cupboards. So I swapped out the beef for turkey, added mushrooms, black beans, and some leftover peas while skipping the carrots and celery and topped it off with mashed sweet potatoes as the russets looked untrustworthy when I peeked at them. Oh, and some herb de provence. I am not a big fan of ground turkey, but it had been bought for a recipe that never got made so I had to use it up. My husband loved it though, so that was good. Original recipe found from the author here and I’m sure local libraries would have it but otherwise one could check with their preferred book retailer. I don’t think I can copy it here directly due to copyright rules.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Ribbed knit hat
Brief Description: This hat was knit while sitting on the front porch getting some fresh air and dodging toddler grabs and errant end-of-summer bees. It was a gift for my younger brother and I actually managed to start and finish it in one day! (That might be a new record for me, God bless the inventor of Super Bulky (6) yarn!)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

I had such fun during the virtual meet up! Can’t wait to do it again. :slight_smile:

Hey AntBee. You did exactly right. But being a curious girl, I did a couple minutes of internet sleuthing and found the cookbook’s recipe posted on a random blog. I edited your post above, to add a link to the blog so everyone here will have access, but neither you nor I will have broken any copyright laws. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Ooh genius!
It was 11pm last night and my brain was toast but i really wanted to get some stuff on the board here. I’d like to think i would be so clever otherwise lol

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge Sept (missed book cliub) - Ch 14
House: Slytherin :green_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Pumpkin bread (GF, Dairy free)
Brief Description: Recently a friend’s MIL pased away. Yesterday I made some pumpkin bread loaves, using an old recipe from my middle school Home Ec class. It’s not published in a book or online, so nothing to link to. I had modified it to be GF for me a while ago, but this batch is also dairy free. I used Earth Balance Vegan “buttery” sticks. It’s a very small comfort thing for them.
I dropped it off (still warm) last night to my friends, kept a loaf for myself, and will drop of the third to my mom.
Project Picture:

3 Likes