CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

Class: Arithmancy
House: hufflepuff
Project: stuff on walls - craft room edition
My craft room is up and running! Just one part of the much bigger ‘house’ project, but an important part. I put up a shelf to act as a bedside table if people come to stay, plus new curtain rail (not in the picture). And I created the wall of inspiration, all forms of art, from poetry to toy-making, up on display!

Class: herbology
Project: frame making & upcycling
I upcycled a boring black frame by spray painting it up better fit my colour scheme. I used some left over strips of ply to make a custom sized frame for a personalised card my friend made me when I became a teacher - I wanted to put it up for ages but could never find a frame to fit, so I finally just whizzed this up. The plywood is crummy, so I spray painted that too :grin: and I got a piece of clear perspex plastic cut to size instead of glass (way cheaper)

7 Likes

A new Headmistress Challenge has been posted!

AND… A new Iron Chef Challenge!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting Iron Chef Jennie! I spent nearly the entire day today driving. Ugh.

1 Like

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Ravenclaw
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Halloween Bento Box Block
Brief Description: This block was inspired by a favorite story; The Nightmare Before Christmas! I think Sally would approve of the scrappy nature, as it all came from stash. The pattern is the Bento Box Block.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

For any of you who may have missed the LC Class threads, I thought I’d let you all know that I’ll be teaching an online class for LC, in a few weeks. We will be making a rainbow sun catcher and a beaded bracelet with a charm. Kits are available for the low price of $11 (including shipping in the US), + $5 for the class itself, that goes to LC, to help us fund things like Challenge prizes. The kits include the same rainbow suncatcher seen in the link below, while the bracelet kits are completely custom to each person. I have over 1,000 charms to choose from, and tons of high quality beads, so you’re sure to get something you love.

Signups were due to close today, but we’re going to extend them a few more days to let more people join in.

2 Likes

Advanced Studies Friday:

Oh look! A blibbering humdinger!

[exit: Stage Right]

1 Like

Zooms and my house have proven incompatible at that time of day thus far, so I won’t be able to participate. It’s gonna be great so I hope you get a comfortable number of “firsties” to start you off!

1 Like

Love the fabric choices for your nightmare before Christmas block, Jennie!

Challenge: Quidditch - Ravenclaw
House: Hufflepuff
Project: bookshelf assembly & arranging
Not based on ONE favorite book, but on all of them! If anyone is looking for cheap bookshelves, I highly recommend the ikea Kallax range and accompanying online tool, you can play with different unit arrangements… I think I spent longer with that than it took me to actually put these together once they arrived in person!

Class: SOAR
Project: Bedroom furniture assembly, curtain & rail putting-up
Unlike the rest of my house, which I am determined to make an eclectic, bright burrow with something interrsting tucked into every crevice, my bedroom is going to remain very calm, simple and clean-lined; just 3 elements - a bed, a bedside table, and a curtain.
The bed arrived in about a squillion pieces (e.g., each of those little uprights was 3 bits…) but I love it! And I had a lot of fun playing with different way to drape the curtain :grin:

Bonus picture… Obviously I didn’t make the sofa so this isn’t for a class but OH MY GOD ITS BEAUTIFUL

Srsly guys, I feel like I live in some ridiculous lifestyle magazine

10 Likes

V that livingroom looks awesome! I love the bed, too. Such great choices here!

Noodle, your home is coming along so beautifully! I could get lost in the bookshelves. Your new bed is a delight, especially with the scrappy quilt. And yes, the sofa is DIVINE!

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’m really enjoying putting it together - I feel like it takes a while for a house to become a home, things have to bed in a bit, but I’m putting some bones in place and liking what is coming of them so far :grin:

Ok, now… My other summer project is to learn how to cook, or at least get some ability to make some dishes under my belt. So that you know my starting point, it has previously taken me more than 5 attempts to make toast, and I am infamous in my family for, one father’s day a couple of years ago, offering my dad egg with soilders for breakfast in bed and then going on to prove that I literally could not boil an egg successfully. So… You can guess that my baby steps will not be as amazing as some of the delights y’all whip up. But I’ve signed myself up for one of those meal box thingies as motivation and to simplify the planning stages for myself, and I am determined to build some good habits for making myself proper food regularly. Thus…

Challenge: Quidditch - Goals
House: Ravenclaw
Project: my first meal: pasta with creamy sauce and courgette salad
Definitely the first step towards my summer goal! I’ve never made my own sauce before (In fact putting jar-sauce onto pasta is probably one of the more complex things I’ve cooked before) but this came out ok and I was surprised that it didn’t need loads of fancy ingredients to make it.

Recipe:

7 Likes

Meal subscription kits are an excellent way to learn to cook/expand your techniques. I got kits from Blue Apron for a long time, and it introduced me to lots of spices and flavors I hadn’t encountered before. Now my kitchen is never without ras el hanout and togarashi.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch Pre-Season Training - Hufflepuff
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Fibi the Fox Amigurumi
Brief Description: Eventually, everyone in my family gets a crocheted present from me. I made this cute, little fox for my adorable grandnephew’s first birthday.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Defense Against the Dark Arts
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: ADHD Crystal Necklace
Brief Description: When my oldest son was little, amber teething necklaces were popular, and it did seem to help. So, when I saw that amber and lapis lazuli might help with ADHD symptoms, I figured it was worth a shot. I made this necklace for DS2, who is a wonderfully wild child (making one for myself soon :joy:). It’s lapis lazuli, Baltic amber, and clear quartz, strung on nylon cord.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Lookin’ good there, Slythee!

I have a few little things done but need to put together the write-ups.

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Update! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Fans, it’s time for a quick Quidditch update! So far we’ve had 8 players among our four House teams. The scores stand thusly:

Hufflepuff: 2 players, with 45 points, for an average of 22.5 points per player.
Slytherin: 3 players, with 75 points, for an average of 25 points per player.
Ravenclaw: 1 player, with 75 points, for an average of 75 points per player.
Gryffindor: 2 players, with 190 points, for an average of 95 points per player.

But not to worry, there’s still 4 weeks left in this season, and the House Cup is still up for grabs by any of our Houses!

5 Likes

I love the fox! I saw a bok of knitted doll patterns in a similar style (wearing hoodie costumes - is there a name for that? Seems to be quite the thing at the minute) in a charity shop recently and yours makes me regret not buying it!

1 Like

Kigurumi! My kids have several from past Halloweens. It’s been known to snow on Halloween here, so they are perfect for bundling up (lots of layers underneath a costume instead of on top of it).

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Main Course!
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Tofu Moroccan Stew
Brief Description: The lovely Abbeeroad has inspired me to try more vegetarian recipes. This was one of those things where I was trying to figure out how to use the Moroccan spiced tofu I had from Imperfect Foods (it’s also carried in store at Target!!!), and when I did some looking online, I had everything else the recipe called for. I have made many Moroccan stew with chicken in the past, but this was the first vegan one, and it was lovely. Easily fed my husband & I dinner for 2 nights.
Project Picture:

6 Likes