CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Green Tea & Books Bracelet
Brief Description: This bracelet sparkles with Czech glass beads! It was a special request, that I hope the recipient loves.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Soup/Salad
Project Name & Page Link: Corn & Tomato Salad
Brief Description: I love fresh corn in summer. Almost as much as I love fresh tomatoes! My neighbor brought us some cherry tomatoes from her garden, and I turned them into a corn & tomato salad, with green onions and fresh chives and parsley from my herb garden. It was a great side dish with steaks and mashed potatoes for date night.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Quaffle
Project Name & Page Link: Switzerland Charm Bracelet
Brief Description: This bracelet contains lots of RED beads to echo the Swiss flag. Another special request.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Italy Charm Bracelet
Brief Description: Jewelry and charm bracelets are certainly one of my most loyal mediums that I return to time and again. This one was to commemorate a special vacation in Italy.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Ravenclaw Charm Bracelet
Brief Description: And a final special request charm bracelet to finish the post. This one was for a Ravenclaw who really preferred the film colors of blue and grey. In fact it contains two shades of blue!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title:
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Silk, Linen, & Banana Fiber Woven Candle Matts (3 Squished)
Brief Description: I wove 13 of these little candle mats for a friend’s art subscription box. Sadly, my first three came out a bit squished as I hadn’t gotten my tension down yet. So this entry is for those poor squished 3 mats. This photo shows the squished one next to one of my ‘good’ ones as comparison.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title:
Project Name & Page Link: Silk, Linen, & Banana Fiber Woven Candle Matts (10 “Good” ones)
Brief Description: While these little candle mats were not difficult on their own, they were seriously time consuming. Each one took about 3.5 hours start to finish, including weaving in the ends. I had a very short deadline to get them all done and I might have been a bit over ambitious in how big a project I bit off, but I harnessed the ambition of the Slytherin corner of my heart and achieved my lofty goals!
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Amazing @MistressJennie , I love all of the projects you just shared. That salad looks so fresh and delicious, and I love poring over photos of your bracelets and spotting all of the cute and clever charms!

1 Like

Class Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Paper Ladies - part of the Fodder Challenge by Willa Wanders
Brief Description: These ladies were super fun to make. They will hopefully go into future art journal pages as part of a larger project.
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Quidditch - Beater
Project Name & Page Link: Tie-Dye Tees for 4th of July
Brief Description: My kiddos and I tie dyed t-shirts for 4th of July. It was really fun. Each kid picked out their own colors and pattern. Even though these 2 shirts are different, they compliment each other perfectly - just like my kiddos!
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Quidditch - Keeper
Project Name & Page Link: Pat’s Star Block
Brief Description: Made as June’s Block of the Month for the Quiltalong, I had this rainbow fabric in my stash forever, just waiting for the perfect project. I decided to finally use it as the center piece for this block pattern.
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Quidditch - Snitch
Project Name & Page Link: Step It Up Shawl
Brief Description: Made with the Step It Up pattern, this shawl will be a gift for my aunt, though I’d really like to keep it for myself. Those colors. :heart_eyes:
Project Picture:

6 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: “Close To You” Shawl
Brief Description: I have a goal to make 3 shawls for xmas gifts this year. Since my first shawl took me so long, I thought shawl #2, which is a more complicated pattern, would make a perfect advanced studies project. Project specs:

6 Likes

Your shawl is beautiful, @Abbeeroad, I can understand why you want to keep it.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Dark Gray Handspun Wool
Brief Description: This is the first skein of this dark gray wool from my stash of sweater wool. And it also means I’m 1/4 of the way through the pile!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch Preseason Training - Quaffle
**House:**Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: More ‘Bloody Baron’ handspun yarn
Brief Description: Another skein in this shades-of-red colorway (I still have a pound of this roving left!).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch Preseason Training - Beater
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Pen Holder Bookmarks
Brief Description: I made this pair of bookmarks so that I’m not always chasing down a pen when I want to journal or write something down in my planner. I saw it on Pinterest, but just winged it. The fabric is scraps from the quilt I’m (still) working on.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress promptss - july
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Plush shark
Brief Description: A plush shark, the first of three, so this one I will give to my little brother (who is 30+ and loves all of my plushies I make). The other two will go to charity
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron chef Midsummer 4-course - soup/salad
Project Name & Page Link: Dill and cucumbersalad
Brief Description: I have seen this salad on pinterest, and it has been poking on me. So I finally looked up a recepie and made it as a side to some grilled chicken. It was sooo good!
Project Picture:

And the recepie if anyone else wanna make cucumber salad:
2 cucumbers (I used one big about 30 cm)
½ red onion
Dill, fresh or frozen doesnt matter
3 dl (1,2 cups) creme fraishe
3-4 tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Slice cucumbers and onions, add vinegar, add creme fraishe, mix in dill after taste, and finally salt and pepper after taste. Mix all together. Eat with bbq. :smiley:

3 Likes

The shark stuffie is adorable! And that salad is making my mouth water. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Advanced studies Friday:
My bunting fabrics remain in the basket uncut but, good news, my procrastination game is on point with new books from the library to beef up my Pinterest rabbit hole diving. I really need to just effing cut one already. This is getting ridiculous.

1 Like

Haha…if it makes you feel any better…

I took my AS project across the country with me last weekend (work trip to Las Vegas) and didn’t touch it. That’s commitment to procrastination!

2 Likes

ooooh, Classic!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Keeper
Project Name: Halloween Churn Dash Block
Brief Description: The black baroque print, and the orange solid from this block have both been in my stash for years! The white print was a gift from the lovely Abbeeroad, and is a scrap from blocks she made me in the Quilt Block Swap. I had just enough for this block, and I’m rather proud of myself that all the white print is rightside up in all the patches.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class/Challenge: Book Club - Chapter 3
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Chocolate Fudge
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made some chocolate fudge. I doubled this recipe & mixed crushed pretzels into part of it.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Broom
Project Name: Cutlery Wraps
Brief Description: I made some cutlery wraps that I can take on the go. It’s based on this pattern, but I just folded fat quarters in half instead of measuring/cutting 2 different fabrics.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Goal Hoops
Project Name: Rainbow Circle
Brief Description: I used almost a whole ball of crochet thread crocheting this rainbow circle!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Quaffle
Project Name: Logo Patch
Brief Description: This project has been on my to-do list for a while! I had an old work jacket that I didn’t want to wear because of the logo, so I finally hand sewed a patch over it. The patch I had didn’t quite cover the whole thing, but I think it looks ok. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Hey hey hey Hogwartians!

So, I’m pretty sure you will start to notice that my visits here will coincide with my school holidays, and so as I’m now a week into summer you can expect to hear a bit more from me - especially as stuff on the new house is starting to come together!

Before I dive in with my bits, I’ve loved going through and seeing what y’all have been doing the last couple of months.
@Abbeeroad that tentacle magnet is so you, I knew who made it before I even saw your name :laughing:
@Antbee, gorgeous shaping work in the knitted cat.
@PrincessP I love the fabrics you combined for your summer days mini quilt.
@CraftsUntold the lace work on that baby blanket is beautiful, how do you have the patience?! Anything I knit has to be like 70% plain otherwise I run of of stamina!
@tendstowardschaos I love the colours of your bloody baron handspun.
@MistressJennie - the star quilt block is STUNNING; beautiful colours, beautiful design, beautifully made.
@jellybean The cutlery wraps are in such cute fabrics! :green_heart:

Annnnnnd… Here’s a really boring project from me, more interesting stuff tomorrow (when I can get photos in better light)
Challenge: Hermione’s book club chapter 3
Project: craft cupboard organisation
There are 3 layers to the built in wardrobe in my craft room - 2 sides to the cupboard itself, plus some mini-shelves on the side. Ultimately (in the next 5 years or so) I plan on getting a nicer wardrobe, more suited to my purposes, installed, but for now, everything is tidied away and organised enough to work with! I think it says a lot about me that I don’t have a bed yet, and I haven’t unpacked my plates… But the craft room is just about finished.

7 Likes

Class: Arithmancy
House: hufflepuff
Project: stuff on walls - craft room edition
My craft room is up and running! Just one part of the much bigger ‘house’ project, but an important part. I put up a shelf to act as a bedside table if people come to stay, plus new curtain rail (not in the picture). And I created the wall of inspiration, all forms of art, from poetry to toy-making, up on display!

Class: herbology
House: hufflepuff
Project: frame making & upcycling
I upcycled a boring black frame by spray painting it up better fit my colour scheme. I used some left over strips of ply to make a custom sized frame for a personalised card my friend made me when I became a teacher - I wanted to put it up for ages but could never find a frame to fit, so I finally just whizzed this up. The plywood is crummy, so I spray painted that too :grin: and I got a piece of clear perspex plastic cut to size instead of glass (way cheaper)

7 Likes

A new Headmistress Challenge has been posted!

AND… A new Iron Chef Challenge!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting Iron Chef Jennie! I spent nearly the entire day today driving. Ugh.

1 Like

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: Halloween Bento Box Block
Brief Description: This block was inspired by a favorite story; The Nightmare Before Christmas! I think Sally would approve of the scrappy nature, as it all came from stash. The pattern is the Bento Box Block.
Project Picture:

5 Likes