CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Class or Challenge Title: quidditch 4: Ballycastle Bats
House: slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: birthday crown

Brief Description: Inspired by castles and the royals who live in them this golden chunky yarn crown will adorn my wee one’s head for her second b’day next week. I modified the pattern a bit to use this stash yarn and to make it a bit taller.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

@imera - that terrarium is sooo cool! Edible rocks?!? :exploding_head:

@AntBee - love that crown!!! Yay for TWO!! Let the wild rumpus begin! :smile:

1 Like

Happy birthday to @tiamatfire! :tada: :birthday: :gift:

2 Likes

:birthday::birthday::birthday: yay!

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!
(And can you believe we’re already through Philosopher’s Stone???)

1 Like

Psst… Hey! Hey you! Go vote in the new swap ideas poll! We’ve got 3 different HP swaps proposed. The first two proposed by me.
HP Holiday ( frequently Christmas tree ornaments, but can be other small/mediums or holiday decor)
I Want To Live in the Burrow (Home decor items, inspired by the world of HP or the Weasley’s house/style)
A general HP Swap proposed by @PrincessP

Round 4 Swap Poll Voting 9.10-9.17

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Kahlua Brownies
Brief Description: You must be of age to drink alcohol. But anyone can enjoy these amazing brownies!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
Project Name: Hygge Holiday Throw
Brief Description: I finished my advanced studies project! When I got to the end of the pattern, it called for a single border of mulberry, but I had 1.5 skeins of purple, and 1.75 of mulberry left, so I decided to add to the border in an effort to use up as much of the yarn as possible. I had just enough mulberry for the tassels, but not the ties on the tassels, so I did those with some of the leftover purple for contrast, and love how they look.
Project Picture:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Noro Shawl Good Cardigan
Brief Description: I was given a gift certificate to Webs (online yarn store) by the amazing @pottermouth, and decided to use it for something indulgent. Some awesome yarn from Noro. It’s Noro Nishiki, in color Aurora. I’m going to transfigure it into the the It’s Shawl Good Cardigan.

4 Likes

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Reminder! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

This FINAL round of summer Quidditch ends on Sunday, September 20th! Be sure to get any last minute projects in before then.

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

You guys! I haven’t been able to get in here for over a month and you all have done a FANTASTIC job at everything!! Seriously! All the food items made me just salivate - good job!
I got a new job and it’s had me working 60 hours a week but that’s about to calm down to 40 so I will for sure have more time for crafting. I did do the Vintage Halloween swap which I will post what I made probably this weekend.
I will be checking out the new HP swap polls now!

2 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Crochet Sampler Wall Hanging
House: :heart: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Brief Description: I propose to learn a lot of new crochet stitches and create a wall hanging sampler. I will be following a course on CreativeBug by Twinky Chan.

@Abbeeroad

1 Like

Project dump alert :wink:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy - Something inspired by upcoming trends
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Pumpkin Bread - link to recipe
Brief Description: Although we are coming into Spring, not Autumn, in Australia - I love to jump on board the pumpkin wagon of the Northern Hemisphere at this time of year. For the first time I made this Keto Pumpkin Bread and ohhhhh boy it is delicious. I even made my own pumpkin pie spice blend and it was so good :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy - Something with a “sting” to it
Project Name & Page Link: Keto White Chili Chicken - Recipe can be found here
Brief Description: The sting for this chili came to my mouth :grimacing: Thank goodness it actually turned out milder the next day as leftovers. I’ve since learned from comments on my post that I should look for canned Aneheim chilis, rather than Serrano :stuck_out_tongue: (I don’t think I’ve ever eaten anything spicier!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms - Something to beautify your home
Project Name & Page Link: OWS Round 1 Discussion/Gallery
Brief Description: A bunting for @jillybeans to beautify her Home School room :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies - Something with 3 layers
Project Name & Page Link: OWS Round 1 Discussion/Gallery
Brief Description: I created this bunting for @Kwality570 in the August OWS Round 1 Swap. Now that she has received I will post a pic here :slight_smile:
I’m not exactly sure why, but I always make my bunting with three layers, front fabric, interfacing and backing fabric. I really enjoy making these, so I was happy to see it on someone’s wishlist. I had fun raiding my stash for pretty yellows to match her craft room :yellow_circle: :yellow_heart: :yellow_square:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Flower Themed Flip Book
Brief Description: I made this flip book completely from stash materials which was so much fun! I’m really trying to not ‘save’ so much… and get joy from using it and gifting it.
Project Picture: Here’s just a page…Lots more pictures can be seen if you click on page link

2 Likes

Ok peeps, I have a real life Harry Potter dilemma.

Every since I was younger I chose Gryffindor to be my house, I have all the gear, scarf, patch, you name it.

When Pottermore came out years ago I refused to join because I didn’t want to be sorted into another house (because I had a rather sneaking suspicion that I most certainly would be).

However, as I’ve gotten older I realised that I actually am a Ravenclaw. I think I knew it from early on but was in denial. I wanted to be with the cool kids gang.

I finally did the Wizarding World passport … and it proved to be true. I am in fact a Ravenclaw.

:scream: What am I to do? What would you do?

I totally realise that there are real dramas happening in the world, but if there’s anyone I can talk to about this it’s you all :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I don’t see why you can’t embrace both. There’s plenty of people who feel torn between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, and they coined the term Ravenpuff or something…
You can be a Griffinclaw, or a Ravendor. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve so been there. Always thought I was a Ravenclaw because I love reading and wisdom, the test even put me in Ravenclaw so clearly I was where I was supposed to be, with a lot of Hufflepuff in the mix as well. Or so I thought. I always had a strange feeling about Ranvenclaw, but it was the house that fit me the best so I chose to ignore it. About 1.5 years ago I tried to get to know myself and slowly realised I’m a Slytherin, and not a Ravenclaw.
I realised that the craving for knowledge, exploring and growing as a person is just as much a Slytherin trait, I’m ambitious and resourceful, and a great leader when I take charge. I took the test a second time with answers more like the kind of person I am and not how I want to be, and it put me in Slytherin.

Worrying about a fictional thing like this might sound silly for some people, but for me it was a lot about realising who I was as a person and accepting that person. Just like you wanted to be in one house I didn’t want to be in another because I thought ambitions were “bad” considering the examples we had, and so I never considered that house. But it feels like I’m in the right house now, so I’m a proud Slythering with a lot of Hufflepuff.

Everyone has traits from all the houses, which is why it can be difficult to pick only one house, but it’s fun to do it.

If you really don’t want to switch house then just don’t do it, not before you might feel comfortable about the change. And if you do switch then at least it’s just in time as the term is ending soon and so switching won’t be a problem, as I did it the same time last year :slight_smile:

I would love to hear from others who might have had similar experiences.

3 Likes

Yep - same, but in reverse. I was actually a Ravenclaw for my first few rounds of the HPC. And then I later realized it wasn’t quite the right fit for me, and now I’m a Gryffindor. Lately I’ve been thinking I’m also quite Puffy. :wink:

I think we are ALL combinations of ALL the houses. We contain multitudes that cannot be contained by one defining characteristic.

The thing about the HP houses is that it’s totally YOUR CHOICE where you go. Even the sorting hat takes your choice into consideration. Harry CHOSE Gryffindor, not the other way around (and so do I!).

So, it’s only natural that as we learn more about ourselves, we question our original choices. With age comes wisdom, right? :woman_mage:

2 Likes

Happy ADVANCED STUDIES FRIDAY all!

@MistressJennie and @PrincessP - your new proposals have been added to the project log! That yarn is soo pretty, Jennie, and I can’t wait to see that sampler, P!

@MistressJennie has also earned 100 points for her house for completing her Hygge throw! Awesome work! :tada:

Welcome to Team :snake: LOL

I’m totally a Slytherin, no doubt about it. Ambitious, take charge, seeks knowledge. Judgmental. :laughing:

1 Like

OH, the shame… I’ve been focusing on a comepletely different large project (wedding shawl) that I didn’t think I could suggest as a AS because it was already in progress when I joined… There’s been no progress lately on my approved AS proposals. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like