CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

:sparkles: :owl: :love_letter: Note from the Headmistress…

I have updated Hermione’s Homework Planner. In doing so I made new pages for everyone who had one previously. If your previous page had any of your own notes on it, I kept the old page and added “OLD-” to the title. I plan to delete the Old pages next week, but wanted to give you all a chance to save any notes you may have had for ongoing projects. Please go through and save any notes you need, to your new page. If your old page was completely blank, it’s simply been replaced with a new one. They are still in alphabetical order, and there are a few blank pages at the end of the alphabet, in case anyone who hasn’t been using it, wishes to do so.

Meanwhile, the first Quidditch event of the summer has been posted!
:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy:Basic Broomcare Challenge:trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:
June 1 - 14, 2020

It’s the start of the summer holidays, and there is sure to be plenty of quidditch in the Weasley’s orchard with Fred, George, Ron and Ginny soon, so now is the perfect time to pull out the Broomstick Servicing Kit Hermione got you for your birthday. Put the jar of Fleetwood’s High-Finish Handle Polish, the silver Tail-Twig Clippers, the brass clip-on compass, and the Handbook of Do-It-Yourself Broomcare to good use. For this challenge create something to help you enjoy the unusual summer season to come. You can crochet a water bottle cozy for socially distant hikes in the woods, turn your patio into the vacation spot you can’t travel to right now, or create a pandemic garden to keep you busy all season.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 9
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Cranberry Mustard
Brief Description: This was a quick and easy project that I flew right through this morning. I made it a few years ago and liked it, so when I found a bag of mustard seeds in the back of my cupboard over the weekend, I knew I needed to make it again. The recipe made a little more than 7 half-cup jars. They jars will go into my stash of homemade Christmas gifts, and the leftovers will be used up this week.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Yay! I am so excited for midsummer term. I am a school teacher and just got out for summer break. Looking forward to lots of crafting after the busy online learning and teaching this last few months.

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: While out gardening and trimming trees I got a lot of little twigs and leaves in my hair. So, I decided to make a scrub cap to wear. http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot.com/2019/07/reversible-scrub-cap-tutorial-with-free.html
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Basic Broomcare
Project Name & Page Link: I was really excited to to see this challenge. I have had fabric to make a bag for my bike for a year. But, it never made it to the top of the to do list. This prompt was just what I needed to get it done. I altered this pattern to create a snap on purse handle that can go off and on the bike easily.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class/Challenge: Detention: Stash 1/5
SPEW: Safe Haven (local shelter)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: All Grown Up Striped Slouch hats
Brief Description: For detention, I used up 1481 yards (~1354 m) of stash yarn making hats for my local shelter. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(pattern)

Class/Challenge: Flying
SPEW: Safe Haven (local shelter)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Painted Desert Scarf
Brief Description: For Flying class, I made a scarf inspired by the Painted Desert.
Project Picture:

(pattern)

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Capezzoli di Venus (Nipples of Venus)
Brief Description: I was inspired by Venus, well, more like her nipples I guess XD And because I want everyone to be included I covered them in white, milk and dark chocolate.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Carrot and ginger soup
Brief Description: I needed a few carrots, but they only come in a huge bag, so I decided that for once I should use them before I forget about them and have to throw them. Trying out new recipes is something that comes naturally to me, and I’m having a lot of fun every time. I mean, it’s not as smooth as I would like it to be but at least it tasted really nice.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Honeybee Necklace & Earrings
Brief Description: My aunt recently contacted me, and asked if I could make her a Honeybee themed necklace and earrings. Apparently in his retirement, my uncle has started keeping bees, and they have been selling the honey at a local Farmer’s Market. She wanted something to wear while selling it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: Jeans Mending
Brief Description: I adore these jeans. They fit so well, and are so comfortable, and after nearly 3 years service they have started to wear small holes in the thighs. Better nip that right in the bud! A stitch in time and all that.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Stash Busting Potholders for Vicky
Brief Description: A few years ago I made a quilt for my friend Vicky, when she got married. The pattern had you make more blocks than were actually needed for the qu
ilt top, and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with the extras. While digging through my stash making masks, I came across them again, and decided to put them to use! I used up the last of my insul-bright scraps and whipped up 3 potholders.
Project Picture:

And here’s the original quilt, the blocks came from:

2 Likes

That carrot soup looks so good!

class/challenge - herbology
house-gryffindor
project - broccoli soup https://topsecretrecipes.com/big-boy-cream-of-broccoli-soup-copycat-recipe.html?category_id=92

I’ve tried a couple different broccoli soup recipies, and my family likes this one the best. It actually only has a half cup of cream, but it’s yummy. It’s hard to see in the picture, but, They also like it with some chunks of broccoli. I puree half the soup, then mix it back in. I found the recipie in a top secrets cookbook, but the link is to their website.

4 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club challenge has been posted.

1 Like

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
**House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name: Royal Summer Shawl by ELK Studio on Ravelry
**Brief Description: if any of you make this yourselves, note that the stars in the pattern are in the incorrect place for many of the rows. I was able to figure it out but it was confusing for a hot second. I love the result and I need to experiment with different ways to wear it. Enjoy the improvised blocking mat as well. :sweat_smile:
**Project Picture:

8 Likes

Well done on completing your Advanced Studies @katiebread!

:tada: Awesome job completing your Advanced Studies, @katiebread! Your project has earned your house 100 points! :tada:

well done!

That’s beautiful! Great job!!

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
**Project Name:**Blanket of Calm
**House:**Gryffindor
Brief Description: I have never crocheted before but now seems a good time to start! There’s lots of explanation in the pattern for beginners like me so I think this should be doable. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blanket-of-calm Timeline-wise… I truly have no idea how long this will take, having never crocheted and not being able to judge how quickly it will proceed. But it will be an adventure!

May I suspend my current Advanced Studies project? After sitting on the needles for a couple years I think it’s safe to say I have well and truly lost momentum on it.

In its place I would like to propose a new project

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Monster Quilt
Brief Description: This is a multi-stage process that involves fabric selection, sewing, cutting, and arranging blocks, plus quilting and binding. It usually takes about three weeks to finish a quilt. Unlike all my other quilts this does not yet have an intended recipient, but I just feel like sewing something big and whimsical.

1 Like

Yes! I will update the log for you (and @RubeusUmbrella) tomorrow!

And - done! Both of your proposals have been added to the Advanced Studies Project log. Happy Crafting!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club: Chapter 9, The Midnight Duel (Something you can fly through)
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: I made the digital file myself
Brief Description: I recently bought a second hand embroidery machine, and I’m so excited! I’ve wanted one for ten years :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve had the best time playing around with the software and designing badges. I love designing things for people, so if there’s anyone who’d like to do a personal swap, please let me know! (I hope that’s ok to write here?)
The great thing about this style of crafting, and why I chose it for this challenge, was that once it’s designed there’s very little ‘hands on’ crafting time, so I can do something else if I wanted. Although at the moment I’m so mesmerized by the machine I just sit and watch it embroider! :laughing:
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Basic Broomcare
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Herb Garden & Flower Extravaganza
Brief Description: I normally plant my herb garden, and fill all the flower planters in late March, but due to pandemic, I didn’t get around to it. So now that things are slowly reopening, I decided to pick up some plants, and get working. The mint, sage, chives and oregano came back from last year. I planted new parsley, dill, basil, and thyme. I also picked up a jalapeno, a bell pepper, and a pineapple ground cherry plant, which is akin to a tomatillo. So far the bell pepper and the pineapple ground cherry are growing a bit, and starting to bloom, while the jalapeno is going nuts. It has doubled in height in about a week. Meanwhile I am trying to regrow green onions from their roots. (The pot on the far right.) They have taken off quite well.
As for the rest of the house, I filled the mailbox planter, the pots on the front porch with some beautiful calla lilies, and my little teacup planter with impatients. Now the house is all cheerful for our summer in quarantine.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

:heartpulse: :transgender_flag: :white_heart: :transgender_flag: :blue_heart: Note from the Headmistress… :blue_heart: :transgender_flag: :white_heart: :transgender_flag: :heartpulse:

My dear Friends, in deference to the diversity of our group, I try to keep our Craftalong relatively free of politics. Many of us see the HPC as a refuge from the world around us, and I try to maintain that to the best of my ability. But once in a while, something in the real world comes up which must be addressed. This is one of those times.

I know many of you will have either seen or heard about the transphobic comments made by JK Rowling. The stance Rowling has taken has angered, frustrated, and hurt many trans people, especially young fans of her books. This is all the more heartbreaking amid the background of violence we are seeing right now in America, by police, against unarmed protestors working to change racist systems and ideologies. It can be difficult to reconcile a love & fandom for for a work of fiction, art or film, when fundamentally disagreeing with its author or creator on an important topic. After all, Rowling told us that Hogwarts would always welcome us back home, and reminded us that that love is the greatest magic in our world.

So where does that leave us?

It leaves us just where we always have been; a place of uncompromising love and inclusivity.

I want all of you here to know, in no uncertain terms, that YOU are welcome here.

You are welcome here if you are cis or trans gender. You are welcome here if you are gay, straight, bi, poly, or asexual. You are welcome here if you are a person of color or if you are white. You are welcome here if you are devoted to a specific religion, if you are open to spirituality, or if you are an atheist or agnostic.

What is not, and will never be welcome here, is racism, bigotry, intolerance, or cruelty.
This is, and always will be, a place of sharing, creativity, and most of all, love.

:heart: :zap: :infinity:

13 Likes