CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Ah! I love that crumb quilt runner!!! :heart_eyes:

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Notes from the Headmistress…

Hey friends! I just did a points tally, and a few things came up in it, so I thought I’d go over them.

#1. Alphabetical order of project posts: We have many new members, and we’re thrilled to have you all! But one thing you might not have heard or seen yet that our older members know about, is that I ask people to try, when they are posting multiple projects at a time, to post them in alphabetical order by subject. This craftalong is vast, and there are so many project prompts. To keep track of House Points I use an enormous color coded spreadsheet. Posting your projects in alphabetical order allows me to move forward along the giant spreadsheet, rather than hop back and forth across dozens of prompts. (In this term we had 94 prompts across my spreadsheet to wade through.) In case you’re not sure what order things go in, I’ve got a list of subjects in alphabetical order in the House Points post above.

I know this probably seems silly and pedantic, but it’s really an enormous help to me while keeping track of this Craftalong.

#2. Adding the prompt into the Subject line: I’m not sure why this has started happening, but several people have been adding what the prompt is, into the subject line of their project header. This is unnecessary. It also makes it harder for me to see at a glance what the subject is when I’m doing point tallying. Just ‘Arithmancy’ or ‘Detention-Reparo’ are fine.

#3. End of Term: The Midsummer Term is ending on Wednesday night, at Midnight, Headmistress Time. (US Central Standard Time) All projects must be posted before then. Anything posted after midnight will not be counted on this term. The new term will start Thursday morning. Please wait till I announce the term is officially open before posting there.

3 Likes

Pretty sure this will be my last update this semester :stuck_out_tongue:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced studies
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Pom pom bonanza!
Brief Description: I’ve made so many pom poms, and depending on how I want it to be in the end I might only have 1/3 of what I need.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Steamed buns from spirited away
Brief Description: Studio Ghibli has so many pretty worlds, and they add so much detail with the food. When my son watched spirited away he asked about steamed buns, which I had to try out of course. The recipe is real simple to follow, and the buns were really good. We filled them with nutella, but will so try ones with meat inside them.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress challenge
Project Name & Page Link: photo/menu holders
Brief Description: For this challenge I went back to the “love” theme of June which I missed. I love a lot of people, but for this round I made something for my boyfriend’s catering business. There was no time to order something online, because we didn’t know if it would come in time, and also because we couldn’t find the ones we wanted. So I decided to make some myself. I’m not entirely happy with how the round form was deformed :stuck_out_tongue: but they worked. I’m going to make them again differently, but at least we were able to use them for the party.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club
Project Name & Page Link: Ear warmer
Brief Description: Inspired by the colour scarlet, but also by Quirrell’s turban, I made ear warmers. It doesn’t look real pretty because the yarn I used is two toned, and the black is thinner than the red part, but it was the first crochet project I finished, so I’m quite proud of it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Jar lamp
Brief Description: This lamp was created outside on a nice day. The stick was sanded and drilled holes in, same with the lids. And then the cords were decorated with simple macrame braids.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Craft swap sketch book
Brief Description: For this class I changed the look of something. I like to keep track of things, and found this plain book I bought a while ago to use for ideas I have for the swaps I participate in. Of course it was too boring for me so I painted the cover. The idea behind it was “ideas are brewing” :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

6 Likes

I love your painting on the sketch book @imera :smiley:

I have a bunch more projects, but I can’t figure out where they fit in to the classes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good luck on the projects XD

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Fresh Pesto
Brief Description: I spent the morning cleaning up my plants and herb garden. Getting rid of dead plants, putting seasonal flowers and a wreath up, sweeping my porch of leaves, etc. While I was at it, I gathered the last of the basil, and turned it into fresh pesto! I’ll use some up on pizza tonight, and freeze the other half for later this month.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Sleeve on Cardigan
Brief Description: This weekend I put in a few hours on my Shawl Good Cardigan. I got a good chunk of a sleeve done. Before and after pics below.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - September
Project Name & Page Link: Green Dragon Egg Dice Bag
Brief Description: Earlier this term I missed posting my project for Book Club Ch 14 - Norbert. So here is what I made… a dragon egg dice bag in shades of green and silver.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Mint Simple Syrup
Brief Description: While I was transfiguring the last of the basil into pesto, I also gathered the last of the mint from my herb garden, and turned it into simple syrup. It both contains something green and is soothing! I’ll be using it in mocktails for the next few weeks.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Project dump time! Time has flown away from me this term (even more so than usual) as I’m working more hours due to others being uncomfortable dealing with the public these days. (Library) Also, I drove across the country and back again with my sis, 2 of my daughters, son-in-law and 2 of his friends (wagon train style.) Daughter #2 (and her hubby) moved to Oregon so she can finish up her doctorate in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Without further ado. . .

Class: Alchemy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Description: Pink is associated with Venus, so here’s a pink SmartDoll-sized shrug!
Project Pic:

Class: Apparition
Project Description: You have to be of age to play the Borderlands games. :slight_smile: My eldest and I are creating a line of Borderlands-inspired soaps, and this is what we came up with for Rhys (his sock in Tales looks like this)
Project Pic:

Class: Arithmancy
Project Description: Anne with an E seems to be bringing Anne of Green Gables back into the spotlight if our new library book acquisitions are any sign. Here’s a very (IMO at least) Anne dress for Kiki. It does have puffed sleeves, but I’m sure Anne would like them to be more extreme, LOL!
Project Pic:

Class: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Description: Zane (of Borderlands 3) is quite the trickster. He loves nothing more than fooling the enemy with his Loki-style hologram (hmm - they do have a lot in common) which is electric blue. This soap is made to represent both sides of Zane (though TBH I was going for more of a Galaxy look for the purple part - something to change for Zane Mk II)
Project Pic:

Class: Defence Against the Dark Arts
Project Description: Soap is a fantastic deflection for the Corona hex! :slight_smile: This was our first take on Maya, but we poured hotter than we should have, so the colours blended more than we wanted them to. Still very fun and smells amazing! (Jasmine and Lilac)
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - Stash
Project Description: Pumpkin sweater! From yarn I had on hand. I know I did some just like this and the green last semester. I got a slightly different button to try for these! (And I’m making multiples to someday list on Etsy.)
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - Stash
Project Description: Dusky brown sweater! From yarn I had on hand.
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - WIP
Project Description: Finally finished this blanket I’ve been working on for far too long! I tend to knit it while I’m on the phone with my mom, but I put it down a lot to go look up stuff for her on the computer, put library books on hold for her, etc… :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Divination
Project Description: Butt Stallion!! She’s translucent, and glittery, and everything the most beautifullest queen should be! (Plus, she smells like marshmallows!)
Project Pic:

Class: Flying
Project Description: I would love to visit Pandora (if well-armed and shielded) Here’s our take on Moxxie. The scent we used is called Poison Apple, and suits her well!
Project Pic:

Class: Headmistress Challenge
Project Description:
Project Pic:

Class: Herbology
Project Description: This one was calming to make, and I’ll always remember my trip out West when I look at it, because I knitted it on the road!
Project Pic:

Class: Hermione’s Book Club - Chap 17
Project Description: I’m always learning new things when sewing on a tiny scale. I tried some surprising (bad and good) things when making this little acorn overdress, and was additionally surprised when I was able to salvage my botched start!
Project Pic:

Class: History of Magic
Project Description: Another on-the-road sweater. This one is infused with the smell of sage (at least in my mind, lol) I really loved how the air smelled in Montana and Wyoming and the Dakotas.
Project Pic:

Class : Muggle Studies
Project Description: Our Lilith soap has 3 elements - yellow and red for the Firehawk, and blue tattoos. We poured this one colder than we were trying to, and it actually came out just as we were hoping!
Project Pic:

Class: Potions
Project Description: Potions always makes me messy, but it’s great to have plenty of soap for washing up! This one is Maya Mk II. Still not what we wanted, but still smells great. We are taking a page from the Lilith soap project and will pour colder next time (even though it’s panic-inducing, LOL!)
Project Pic:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Description: I’m transforming my new boy into who he is going to be (still learning about him!) I made these shorts for a new outfit for him. I love what a soft boi he is turning out to be. :slight_smile: I changed the pattern slightly to accommodate his build (patt was made for more slender, girl dolls.)
Project Pic:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas with Jasmine Rice & Roasted Broccoli.
Brief Description: I’ve been making bold new forays into the world of vegan and vegetarian cooking. These were quite tasty over rice and broccoli, though in future I might roast the chickpeas for a little while to let them crisp up slightly before adding them to the sesame sauce.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Holy cow, that looks amazing! I’ve been in a cooking rut. Gotta try this!! :sparkling_heart:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Autumn Calico Dresses
Brief Description: Fall has arrived early here in Virginia so the only upcoming trends I’m paying attention to are autumn colors and prints.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 17
Project Name & Page Link: Bourbon & Brown Butter Pumpkin Bread
Brief Description: This bread has a secret ingredient… Bourbon! And brown butter. Now my whole house smells AMAZING.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

@MistressJennie That bread looks delicious!

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Water Mosaic Doll Dress
Brief Description: Lots of curvy lines involved in this dress.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #1
Project Name & Page Link: Green Dot Doll Dress
Brief Description: I’ve had this fat quarter for years.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #2
Project Name & Page Link: Pink Polka Dot Doll Dress
Brief Description: Using up the last of this particular doll dress. I think I got four dresses out of it in the end.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #3
Project Name & Page Link: Brown Batik Quilt Binding Doll Dress
Brief Description: Okay, I know it looks a little strange but sometimes you’re just staring at a scrap and the thought pops into your head “I wonder what it would look like if I used my standard pattern on this” and you just have to do it.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #4
Project Name & Page Link: Ghosties Doll Dress
Brief Description: I think this is the end of this fabric in my stash as well. We’re just using up stuff right and left this semester!

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #5
Project Name & Page Link: Orange Bonfire Doll Dress
Brief Description: I only ever pull this fabric scrap out around Halloween.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Batch o’ Dresses
Brief Description: These took a while to complete.

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Fancy Feathers Doll Dress
Brief Description: Jewel Tones galore!

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress’ Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Red Calico Doll Dress
Brief Description: If I’m remembering the prompt correctly we needed something bright scarlet? I think this calico fits the bill.

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Bumblebee Dress
Brief Description: Black and yellow - not really sure what it has to do with badgers in the long run but it definitely makes sense for bees!

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Autumn Floral
Brief Description: It’s a little subtle but I think there are colors for every house here except Ravenclaw (sorry!).

1 Like

:zap::heart::tada::sparkles::yellow_heart::woman_mage: End of Term Feast :mage::green_heart::sparkles::tada::blue_heart::zap:

Welcome to the End of Term Feast! I have checked the school hour glasses, and the points stand thusly…

hourglasses

:blue_heart: **Ravenclaw: 2 students, 245 points, for an average of 122.5 points per student.
:yellow_heart: **Hufflepuff: 9 students, 2300 points, for an average of 255.55 points per student.
:green_heart: **Slytherin: 4 students, 1305 points, for an average of 326.25 points per student.
:heart::trophy::lion: **Gryffindor: 4 students, 1680 points , for an average of 420 points per student. :lion::trophy::heart:

Congratulations to Gryffindor House!

5 Likes

The Midsummer Term is now closed, and the Yule Term is now open!

Congratulations Gryffindor :smiley:

2 Likes

Meanwhile… The HP Holiday Swap Signups are now open!

WOOHOO Gryffindor! :tada:

GO GRIFFIES!!! Well done!! :lion:

Wow congrats to Gryffindor! Such an amazing amount of projects!