CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Yes, I know, food again :stuck_out_tongue:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: German bee sting cake
Brief Description: The only sting to this cake is the name and a little honey, but I thought it looked like an interesting cake and decided to try it. I’m not a fan of the cake, which is just a sweet bun, but I loved the from scratch vanilla pudding and the topping, which I want to try on a normal cake in the future.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Summer spring rolls
Brief Description: My peanut sauce is thicker than it should be, but it worked perfect either way. I always loved the way summer spring rolls look, the colours barely showing through the transparent rice paper. If I should make it again I will try to make the roll slightly smaller so it would be easier to eat for kids.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Radicchio
Project Name & Page Link: Cheesy baked pasta radicchio
Brief Description: I thought this looked amazing, but my version was far more soupy, and the radicchio lost the awesome colour as I cooked it. It still tasted great, but look at the original recipe to see how it SHOULD have looked like.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle studies
Project Name & Page Link: Ube Roll cake
Brief Description: Lars made this cake in Steven Universe, my son, who loves to recreate dishes from movies and shows really wanted me to make this one. I couldn’t get my hands on ube extract so I used only ube and a little purple food colour. This should be more purple, but it’s the first time I made a roll cake. I liked the taste and would certainly make another roll cake later on.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

So much delicious food!

My scale certainly notices it :stuck_out_tongue:
My plan is to learn to make healthier food now, more keto most likely, or anything low carb. So I’m certainly happy about all the recipes being posted here :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay! A little bit of a project dump ahead; I didn’t think to add projects I had posted separately to the craft-a-long (also, still learning so if this is wrong please correct me!)

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House:Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Florida Mosaic Piece
Brief Description: I am currently working on a series of states based off of the ones that I (or my DH) have lived in. So far I’ve completed GA and FL (all to beautify my home space while we WFH).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Small Batch Apple Butter
Brief Description: One of my favorite fall trends is that it becomes socially acceptable to use apples for anything and everything.

I adapted a recipe from One Dish Kitchen and here are the changes I made:

• 6 medium Pink Lady apples

• 4 tablespoons of white and brown sugar

• Juice of half a lemon

• Generous shake of cinnamon

• Generous shake of ginger

• a pinch of whole cloves (I crushed them in my mortar + pestle)

• one star anise pod

I cooked my apples down on high in my slow cooker for 4 hours, stirring occasionally, then removed the lid and cooked for an additional hour on low. I then removed the anise and used my immersion blender to create that creamy consistency that really screams apple butter.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club
Project Name & Page Link: Kumquat Marmalade
Brief Description: One of my favorite treats is a calamondin marmalade that my Mom used to make when I was younger. Calamondins are definitely a nostalgic treat for me, they evoke summer days by the pool (where my Grandma’s tree was located).

The surprise factor here is that I didn’t realize how similar kumquats could be. I don’t know that I’ve had kumquats before, but I saw a 1/2lb container at the grocery store and knew I wanted to test the waters.

Recipe

1/2 lb of kumquats (seeded, sliced thin)

1/2 lemon juice + zest

6 tbsp sugar

1.5 tbsp pectin

Combine all ingredients and soft boil on medium heat for 20 min. Transfer to container and cool on counter before refrigerating.

Project Picture:

It was a little sweet, so if you want to preserve some of that sour patch consistency that kumquats give, I would add less sugar.

1 Like

I finally have some projects to post! I’ve been painting once a week because I started an art therapy group for cancer patients/survivors. That has lead me to paint more often after group is over. Hurray for that!

Class: Alchemy
Project Name: art therapy painting #1
Project Description: For my first art therapy session I did a little 5x8 painting of a pretty lady and some swirls. It was relieving and very nice to just let myself feel the paint on paper. I think she reminds me of Venus.
Project Picture: image

Class: COMC
Project Name: blue dish scrubbie
Project Description: these dish scrubbier are bright blue like the pixie!
Project Picture:

Class: DADA
Project Name: Mountain climbing with Teddy
Project Description: Nothing gets me through boring times and especially this corona-hex like a little time painting. While we had the virtual meetup I painted two little painting this is one of them.

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Teddy among the hearts
Project Description: nothing is more soothing to me than the feeling of watercolor on paper. Painting feels so good to me. So I painted a little watercolor painting. This one is the other painting I painted while we had the virtual meetup.

4 Likes

Okay, okay, finally finished this guy this evening.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying Class

House: Hufflepuff

Project Name & Page Link:Pumpkin Mini Scene

Brief Description: Normally, my DH and I would spend time visiting Haunted Houses this time of year. With the current state of the world, this little pumpkin is the closest we will get to a spooky encounter!

Project Picture:

5 Likes

I love Teddy’s outfits!!! Those dish scrubboes are definitely evocative of that bright Cornish Pixie blue.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Heliotaxis Wedding Shawl (ravelry link)
Brief Description: This was started a year ago, before I joined LC. It is my wedding shawl, I am getting married in 2 weeks! The yarn is 2 skeins of Miss Babs Dulcinea, platinum color. It also has beads, Toho brand 8/0 size AB translucent. It’s very hard to get a good picture of the whole thing, because it is huge.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Gorgeous, Craftsuntold!

1 Like

Congratulations, hope the wedding is safe and fun :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s just going to be our parents coming over. We got a self uniting marriage certificate, so we don’t need to venture out to a courthouse. We just need 2 witnesses to sign with us.

4 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Sign ups for the Harry Potter Swap end soon, so if you wanted to be a part, please PM your Q.

:blush::blush:

2 Likes

I would love to participate in the swap, but this is just bad timing for me. :confused:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes - Two main materials
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: (Ravelry Link) Manly Kingfisher Vanilla is the New Black socks
Brief Description: These socks were made for my soon to be husband (2 weeks!). The two main materials are West Yorkshire Spinners signature 4 ply sock yarn in the Kingfisher colorway, and some leftover Gynx Hand dyed (no longer in business) Powersock in the Fire Opal colorway. He also “helped”, becuase I made him try it on at various points to ensure they fit correctly. He has a very deep heel/arch area on his foot, so needs extra room there. He crammed them on his fet this morning before I could take a clear picture, so you get the blurry photo I took last night after I wove in the ends, and a photo of them on his feet. :laughing: :socks: :yarn:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Those are some amazing socks! I love the colors.

I also can’t join swaps right now. So sad!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Batik Beach Bag
Brief Description: This was an excuse to start using up a batik jellyroll that I bought to use for scrap quilting, and then couldn’t bear to break up because it was so pretty. I started using a Youtube tutorial, but went my own way when they were going to “waste” the jelly roll material on the inside too! So I switched it up and added a real lining. This bag is BIG - about 18 inches deep, and definitely would be great for packing all the stuff for an outing (whenever we’re allowed to do those again).
Project Picture:

Those socks and shawl are both amazing!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Mike’s Custom scarf (custom chart from my head)
Brief Description: I have decided that I absolutely hate the way that this scarf was turning out as a double-knit, so I reworked it to be in the round colorwork. So it’s moving much faster now, since it’s easier to read the chart and just zoom around in a circle. so this is maybe a bit over 3 hours into the re-work. This friend get NO MORE custom items from me. He had no problem paying what I charged him, but sheesh, both the things he has paid me to make were just such a DRAG.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

It might be a pain, but I love it! That color scheme is gorgeous.

1 Like

I can tell why you didn’t want to use any of your jelly roll for the inside! Those fabrics really pop.

These socks! Swooonworthy!

1 Like