CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

Love the fabric choices for your nightmare before Christmas block, Jennie!

Challenge: Quidditch - Ravenclaw
House: Hufflepuff
Project: bookshelf assembly & arranging
Not based on ONE favorite book, but on all of them! If anyone is looking for cheap bookshelves, I highly recommend the ikea Kallax range and accompanying online tool, you can play with different unit arrangements… I think I spent longer with that than it took me to actually put these together once they arrived in person!

Class: SOAR
House: hufflepuff
Project: Bedroom furniture assembly, curtain & rail putting-up
Unlike the rest of my house, which I am determined to make an eclectic, bright burrow with something interrsting tucked into every crevice, my bedroom is going to remain very calm, simple and clean-lined; just 3 elements - a bed, a bedside table, and a curtain.
The bed arrived in about a squillion pieces (e.g., each of those little uprights was 3 bits…) but I love it! And I had a lot of fun playing with different way to drape the curtain :grin:

Bonus picture… Obviously I didn’t make the sofa so this isn’t for a class but OH MY GOD ITS BEAUTIFUL

Srsly guys, I feel like I live in some ridiculous lifestyle magazine

10 Likes

V that livingroom looks awesome! I love the bed, too. Such great choices here!

Noodle, your home is coming along so beautifully! I could get lost in the bookshelves. Your new bed is a delight, especially with the scrappy quilt. And yes, the sofa is DIVINE!

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’m really enjoying putting it together - I feel like it takes a while for a house to become a home, things have to bed in a bit, but I’m putting some bones in place and liking what is coming of them so far :grin:

Ok, now… My other summer project is to learn how to cook, or at least get some ability to make some dishes under my belt. So that you know my starting point, it has previously taken me more than 5 attempts to make toast, and I am infamous in my family for, one father’s day a couple of years ago, offering my dad egg with soilders for breakfast in bed and then going on to prove that I literally could not boil an egg successfully. So… You can guess that my baby steps will not be as amazing as some of the delights y’all whip up. But I’ve signed myself up for one of those meal box thingies as motivation and to simplify the planning stages for myself, and I am determined to build some good habits for making myself proper food regularly. Thus…

Challenge: Quidditch - Goals
House: Ravenclaw
Project: my first meal: pasta with creamy sauce and courgette salad
Definitely the first step towards my summer goal! I’ve never made my own sauce before (In fact putting jar-sauce onto pasta is probably one of the more complex things I’ve cooked before) but this came out ok and I was surprised that it didn’t need loads of fancy ingredients to make it.

Recipe:

7 Likes

Meal subscription kits are an excellent way to learn to cook/expand your techniques. I got kits from Blue Apron for a long time, and it introduced me to lots of spices and flavors I hadn’t encountered before. Now my kitchen is never without ras el hanout and togarashi.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch Pre-Season Training - Hufflepuff
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Fibi the Fox Amigurumi
Brief Description: Eventually, everyone in my family gets a crocheted present from me. I made this cute, little fox for my adorable grandnephew’s first birthday.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Defense Against the Dark Arts
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: ADHD Crystal Necklace
Brief Description: When my oldest son was little, amber teething necklaces were popular, and it did seem to help. So, when I saw that amber and lapis lazuli might help with ADHD symptoms, I figured it was worth a shot. I made this necklace for DS2, who is a wonderfully wild child (making one for myself soon :joy:). It’s lapis lazuli, Baltic amber, and clear quartz, strung on nylon cord.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Lookin’ good there, Slythee!

I have a few little things done but need to put together the write-ups.

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Update! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Fans, it’s time for a quick Quidditch update! So far we’ve had 8 players among our four House teams. The scores stand thusly:

Hufflepuff: 2 players, with 45 points, for an average of 22.5 points per player.
Slytherin: 3 players, with 75 points, for an average of 25 points per player.
Ravenclaw: 1 player, with 75 points, for an average of 75 points per player.
Gryffindor: 2 players, with 190 points, for an average of 95 points per player.

But not to worry, there’s still 4 weeks left in this season, and the House Cup is still up for grabs by any of our Houses!

5 Likes

I love the fox! I saw a bok of knitted doll patterns in a similar style (wearing hoodie costumes - is there a name for that? Seems to be quite the thing at the minute) in a charity shop recently and yours makes me regret not buying it!

1 Like

Kigurumi! My kids have several from past Halloweens. It’s been known to snow on Halloween here, so they are perfect for bundling up (lots of layers underneath a costume instead of on top of it).

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Main Course!
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Tofu Moroccan Stew
Brief Description: The lovely Abbeeroad has inspired me to try more vegetarian recipes. This was one of those things where I was trying to figure out how to use the Moroccan spiced tofu I had from Imperfect Foods (it’s also carried in store at Target!!!), and when I did some looking online, I had everything else the recipe called for. I have made many Moroccan stew with chicken in the past, but this was the first vegan one, and it was lovely. Easily fed my husband & I dinner for 2 nights.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Gryffindor
Project Name: Beaded Bracelet & Suncatcher
Brief Description: I tried something new & made these during the first LC class! I need more practice using crimp beads & covers, but they turned out ok! :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Snitch
SPEW: CC Animal Shelter
Project Name: Snuggle Sacks
Brief Description: I made these snuggle sacks (tutorial pdf found on this site) to donate to my local animal shelter.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class/Challenge: DADA
Project Name: Pamela bear
Brief Description: Made a bear and named her Pamela after my mentor quit her job. She was touched when I told her. And it makes me happy, remembering how good she was at her job.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Ziva zebra
Brief Description: I choose to work in a medium that Im comfortable with; crochet. This zebra was part of an ami-along, and Im so happy with her long legs!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Reparo challenge
Project Name: New zipper
Brief Description: My friend had a handbag she didnt use since the zipper was broken. So she asked if I could help her change it, and I said yes. My first ever zipper-change! And it went better than I thought it would!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Summer quidditch - seeker
Project Name: The perfect bread?
Brief Description: Well, Im looking for a good bread that is yummy even if its not fresh from the oven. This was pretty good, but the search will continue.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Summer quidditch - Snitch
Project Name: Flamingo hoopla
Brief Description: I participated in the hoopla-swap here in LC, and made an embroideried hoopla for my partner. I had so much fun with this, and think I need to make some hoops for myself!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

@jellybean you’re beaded bits came out beautifully!

@skrutt I don’t think I’ve seen chain stitch used as a fill before, it looks great

A couple of bits from me;

Challenge: Detention - advanced studies
Project: collar ribbing
I hate doing ribbing. Ugh. I really should learn to throw (I pick)* to make it less tedious, but in the mean time, I forced myself to do the collar ribbing on my cardi by not taking any thing else to do on a long train journey recently
Before:

After:

Greyscaled so I can do a big reveal once done - only the button bands (more rib :cry:) to go

*the political history of why brits mostly pick does make me laugh tho - basically it boils down to, we learn to knit from our grannies, and they pick because the Germans throw! Classic English nationalistic bullsnottery :rofl:

Class: HoM
Project: mug rug
Made for my first swap here on Lettuce Craft!

6 Likes

I have seen it on instagram, a Swedish woman have done it with cactuses, and it looks just amazing! So I had to try. And I like it (just need to practice my chain-stitch a little). And the feel! I can sit and just touch it, and it is really nice too.

Looking forward to see your project in color.
And a great mug rug!

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Project of Doom Quilt sections
Brief Description: I’ve decided to do the project of doom Harry Potter book case quilt, many have said it can take a year or longer to complete so I am going to make different stages be my advanced studies.

#1 - print all patterns, trace patterns onto special paper, package each block into ziploc bags so I can grab and go when I have time to work on it.

4 Likes

Your AS Proposal has been added to the project log! Good luck!

Wow, this summer ended up pretty busy and I ended up not going online much. However, I have been busy crafting.

Class/Challenge: Alchemy
Project Name: Needlebook
Brief Description: I created this needlebook for a swap, to hold small pieces of metal-needles. Needles can also be used in the creation of items for commerce, which would be approved by Mercury, the god of commerce.

Class/Challenge: DADA
Project Name: Motivation Bulletin Board
Brief Description: I am a school teacher and the last year and a half has been rough. This year I am really focussing on creating a positive “can do it” environment to throw off the gloom of everyone falling behind because of the pandemic. I don’t usually place classroom items on my crafting lists but this board ended up taking a lot of planning and craft cutting to pull together.

Class/Challenge: History of Magic
Project Name: Swap Mid-Century Modern Bag
Brief Description: In homage to Lettucecraft I had fun being a swap angel for the “Craft my Collectible” swap. I had a lot of fun making this mid-century modern inspired purse.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
Project Name: Mid-century modern jar
Brief Description: To create this pottery jar the clay had to be fired twice in a kiln which gets to be more than 1800 degrees. This heat transforms the soft clay into something more like rock. It was made for the same swap as the bag.
Project Picture: Pictured with the bag in the previous picture.

Class/Challenge: Book Club Ch 5
Project Name: Doll dress Just 4 Us Dolls I Luv Summer Dress Doll Clothes Pattern 18 inch American Girl Dolls | Pixie Faire
Brief Description: I have a huge amount of 18” doll dress patterns that I have not sewn yet. They have been taunting me with the large “to sew” list. I decided to tackle one. I even stepped up my game and wrote a review on the store’s site for it.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

I love your makes as a swap angel, they look so well done