CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

Top work Claws!

@jellybean I love that scrappy blanket! It’s so cheerful

@skrutt the red blood cells for your brother are such a cute idea

@MistressJennie ok, I feel like I hardly ever comment on your stuff. This is because it is all too wonderful, and I can’t choose one thing amongst call the joy to focus on - so, under the pressure of not wanting to become an endless loop of “omg Jennie it’s amaaaaaazing” like a Barbie with a broken voicebox, I freeze. But it is amazing, all of it. (Especially the mug rug, cause rainbows, right!)

News I have (drumroll) finished my cardigan! Just need to sew in the ends and sew in the buttons… And everyone knows that I’ll definitely do that really soon, not leave it all knit but still unwearable in my WIP pile for… oh… a month. No siree. Not me.

I do have some projects ready to hand in, mostly back to school stuff, I just need to get photos taken!

4 Likes

Exciting advanced studies project! I’ve added it to the project log! :slight_smile:

Congrats Ravenclaw!! :tada: :eagle: :blue_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations Ravenclaw!! Everyone did such a great job.

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress… :scroll: :owl: :sparkles:

A few quick things. First off a reminder that this term of the HPC will end on September 30th, at midnight Headmistress Time (Central Standard Time). Please make sure to get any outstanding projects posted before then!

Second, we are looking for a few good witches and wizards to serve in various positions of the HPC for next term. I’m currently in need of professors for:

Apparition
Arithmancy
Flying
History of Magic
Study of Ancient Runes

The only job the professors are responsible for is writing the craft prompt for that subject. After that, you’re free for the rest of the term. I only ask that prompts be broad enough for many different crafters to find many different ways and mediums to fulfill it in. Also, if you volunteer to be a prof, I will add you to our private thread, where you will be able to see the other prompts your fellow profs have already written, so we don’t have two of the same theme, like ‘craft something blue’ for two different subjects. That’s it. Easy peasy.

Meanwhile we are also looking for a Head of House for Hufflepuff, if any available Puffs are up for it. If not, that position can remain empty for the Term.

If you’re interested in joining our staff, please send me a PM!

Project dump on the way (I was always slow at submitting homework!!)

House Ravenclaw

Class: Alchemy
Project: this is an origami bag and I used this fabulous dragon fabric that I have had in my stash for about a million years.
Photo

Class Apparition
Project, I made this necklace with all the sparkles, they are translucent and look like sweeties, but they are fun to wear.
Photo

Class- Charms
Project, storage unit recon. This was a very dark storage unit that was in the house when I bought it, Very 80s and not my style, but so big that it stores so much stuff, so I had to keep it. I had to paint it a couple of times to get the colour right, and then I added the wallpaer to the backs of the shelves and the stencils on the fronts of the doors. And as a final bit of bling, some gold leaf on the bees.
Thread is here Drinks cabinet transformed into storage in my room of requirements - #2 by Magpie
Photo

Class=COMC-
Project- table runner -getting in really early with my crafting for christmas this year, but mostly because I found this great santa in spaceship fabric, I made a padded table runner. this fits the prompt because it is long and serpentine. I made it padded so it can take hot dishes at the table.
Photo

Class DADA
Project- Suncatchers. I missed the class with @MistressJennie but she agreed to do a private zoom with me and talk me through these. I love making them, I made a bunch of these suncatchers in different themes.
Thread is here Sun catchers from Mistress Jennie's class
Photo

Class Divination
Project, Junk Journal my friend loves art journalling and so I made her this junk journal as a gift. It is a few random papers and the cover is made of a cereal box, collaged with some ephemera.
Photo

Class Flying
Project, 12 zippered pouches These were made for my breast cancer support group (we are called the invincibles) I tiedyed the fabric, and screenprinted the logo, then made the pouches.
Photo

Class Herbology
Project Sunday scones We have a semi-regular tradition of sunday afternoon scones here. It is a grey and rainy day and so we needed some comfort and cheer. I used this recipe Scones Recipe | Odlums and made two different types. To the sweet one, I added 1tblsp brown sugar, 1tblsp glace cherries and 3 tblsp of dark chocolatae chips. To the other ones, I added 1 cup grated strong cheddar.
Photo these are all that are left, they were delicious!

SOAR
Project earrings a quick and simple one. But made of three beads each. I love the middle bead, it’s really futuristic.
Photo

5 Likes

And I promise to be more involved next semester. The house move/renovation took all of my energy this semester, but things are much better now.

Also @Abbeeroad can I add an advanced studies project. My current one is a steampunk costume for my friends wedding, but due to Covid the wedding has to be postponed a couple of times. It’s now scheduled for next year.

Can I add a medieval russian costume, which needs to be done for this year.

House: ravenclaw
Project Name: medieval russian outfit
Project. This will comprise of two t-tunics that I will pattern and add braid. They loved their bling. Possibly a third layer-a cote. A fine linen veil. Close fitting cap and a headdress that is embellished with pearls and temple rings.

As always, amazing things coming from your craft room! For the table runner, did you follow any pattern or just whip it up off the cuff (which I assume is the case being skilled in the fabric arts as you are.) I am endeavoring to bust through my hesitations on learning to sew and a runner would be a good place to start (plus I have more of that toad fabric which would be fun with the chair seats.)

I just sewed strips together without any pattern, when it was long enough I cut a piece of fabric to match the back (and I added some padding, but it is really not necessary) I used safety pins to pin the layers together and did a few long rows of stitching to hold it all together, and then bound the edges with a different fabric. (but you could make the underneath fabric about 1=2" larger all around and then pull it up and over to finish the edges.

that toad fabric would make a brilliant runner

1 Like

I’m happy to write prompts for any unclaimed classes :grin: when do you need em by?

@Edel I love the storage unit - it’s v.similar to ok i had pinned but decided i cba to make (in the middle of house painting, building furniture & hauling all possessions a few hundred miles… maybe at some point in the future. Especially if you ever want to visit and help do it for me?)

It’s a date :wink: great to see you again. You can always pop over and help me paint the rest of the furniture!

1 Like

It’s been too long my friend :kissing_closed_eyes:

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Birthday Cake Cardigan
Brief Description:
I was going to get a better picture, but frankly that’s not going to happen before the end of term (it would require unheard of levels of looking like a human being). I’m super happy with the colours, tho I could have used more of the turquoise… at least I have enough left over to make something cute with.
I used a free pattern and that has been a huge lesson in the value of decent pattern designers*. I had to rewrite huge chunks on the fly, and working bottom-up which I’m much less familiar with… hence some of the collar shaping is a bit clunky. But it’s not so bad as to bother me and I’m really pleased with how I managed the shoulder/yoke shaping

*some free patterns are great. This was not one of those ones.

Here I am at the Pankhurst’s house (I’m more of a Fawcett fan, but since this is like 10 mins up the road and they do great work with womens aid I wanted to support. Plus Sylvia was badass, more than makes up for the issues I have with her family!)

5 Likes

Class: alchemy
House: hufflepuff
Project: book corner labels
I hand drew these templates for my class to use to make small area labels for our book corner. I love how they customise them and add their own touches!
Template

Finished labels

Class: charms
House: Hufflepuff
Project; Yarndale notes
I try not to buy more than 1 or 2 projects ahead of what I’m knitting, since usually I change my mind about what I want to do. This takes superhuman willpower, especially when in yarn-topias such as the yarn festival I visited this weekend . Instead, I collect cards, making notes as I walk round so that a few months down the line, when I’m actually ready to knit that project, I can go back to where I got the inspo. I organised the cards into my knitty knotebook and added comments (mostly the cards flip up to show my comments about what i liked, what they sell, and specific products I might want to come back to etc) - ended up with 5 pages like these 2 :relaxed:

6 Likes

Edel- Wow! Your cabinet is superb, what a piece of art!
Noodle- Congrats on finishing your cardigan! It is gorgeous!

@Edel - your Medieval Russian Outfit has replaced your Steampunk Outfit in the AS Project Log! You can repropose your Steampunk dress when your friends’ wedding is back on. :crossed_fingers: Can’t wait to see updates on your new AS in the meantime.

@Noodle - AMAZING! You look so fantastic. I LOVE it! Go you! You’ve just earned 100 points for your house. :tada: :tada:

1 Like

You look fabulous @Noodle I love the cardi and I admire your yarny restraint. The notebook is a really good idea.

Thanks @Abbeeroad

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress…

Since we are so close to a new Term starting, I am going to forego posting a new Book Club prompt today. You’ll get a new one soon enough when the new Term starts on Friday!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash Challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Wish Me Chevrons Hat
Brief Description: I needed a quick project, so I raided my yarn stash looking for something that’s been languishing. The fiber for this yarn was purchased ten years ago, and spun up almost 2 years ago. The pattern called for nearly all of it, so I figured I would get it out of my stash - yay! Nope, still have about 120 yards left. Got a cute hat, though.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Finished Project dump!!

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Sept
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Honey Apple Bars - Grandbaby Cakes
Brief Description: tried a new recipe while I was craving some kind of apple bake. Did not turn out the way the recipe calls for. It ended up being more of a cobbler than a tray bake that could be cut into bars. it was good, but it def did not need the caramel. I would make this again with a few adjustments. more apple filling, no bottom layer of dough.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Jeanne Baby Socks (Ravelry link)
Brief Description: Used leftover yarn from the Beloved Bonnet to make matching baby socks!
Project Picture:
(See resubmission of matching bonnet here)

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Powder and Dust shawl (Ravelry project page link)
Brief Description: a super simple, mostly garter stitch shawl for ME. The grey yarn on the bottom edge is sparkly from the lurex in the yarn (Miss Babs Estrellita yarn base)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Enid Sweater (LC post)
(Ravelry project page here)
Brief Description: a sweater for my niece’s birthday!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Dinning room chairs (Youtube video link, basic idea for seat reupholstry)
Brief Description: re-upholstered some of my dining room chairs. The fabric on the seats of the “extra” chairs (bought second hand) that kind of match my good set was DISGUSTING. Dirty, covered in yucky plastic, BEIGE. Ew.
New foam, new batting, and new thicker upholstry fabric that will hold up to cats and careless family. LOL. I also cleaned all the wood with Orange Glo before re-assembling, because it badly needed it.
Project Picture:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Wow, re-covering the chairs took so long that I managed to repaint my dinning room from pink to grey in between. LOL.

6 Likes