CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

And I promise to be more involved next semester. The house move/renovation took all of my energy this semester, but things are much better now.

Also @Abbeeroad can I add an advanced studies project. My current one is a steampunk costume for my friends wedding, but due to Covid the wedding has to be postponed a couple of times. It’s now scheduled for next year.

Can I add a medieval russian costume, which needs to be done for this year.

House: ravenclaw
Project Name: medieval russian outfit
Project. This will comprise of two t-tunics that I will pattern and add braid. They loved their bling. Possibly a third layer-a cote. A fine linen veil. Close fitting cap and a headdress that is embellished with pearls and temple rings.

As always, amazing things coming from your craft room! For the table runner, did you follow any pattern or just whip it up off the cuff (which I assume is the case being skilled in the fabric arts as you are.) I am endeavoring to bust through my hesitations on learning to sew and a runner would be a good place to start (plus I have more of that toad fabric which would be fun with the chair seats.)

I just sewed strips together without any pattern, when it was long enough I cut a piece of fabric to match the back (and I added some padding, but it is really not necessary) I used safety pins to pin the layers together and did a few long rows of stitching to hold it all together, and then bound the edges with a different fabric. (but you could make the underneath fabric about 1=2" larger all around and then pull it up and over to finish the edges.

that toad fabric would make a brilliant runner

1 Like

I’m happy to write prompts for any unclaimed classes :grin: when do you need em by?

@Edel I love the storage unit - it’s v.similar to ok i had pinned but decided i cba to make (in the middle of house painting, building furniture & hauling all possessions a few hundred miles… maybe at some point in the future. Especially if you ever want to visit and help do it for me?)

It’s a date :wink: great to see you again. You can always pop over and help me paint the rest of the furniture!

1 Like

It’s been too long my friend :kissing_closed_eyes:

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Birthday Cake Cardigan
Brief Description:
I was going to get a better picture, but frankly that’s not going to happen before the end of term (it would require unheard of levels of looking like a human being). I’m super happy with the colours, tho I could have used more of the turquoise… at least I have enough left over to make something cute with.
I used a free pattern and that has been a huge lesson in the value of decent pattern designers*. I had to rewrite huge chunks on the fly, and working bottom-up which I’m much less familiar with… hence some of the collar shaping is a bit clunky. But it’s not so bad as to bother me and I’m really pleased with how I managed the shoulder/yoke shaping

*some free patterns are great. This was not one of those ones.

Here I am at the Pankhurst’s house (I’m more of a Fawcett fan, but since this is like 10 mins up the road and they do great work with womens aid I wanted to support. Plus Sylvia was badass, more than makes up for the issues I have with her family!)

5 Likes

Class: alchemy
House: hufflepuff
Project: book corner labels
I hand drew these templates for my class to use to make small area labels for our book corner. I love how they customise them and add their own touches!
Template

Finished labels

Class: charms
Project; Yarndale notes
I try not to buy more than 1 or 2 projects ahead of what I’m knitting, since usually I change my mind about what I want to do. This takes superhuman willpower, especially when in yarn-topias such as the yarn festival I visited this weekend . Instead, I collect cards, making notes as I walk round so that a few months down the line, when I’m actually ready to knit that project, I can go back to where I got the inspo. I organised the cards into my knitty knotebook and added comments (mostly the cards flip up to show my comments about what i liked, what they sell, and specific products I might want to come back to etc) - ended up with 5 pages like these 2 :relaxed:

6 Likes

Edel- Wow! Your cabinet is superb, what a piece of art!
Noodle- Congrats on finishing your cardigan! It is gorgeous!

@Edel - your Medieval Russian Outfit has replaced your Steampunk Outfit in the AS Project Log! You can repropose your Steampunk dress when your friends’ wedding is back on. :crossed_fingers: Can’t wait to see updates on your new AS in the meantime.

@Noodle - AMAZING! You look so fantastic. I LOVE it! Go you! You’ve just earned 100 points for your house. :tada: :tada:

1 Like

You look fabulous @Noodle I love the cardi and I admire your yarny restraint. The notebook is a really good idea.

Thanks @Abbeeroad

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress…

Since we are so close to a new Term starting, I am going to forego posting a new Book Club prompt today. You’ll get a new one soon enough when the new Term starts on Friday!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash Challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Wish Me Chevrons Hat
Brief Description: I needed a quick project, so I raided my yarn stash looking for something that’s been languishing. The fiber for this yarn was purchased ten years ago, and spun up almost 2 years ago. The pattern called for nearly all of it, so I figured I would get it out of my stash - yay! Nope, still have about 120 yards left. Got a cute hat, though.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Finished Project dump!!

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Sept
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Honey Apple Bars - Grandbaby Cakes
Brief Description: tried a new recipe while I was craving some kind of apple bake. Did not turn out the way the recipe calls for. It ended up being more of a cobbler than a tray bake that could be cut into bars. it was good, but it def did not need the caramel. I would make this again with a few adjustments. more apple filling, no bottom layer of dough.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Jeanne Baby Socks (Ravelry link)
Brief Description: Used leftover yarn from the Beloved Bonnet to make matching baby socks!
Project Picture:
(See resubmission of matching bonnet here)

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Powder and Dust shawl (Ravelry project page link)
Brief Description: a super simple, mostly garter stitch shawl for ME. The grey yarn on the bottom edge is sparkly from the lurex in the yarn (Miss Babs Estrellita yarn base)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Enid Sweater (LC post)
(Ravelry project page here)
Brief Description: a sweater for my niece’s birthday!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Dinning room chairs (Youtube video link, basic idea for seat reupholstry)
Brief Description: re-upholstered some of my dining room chairs. The fabric on the seats of the “extra” chairs (bought second hand) that kind of match my good set was DISGUSTING. Dirty, covered in yucky plastic, BEIGE. Ew.
New foam, new batting, and new thicker upholstry fabric that will hold up to cats and careless family. LOL. I also cleaned all the wood with Orange Glo before re-assembling, because it badly needed it.
Project Picture:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Wow, re-covering the chairs took so long that I managed to repaint my dinning room from pink to grey in between. LOL.

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Wooden Necklace
Brief Description: This piece was created for Abbeeroad in a recent box of goodies I sent her. Sadly it didn’t make it into the box, so she hasn’t received it yet! Hence the blur. Abbie, don’t look at this one!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Block Printed Silk Bowl
Brief Description: Bowls and baskets are excellent to help organize so many objects. From craft supplies, to hair ties, to clementines! This sari silk ribbon bowl was also made for Abbeeroad, and is hopefully organizing something for her right now.
Project Picture:

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
Project Name & Link: Thyme After Thyme Shawl for Abbie
Brief Description: When I saw this yarn (a beautiful upcycled silk from Darn Good Yarn) on clearance last year during their Black Friday Sale, I knew it had to be made into something for our friend Abbeeroad. I picked up 4 skeins of it, for an absolute steal, and it has sat in my stash for several months. I wanted to create something pretty, but not fussy, with some detail work, but not anything that she’d be afraid to wear day to day with little ones around. I settled on the Thyme After Thyme pattern by Lisa Cook. Hopefully it will give Abbee years of comforting wear.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Great colour choice for your Enid sweater @CraftsUntold

@MistressJennie I hope @Abbeeroad knows how lucky she is! (I’m sure she does :grin:)

3 Likes

Class: Transfiguration
Project: blue baby braces
Ok, hands up, this is some terrible knitting. The tension is all over the place - it looks like I kept randomly changing needle-size every few stitches. I knit most of them over the summer, in the coach on my way to an away-stay with my new colleagues - so I guess between the coach bumpiness and me being nervous (I had never met most of them before and I get very anxious in social situations)… awful knitting.
I was gonna reknit them but, well, they were mostly a filler project because my cardi was too big to take with, and they are for my cousin’s baby. I adore my cousin, but she’s not at all observant so I doubt she’ll even notice the sloppyness :grin:

6 Likes

that is Cuuute. Agree, no need to redo. It doesn’t look nearly as wayward as you describe so, if I were a bettin’ woman, I’d say cousin will gush and adore them… as she should.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Natural Handspun Yarn
Brief Description: These three skeins of 3-ply handspun wool will go into my sweater-yarn pile. I have 4 pounds total, but this was the last 13 ounces of my pound of undyed domestic wool.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Reparo Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Sock Yarn, made over
Brief Description: My DS2 wants some hand knit socks, but they have to be rainbow. I had some white superwash Merino in my stash, so we just used food coloring to paint it rainbow. (It’s not technically sock yarn and the dye will fade, but he’s five and the socks will be outgrown before they disintegrate…I hope.) I also had some not-superwash sock yarn in stash that needed some color. That got dyed in coordinating colorways.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Psst… There are two new Lettuce Craft site challenges! The traditional Halloween Costume Challenge, AND a brand new Halloween Home & Yard Decor Challenge!!! Go spread the word around the site!

And remember: if you submit a project in the HPC that you created for an LC site challenge, you get 10 bonus points on that project!

3 Likes