CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Advanced studies update: I’ve got my 4 skeins of yarn rolled into balls, and have started my cardigan.

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy - Something inspired by upcoming trends
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Pumpkin Bread - link to recipe
Brief Description: Tis the season for PUMPKIN SPICE EVERYTHING. I used the recipe linked by @PrincessP, since I really should be getting back on keto after the past month of cheating. I used pecans instead of pumpkin seeds, because it’s what I had on hand. I might drizzle a tiny bit of ethrytol water icing on this after it cools.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: I love that you made this! xx

1 Like

It’s pretty good!! I just wish I had gone with my gut and put in extra pumpkin puree. It is a tiny bit dry, but whip cream helps. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m enjoying mine with cream cheese :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi everyone! The first HP swap sign ups are open… come and check it out :smiley: :lion: :snake: :eagle: :badger:

3 Likes

FYI: It looks like all 3 HP swaps made it through voting in the swap poll. Since I was offering to do either HP Holiday OR I Want to Live in the Burrow, I’m going to put off the Burrow swap till after the holiday season. I will be opening signups for the HP Holiday Swap around October 1st.

8 Likes

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Final Scores! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

This summer we played 4 rounds of quidditch. We had 14 players participate, who posted a total of 88 projects! Now let’s see how we did by House…

:eagle: Ravenclaw had 2 players, post a total of 3 projects, for an average of 1.5 goals per player.
:badger: Hufflepuff had 6 players, post a total of 32 projects, for an average of 5.33 goals per player.
:snake: Slytherin had 3 players, post a total of 23 projects, for an average of 7.6 goals per player.
:lion: Gryffindor had 3 players, post a total of 30 projects, for an average of 10 goals per player.

:trophy: That means that Gryffindor House has won the Quidditch Cup for this term! :trophy:

Congratulations Gryffindor!
:heart: :lion: :european_castle: :heart: :lion: :european_castle: :heart: :lion: :european_castle: :heart:

3 Likes

What yarn are you using?

Lauren, it’s totally okay to wonder about who you are and what matters to you. I think one of the points Rowling was making by the end of the series, is just how wrong sorting at all, can be. We are all more than one trait or characteristic. We are all more than our Houses. And we are all more than should be judged by House.

I always felt that I studied like a Ravenclaw, and strived as a teacher to teach like a Hufflepuff. But in my heart of hearts, I hope to live up to the ideals of Gryffindor House, in that I try every day to live bravely and fight for those who need justice. We are who we want to be as much as who others think we are.

That being said, as far as practical concerns go in the Craftalong, I do allow folks to change House if they need to, but I do ask that they wait to do it till a new term starts. Trying to give someone points in one House for half the term, then another House for the rest of the term is just asking for trouble in my record keeping. My color coded spreadsheets are good, but there’s just always the chance I’d put the points on the wrong house with the right person.

From a totally selfish perspective, I’d hate to lose you from our House! :wink: But whatever you decide, we’re all supportive.

1 Like

It’s Noro Nishiki in color Aurora. The picture looks like black with bits of purple and pink, but much of the black is actually deep deep dark teal green, and some is true black. It’s fascinating to watch work through the colors as I stitch. It’s mostly cotton, with a little polymide, and kind of a roving texture that is thick and thin in some points. So far I’m loving working with it.

1 Like

Great game everyone! Congrats Gryffindor on the Quidditch Cup! (I just wish I could have gathered up a few posts myself. :joy:)

And can you believe we have almost come to the end of another term?! I’m excited to understand ack my craft supplies and start holiday crafting. Bring on the Halloween and Christmas crafts!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination - jewel tones
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Katniss Messy Bun Hat
Brief Description: A friend commissioned a messy bun/ponytail hat. I used the pattern linked as starting point, and modified as needed to adjust for a different yarn weight. Yarn is L:ion Brand Ferris Wheel (acrylic).
Project Picture:

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful colorway!

1 Like

I agree, very pretty!

And here’s my latest:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stashbuster
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Oona Stuffie
Brief Description: This stuffie is a pattern from the designer at Spin A Yarn Blog written in a pair with the little white puffin that I made up earlier this year. They are characters from an Irish cartoon called Puffin Rock that is my 2 year old’s first official fandom. The colors are slightly off from the pattern/original simply because I chose to work solely from stash. That is also why the eyes are a little funky- the pattern designer used felt sewn together but I didn’t have the right colors in craft felt nor roving to needle felt so I did what I could with what I had. She recognized Oona right away and wouldn’t put it down to eat, climb the slide or use the swing so I’ll take it as a success.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I just realized today’s date!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @MistressJennie !!! :balloon: :balloon: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :balloon: :balloon:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @MistressJennie :clinking_glasses::birthday:

1 Like

I completely missed the cake, but CONGRATULATIONS @MistressJennie !!!

1 Like

Whoo, happy cake day!! :clinking_glasses::cupcake:

1 Like

Project dump time!
Sorry that some pics are sideways, I have tried over and over, but they won’t change :confused:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy - Something linked to planet Venus, Roman Goddess of Love & Beauty,
House: :hearts: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Love Letter - Pattern
Brief Description: I have stitched up a few of these love letters, I just think they are adorable :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA - Something that helps you or others get through Coronavirus.
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Lettuce Craft Patch
Brief Description: I have been SO grateful to be a part of the Lettuce Craft community. I check this site daily (often many times)…the lockdowns in Melbourne seem to be never ending, and it’s really hard sometimes. I love seeing everyone’s great projects, getting inspired and getting lovely feedback on my own projects. This patch is to honor the awesome peeps here xx
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes - Something with 2 main materials or colors
Project Name & Page Link: Red and Yellow Bunting - Swap item for kittykill in OWS
Brief Description: I made this bunting for kittykill in the OWS and hopefully it should arrive really soon to her (hence the blurred out pics) I chatted to her and chose the colours to match her kitchen, and had such a good time raiding my fabric stash for the best prints :smiley: I hope she loves it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress: September (Book Club - Chapter 10; Hallowe’en - Inspired by the things that bind you & a friend together.)
Project Name & Page Link: Quarantine Quilting Bee Patches
Brief Description: I made these patches for each of the 12 members of a quilting bee I started, to help us remember the new friends we have made while sharing a love of quilting. It has been a really fun project with a lot of people learning new skills. We will no doubt end up doing a second round next year.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Stash - Craft something solely from stash materials.
Project Name & Page Link: Countdown to Christmas - Pattern
Brief Description: I created this cute little gingerbread countdown to Christmas hanger soley from stash :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Countdown to Halloween - Pattern
Brief Description: I created this little countdown to Halloween hanger using only materials from my stash :smiley:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Plaid Quilt Top
Brief Description: I made this quilt top entirely from my fabric stash - I actually did it start to finish in one day too…it was quite an achievement!
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Click on pic to see what it is… (it’s for a current swap - so secret squirrel)
Brief Description: To make the pictured item I used materials entirely from my stash, and they matched my partners preferences to a tee - I was so pleased!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride - Something inspired by your own Hogwarts House.
Project Name & Page Link: (again, secret squirrel)
Brief Description: This is for @jillybeans j and was made for OWS Round 1.
Project Picture: I tried to add the pic with the blur…but it was far too obvious what it was :stuck_out_tongue: I have sent a pic in a PM to @MistressJennie and I will update the post when jillybeans has received.

5 Likes