CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Update! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Fans, it’s time for a quick Quidditch update! So far this season we’ve had 9 players among our four House teams. The scores stand thusly:

Hufflepuff: 3 players, with 60 points, for an average of 20 points per player.
Slytherin: 3 players, with 75 points, for an average of 25 points per player.
Gryffindor: 2 players, with 190 points, for an average of 95 points per player.
Ravenclaw: 1 player, with 105 points, for an average of 105 points per player.

This Quidditch season ends on Sunday, September 12th! Be sure to score any last minute points before midnight on the 12th!

1 Like

I’d be well up for a swap, especially a Burrow one! (You KNOW they’re my faves!). I’ll be honest tho, I don’t think I would want to receive anything overtly HPish - I have trouble with some of JK’s political opinions, especially in support of the people in my life who fall into the groups she talks about. So I would join cautiously depending on the exact swap theme.

2 Likes

Have been rather absent over the last couple of months, but have been dropping in on occasion - so many fabulous projects :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch – Preseason Training
House: Hufflepuff

Keeper
Project Name & Page Link: Felt embroidery
Brief Description: I used felt and embroidery thread, both long term stash items, to create this felt embroidered birdhouse. (Pattern can be found on Etsy here - PDF pattern to make Pastel garden garland. Felt garland. | Etsy)
Project Picture:

Chaser
Project Name & Page Link: Flower bouquet
Brief Description: I created a bouquet of paper flowers for a friend’s birthday, these leaves provided some greenery. (All bouquet patterns can be found on the Canon Creative site.)
Project Picture:

Beater
Brief Description: The ‘paper’ bouquet needed a vase, and vases always need some flowers – these are the anemones.
Project Picture:

Seeker
Project Name & Page Link: Carrot cake (Best Carrot Cake Ever Recipe | Allrecipes)
Brief Description: I have been on the search for “that” carrot cake, the go to recipe, and I think this may be the one – it is certainly the best one I have tried so far. (Still on the hunt for a better cream cheese frosting though!)
Project Picture:

Quaffle
Brief Description: More flowers for the paper bouquet – this time red, red roses.
Project Picture:

Bludger
Project Name & Page Link: Bug twinchies
Brief Description: The tiny fussy cutting on these ladybugs and bees made this twinchie set difficult to make. Each bug had multiple parts to give a layered look, but they were so worth every tiny cut.
Project Picture:

Snitch
Project Name & Page Link: Fresh strawberry Victoria Sandwich
Brief Description: If I had to pick the one cake I would love to receive, it would be this one – light vanilla sponge, fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream.

I never use a written recipe for sponge cakes; first, decide how big you want your sponge (this was a 3 egg mix). Weigh the eggs in their shells and weigh out the same weight in butter, caster sugar and self-raising flour. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, slowly beat in the eggs (bit by bit), adding a little flour if needed. Beat in the flour and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. If needed, add a splash of milk. Divide into sandwich tins and bake at 170C until golden and springs back to the touch. When cool, layer with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Dust with icing sugar.
Project Picture:

Broom
Project Name & Page Link: Blackberry cordial (Blackberry cordial | Sainsbury`s Magazine)
Brief Description: This blackberry cordial can be used as a drink, either with still or sparkling water, or could be poured over ice cream for a summery dessert.
Project Picture:

Beater Bats
Project Name & Page Link: Pea and blue cheese risotto
Brief Description: Making a risotto means a lot of stirring with a wooden spoon.

Have some warm stock (of choice, I used chicken) ready to go. Finely chop an onion and gently fry in a little oil and butter – I also added some dried sage at this time. Once soft, add a couple of handfuls of risotto rice and stir into the onions until well coated with the buttery mix. Start adding the warm stock a ladleful at a time and keep stirring until the stock has been fully absorbed. Keep adding stock a bit at a time and keep stirring. Occasionally try the rice until it just had a tiny crunch left in the middle. Then add your flavours – I used blue cheese and frozen peas, with a small handful of parmesan cheese – you don’t want anything that needs lots of cooking! You want there to be a little “ooze” left, you don’t want it to be dry. Serve immediately.
Project Picture:

Goal Hoops
Project Name & Page Link: Flight ATCoins
Brief Description: These ATCoins had the theme “flight” so I used some butterfly images.
Project Picture:

Gryffindor Project Name & Page Link: Boozy raspberry oat slices (You need to try these gintastic boozy raspberry crumble bars! — Craft Gin Club | The UK's No.1 gin club)
Brief Description: This was a completely new recipe to me and required some planning, as the fruit needs to soak in the gin. I used strawberries though, as I had them to hand – they were a little sweet for me, so if I used strawberries again I would reduce the sugar a little. I think if you used raspberries the level of sugar would be good.
Project Picture:

Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate cake (cake - Chocolate Cake - Preppy Kitchen - but frosting is whipped chocolate ganache)
Brief Description: This chocolate cake is a recipe I go back to time and again, it stays so good, even after a few days.
Project Picture:

Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: Flower fairy ATCoins
Brief Description: I loved the flower fairy books as a child and I still love the images today. When the theme of these ATCoins was fairies, I knew what images I wanted to use.
Project Picture:

Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Beaded dragonfly
Brief Description: Not only was this a new technique to me (I have used beads in many projects, but not built up in this way) but it was also a huge learning curve. I first made this dragonfly with fishing thread (picture one) which I loved as it almost disappeared, but it couldn’t be lifted – it just flopped :roll_eyes: So I took it apart and used beading wire, which was so much harder to work with, but gave such an improved end result. (picture two)
Project Picture:
Part one - a very floppy dragonfly, that looked lovely when laid out flat -

Part two - I was so much happier with this version, and it is beautifully balanced -

5 Likes

Gorgeous birdhouse!

1 Like

Those paper flowers are gorgeous! What do you coat them with?

Class/Challenge: House Pride
Project Name: Summer Gauze shirt pattern: Simplicity 8949
Brief Description: This summer gauze shirt is a very Hufflepuff yellow.

Class/Challenge: Detention Advanced Studies
Project Name:Working on Clyde Pants
I started with an odd choice of fabric for my first try at the Clyde pants-knowing they probably would not fit great. This swimtrunk fabric had been lying around for years. I created a pattern based on a few different pairs of my pants and then did a lot of altering. The Clyde pants I am basing mine on has very wide side pockets-both something I like and dislike. I love large pockets but not how the Clyde ones sit so far out from the body. I ended up making my version to close to the body-the pockets are large but too tight against my to get my hands in-oops. But, I am on the right path.

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - Chaser
Project Name: Scrunchies
Brief Description: 3 Scrunchies

5 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Collared Button up Gauze Blouse
Brief Description: I have always avoided shirts and dresses that have collars. I once tried to make one MANY years ago, and it was a disaster. With the plethora of youtube videos how-to’s I have decided to tackle my fear of collars and learn how to sew them. I also have not had great luck with buttonholes and need to learn how to properly use my machine to master the art of the buttonhole maker. I expect this project to take at least 10-12 hours from start to finish. If I have extra time I will try out my new skills on a doll size shirt or dress.

1 Like

They are brushed with two coats of gloss mod podge.

You could leave them without any coating, but if they get damp, I find the ink can smudge and it makes them easier to dust :smiley:

Your proposal has been added to the project log. Your blouse might go great with your Clyde pants! :thinking:

Class/Challenge: Detention: WIP
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Scrappy Trip Around The World Throw
Brief Description: This WIP was started in 2017! It’s made out of leftovers from other projects, so I’ve been adding to it over the years as I finish things & it’s finally done!
Project Picture:

WIP last year:

Working on the border in July:

Weaving in all the ends a few days later:

(there were so many. I put them all off until the end, so it took hours.)

6 Likes

WOW! Gorgeous!

1 Like

Congratulations on finishing an amazing blanket!

1 Like

Class/Challenge: Summer Quidditch - Beater
House: Huflfepuff
Project Name: Xmas socks
Brief Description: A pair of socks, nothing more to say I think. Made for my bestie as an xmas gift.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Summer Quiidditch - Quaffle
House: Huflfepuff
Project Name: Red blood cells
Brief Description: Something that is red. My brother have a blood disease that messes with his red blood cells when he gets sick (a common cold can mess with him). So instead of being floppy, they get round and breaks when trying to sieve through the liver and spleen. So now he will get a 3 cells, in case he gets sick again. (Yes, it’s a joke, and he will get the joke)
Project Picture:

3 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Wall-hanging with melpasöm (melpaseam I guess the translation is)
Brief Description: In Sweden we have a couple of seams that originate from different parts on Sweden. Like how they used to sew the ornamental stuff on pillows, wall-hangings, handkerchiefs and such.
An d I recently found out there is a seam that was commonly used here where I live, in Sundsvall, called “Melpasöm”. Melpa is short for Medelpad I guess, which is my county.
Here you should be able to see some older works with Melpasöm that have been saved and is now in a museum/archive.

I plan on borrow some books about this way of seaming/embroidery and then draw my own pattern for a wall-hanging. And to be honest, Im not sure how long this project will take, but it wont be done in just a couple of days.

1 Like

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

Reminder: The last day to post your quidditch season projects is tomorrow! I’ll take anything posted up until Midnight!

I love those socks, what a lucky friend.

1 Like

Class/Challenge: Quidditch - quaffle
Project Name: Barbie Outfit , self drafted skirt top=simplicity 4702
Brief Description: Wearing a red halter top and Sporty skirt, this gal is ready for the quidditch after party!

1 Like

Class/Challenge: Summer Quiidditch - Keeper
Project Name: Plush frog
Brief Description: I bought a lots of fleece blankets from Ikea several years ago, as I intended to make dog toys out of them. But I havent done that, so better use them for something else. So I made a plush frog for my brothers birthday, and used part of the blanket. He got very happy.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: UV Resin Pendants
Brief Description: The resin used in my pendants is translucent, so you can see the images at the back, as well as the dried flowers, beads, and cup chain inside the resin.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Economy Quilt Blocks
Brief Description: These blocks will become part of a larger scrappy Halloween quilt project.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Apoxie Sculpt Pendants
Brief Description: These pendants remind me of the seeds of a strawberry pressed into the outside flesh of the fruit. Each of the little tiny beads are pressed into the Apoxie Sculpt to create tiny mosaics.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Mug Rug
Brief Description: This cheerful little mug rug will hopefully make cleaning easier for my swap partner. Now she won’t have to wipe up coffee rings from her tables! The pattern was from Etsy, and the fabrics were nearly all stash in as many themes as I could match from my partner’s questionnaire (rainbows, batiks, hexies, etc.)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - September
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins
Brief Description: I was craving fresh warm muffins the other day, so I decided to whip up a batch. I realized I didn’t have any fruit to add, but I did have chocolate chips, so I hunted down a somewhat healthy recipe that uses whole wheat flour, oats, and less fat & sugar than most of the other recipes I saw. I altered mine by replacing 2 T of flour with 2 T cocoa powder to make them double choclate.
Project Picture:
IMG_3714

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Beater
Project Name & Page Link: Lucite Flower Earrings
Brief Description: This pair of earrings match one another perfectly! These were a project I made during Candie Cooper’s class in the Adornment’s Retreat. She pushed me outside my comfort zone with these bright lucite flowers to work with. And while I thought I’d never wear them, I realized about a week later that I had an absolutely perfect outfit to pair them with.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Snitch
Project Name & Page Link: Silver Pressed Flower Pendant
Brief Description: This is a project I’d definitely love to receive. It was also made in Candie’s class, and again pushed me towards mediums I don’t often use. We used torn tissue paper her kits came wrapped in for the background, plus metallic paint, dried flowers, and UV resin under the acrylic dome. Apologies for the double pictures. It’s really hard to get a picture of the center with the dome reflecting the light.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Broom
Project Name & Page Link: Gold Dried Flower Pendant
Brief Description: This pendant helps the wearer take springtime flowers wherever they go. It was also made in Candie’s class, and uses dried pressed flowers, metallic paints, a fun scratching technique, and UV resin under the acrylic dome.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Beater Bats
Project Name & Page Link: Painted Wood Pieces
Brief Description: During Jess Lincoln’s class at the Adornment’s Retreat, we got to test drive Vintaj’s new laser cut wood components, and their new paints with a variety of techniques like faux watercolor, and faux enameling by adding UV resin over the painted wood.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch - Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Chrysanthemum Beads
Brief Description: This was me really going for it with a medium I not only never use, but often dislike. Polyclay. Don’t get me wrong, I think some people do absolutely amazing things with it. And other people create boring lumps that might as well be play dough. Over the years I’ve tried using it a few times, usually for costume crafts. But this class was really wonderful. Clear step by step directions, and simple techniques to make dramatic results.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Your blanket is fabulous, @jellybean!

Awesome socks, @skrutt, I’m sure your friend will love them.

Cute outfit, @plaidpineapple! I admire your tiny stitching skills.

@MistressJennie, you have been busy! So many amazing goodies.

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Sleeveless Summer Cotton Cardigan
Brief Description: This cardigan is my own pattern. The construction was really basic and the only seams are at the shoulders. I used a stretchy and open stitch, cotton yarn in fingering weight…so it will be great for Summer. Finished just in time for Autumn.
Project Picture:

3 Likes