CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

Edel- Wow! Your cabinet is superb, what a piece of art!
Noodle- Congrats on finishing your cardigan! It is gorgeous!

@Edel - your Medieval Russian Outfit has replaced your Steampunk Outfit in the AS Project Log! You can repropose your Steampunk dress when your friends’ wedding is back on. :crossed_fingers: Can’t wait to see updates on your new AS in the meantime.

@Noodle - AMAZING! You look so fantastic. I LOVE it! Go you! You’ve just earned 100 points for your house. :tada: :tada:

1 Like

You look fabulous @Noodle I love the cardi and I admire your yarny restraint. The notebook is a really good idea.

Thanks @Abbeeroad

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress…

Since we are so close to a new Term starting, I am going to forego posting a new Book Club prompt today. You’ll get a new one soon enough when the new Term starts on Friday!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash Challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Wish Me Chevrons Hat
Brief Description: I needed a quick project, so I raided my yarn stash looking for something that’s been languishing. The fiber for this yarn was purchased ten years ago, and spun up almost 2 years ago. The pattern called for nearly all of it, so I figured I would get it out of my stash - yay! Nope, still have about 120 yards left. Got a cute hat, though.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Finished Project dump!!

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Sept
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Honey Apple Bars - Grandbaby Cakes
Brief Description: tried a new recipe while I was craving some kind of apple bake. Did not turn out the way the recipe calls for. It ended up being more of a cobbler than a tray bake that could be cut into bars. it was good, but it def did not need the caramel. I would make this again with a few adjustments. more apple filling, no bottom layer of dough.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Jeanne Baby Socks (Ravelry link)
Brief Description: Used leftover yarn from the Beloved Bonnet to make matching baby socks!
Project Picture:
(See resubmission of matching bonnet here)

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Powder and Dust shawl (Ravelry project page link)
Brief Description: a super simple, mostly garter stitch shawl for ME. The grey yarn on the bottom edge is sparkly from the lurex in the yarn (Miss Babs Estrellita yarn base)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Enid Sweater (LC post)
(Ravelry project page here)
Brief Description: a sweater for my niece’s birthday!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Dinning room chairs (Youtube video link, basic idea for seat reupholstry)
Brief Description: re-upholstered some of my dining room chairs. The fabric on the seats of the “extra” chairs (bought second hand) that kind of match my good set was DISGUSTING. Dirty, covered in yucky plastic, BEIGE. Ew.
New foam, new batting, and new thicker upholstry fabric that will hold up to cats and careless family. LOL. I also cleaned all the wood with Orange Glo before re-assembling, because it badly needed it.
Project Picture:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Wow, re-covering the chairs took so long that I managed to repaint my dinning room from pink to grey in between. LOL.

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Wooden Necklace
Brief Description: This piece was created for Abbeeroad in a recent box of goodies I sent her. Sadly it didn’t make it into the box, so she hasn’t received it yet! Hence the blur. Abbie, don’t look at this one!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Block Printed Silk Bowl
Brief Description: Bowls and baskets are excellent to help organize so many objects. From craft supplies, to hair ties, to clementines! This sari silk ribbon bowl was also made for Abbeeroad, and is hopefully organizing something for her right now.
Project Picture:

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
Project Name & Link: Thyme After Thyme Shawl for Abbie
Brief Description: When I saw this yarn (a beautiful upcycled silk from Darn Good Yarn) on clearance last year during their Black Friday Sale, I knew it had to be made into something for our friend Abbeeroad. I picked up 4 skeins of it, for an absolute steal, and it has sat in my stash for several months. I wanted to create something pretty, but not fussy, with some detail work, but not anything that she’d be afraid to wear day to day with little ones around. I settled on the Thyme After Thyme pattern by Lisa Cook. Hopefully it will give Abbee years of comforting wear.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Great colour choice for your Enid sweater @CraftsUntold

@MistressJennie I hope @Abbeeroad knows how lucky she is! (I’m sure she does :grin:)

3 Likes

Class: Transfiguration
House: Hufflepuff
Project: blue baby braces
Ok, hands up, this is some terrible knitting. The tension is all over the place - it looks like I kept randomly changing needle-size every few stitches. I knit most of them over the summer, in the coach on my way to an away-stay with my new colleagues - so I guess between the coach bumpiness and me being nervous (I had never met most of them before and I get very anxious in social situations)… awful knitting.
I was gonna reknit them but, well, they were mostly a filler project because my cardi was too big to take with, and they are for my cousin’s baby. I adore my cousin, but she’s not at all observant so I doubt she’ll even notice the sloppyness :grin:

6 Likes

that is Cuuute. Agree, no need to redo. It doesn’t look nearly as wayward as you describe so, if I were a bettin’ woman, I’d say cousin will gush and adore them… as she should.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Natural Handspun Yarn
Brief Description: These three skeins of 3-ply handspun wool will go into my sweater-yarn pile. I have 4 pounds total, but this was the last 13 ounces of my pound of undyed domestic wool.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Reparo Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Sock Yarn, made over
Brief Description: My DS2 wants some hand knit socks, but they have to be rainbow. I had some white superwash Merino in my stash, so we just used food coloring to paint it rainbow. (It’s not technically sock yarn and the dye will fade, but he’s five and the socks will be outgrown before they disintegrate…I hope.) I also had some not-superwash sock yarn in stash that needed some color. That got dyed in coordinating colorways.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Psst… There are two new Lettuce Craft site challenges! The traditional Halloween Costume Challenge, AND a brand new Halloween Home & Yard Decor Challenge!!! Go spread the word around the site!

And remember: if you submit a project in the HPC that you created for an LC site challenge, you get 10 bonus points on that project!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Dessert
Project Name & Page Link: Wayyyy Too Many Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Brief Description: I realized yesterday that I had done all 3 of the previous Iron Chef prompts, but I hadn’t done Septembers! I remembered seeing a baked pumpkin donut link back when I got my awesome donut pan. When I checked, I had all the ingredients on hand, so it was meant to be! The only problem? Most of the baked donut recipes I’ve tried make a dozen, plus maybe a few ‘donut holes’. This made a full 2 dozen! But with the pumpkin puree, lower sugar content, and white whole wheat flour, they came out relatively healthy, and just 110 calories each!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Fall Gardening (aka Jennie Gone Wild with Hedge Trimmers)
Brief Description: On Wednesday I decided it was finally time to ditch the dead flowers in our mailbox planter, and get the front of the house ready for autumn. I picked up some pretty mums, and came home to plant. As I was putting some of the mums on the porch, I noticed that some of our hedges had started growing through the railings and outwards into the walkway to the front door. So I thought I’d do just a little trimming… Three hours and 2.5 full leaf bags later I think I might have gone a bit nuts. But now you can actually see our front door and walk up our steps. I forgot to get a before picture, but here’s one halfway through, and one all done. Plus the original project, the planter.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

@CraftsUntold: In your post from 3 days ago (9/27), you included a Tater Tot Bake and Beloved Bonnet, both as Quidditch entries. Summer Quidditch ended on September 12th, and I announced the winning House on the 13th. Since those prompts were no longer running, those two projects have not been counted or awarded points. If you wish to resubmit them under different prompts, you are more than welcome to do so. EITHER completely repost them BELOW this post, or alter your original post AND send me a PM directly. When I go to do the final House Points tally tomorrow, I won’t scroll up to old posts, I’ll just count from this post down.

1 Like

Gaaaah! I totally missed the end of quidditch. Thanks!

Damn pregnancy brain…

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Quick Tater Tot Bake
Brief Description: whipped up a quick casserole that is a new-to-me recipe. A friend’s mom passed away, and friend’s favorite food is tater tots, so I made a meal to drop off to her last week. I used ground turkey meat, and layered it so the tater tots would be on the very top layer to get crispy. Good comfort food, she said she enjoyed it and appreciated the thought.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy (it’s pink)
Project Name & Page Link: Beloved Bonnet (Ravelry link)
Brief Description: Used some stash yarn from a Knit Crate that I just didn’t love for me for a baby bonnet. My coworker is pregnant, and this was gifted to her for the baby. Yarn was held double.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Thanks for reposting! I did not want to miss someone’s projects tomorrow!

1 Like

Your (or should I say MY :wink:) Thyme after Thyme shawl is stunning, MJ! AND you earned 100 points for your house! :tada: :tada:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: A New Curtain for my Kitchen
Brief Description: This term I chose to focus on the pink aspect of the “Strawberry Moon”. My old kitchen curtain wasn’t quite wide enough, so I wanted to make something a bit more voluminous. While looking for Halloween fabric I came across this pink celestial fabric and thought it would be perfect for a new curtain.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Tie Dye Party with my Friends
Brief Description: This summer I was able to get together with my friend and her daughters to have a tie dye party in my back yard! I was great to spend time together and be crafty too! I dyed several graphic tees with white backgrounds but this one is my favorite.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: A Halloween Curtain
Brief Description: This year I decided I wanted to decorate more for Halloween. The kitchen always seems like one of the more difficult places, as you don’t want to clutter up the countertops with nic-nacs and decor. So I decided to make a two teared curtain with more vintage style fabrics that I found at JoAnn. The curtain is four-cornered, and flat & flexible.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge - September
Project Name & Page Link: Pepperoni “Pizza”
Brief Description: This September 20 we celebrated National Pepperoni Pizza Day. In an effort to be a bit healthier I made this “pizza” on roasted cauliflower steaks. They were delicious!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Another Tie Dye Shirt
Brief Description: Sometimes I will really like a graphic shirt, but it only comes in white. Being prone to spills and splatters while cooking (and honestly most other times) I tend not to wear them for fear of staining the shirt. My new solution tie dye! Now I can wear my shirts without worry!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Spooky Cute Halloween Bunting
Brief Description: Last year I bought a Halloween fabric panel (by Sarah Watts for Ruby Star) and didn’t get around to making it. This year I started early and actually got it done. The backing and strings came from my stash. Sewing is my favorite medium of crafting, so this one is for you Lettuce Craft!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Yet Another Tie Dye Shirt
Brief Description: This was a white Critical Role shirt that I chose to die in the main colors of the character’s clothing featured on this shirt. Two of those colors are different shade if vibrant blue. While unrelated to our coursework, I am quite please with how my first attempt at a spiral design came out.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Sari Silk Purse Fobs
Brief Description: These fun little purse fobs are made with sari silk tassels, charms, glass crow beads and leather.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Mystical Wind Drifter Quilt
Brief Description: This beautiful lap quilt can be used by the recipients anywhere. Including a lovely outdoor picnic.
Project Picture:

5 Likes