CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2021

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch preseasom practice
SPEW or LC Contest:
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Meringue mushrooms recipe
Brief Description: my friends son is turning 15 tomorrow and I decided to make him a cake. He did not make it easy on me when I asked what flavour he liked… “as long as it’s not mushroom” was his answer. After giving me that answer three times on different questions I asked I had a plan to mess with him by surprising him with a mushroom cake. I decided to make things easier on myself and make the mushrooms a day earlier.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Wow! They look great :smiley: Cooking meringue always intimidates me. Do you have any tips?

I was also scared of it before but it’s real easy, not much you can do wrong with them, even if you sort of mess up a little it will still dry well.

Make sure the egg whites aren’t super old, beat them real good and bake them for a long time. I try to follow the recipes, adding the sugar after beating the egg whites. Many recipes suggest cream of tartar but i use lemon juice as I don’t have that cream of tartar easily available.

Oh, and if you’re planning to make meringues with star shaped tips or something like that it’s best not to leave the mixture standing for too long, the crisp edges will be soft.

1 Like

The Summer Quidditch Season is NOW OPEN! This term we have 14 Quidditch Challenges. You may do each prompt once. The Season will end on September 12th, meaning you have 12 weeks to work on these. Please note that everyone is welcome to do each of the House themed challenges, regardless of their own House. We are celebrating the best of all our Houses, and House Quidditch teams!

10 Likes

Amazing! Thank you @MistressJennie

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Hogwarts House Crests cross stitch
Project Page Link: Free Harry Potter House Crest Cross Stitch Charts – The World in Stitches
Brief Description: All four Hogwarts House Crests in cross stitch are completed
(Hufflepuff started 1/2, Ravenclaw started 26/2, Slytherin started 27/3, Gryffindor started 16/5)
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Those meringues look amazing, @imera!

Beautiful stitching, @seeuudee!

2 Likes

Im only just checking in because the end of the year is chaos in year 6 (NB literally every term I have some reason why that term is the hardest one…). But there’s some awesome stuff been going on :grin:

@Abbeeroad, I love your Halloween quilt blocks for Jennie, great bold colours

@skrutt love the goats!

@jellybean - I’m trying to find a way to display my pins too, yours look great. Thanks for the inspo

3 Likes

Challenge: Hermione’s book club chapter 1
Project: Guess Ru?

So, a couple of years ago my sister made a Drag Race version of Guess Who for a secret Santa gift for my cousin - I loved the idea and wanted to make one ever since (my sister got the idea from a family themed version I had made before, I kind of love the circular inspiration loop we’re clearly in). I finally found an excuse! I’m really close with one of the TAs at school, and we both love Drag Race, so I’m making her a version of the game as a ‘I’m going away’ present :grin:

I used an old copy of the game from a thrift store, it had no box so I didn’t quite figure out what to do about that yet. But I sprayed the game pieces (gold with random pink crackles) and printed all the pics on card, trimmed everything and assembled… I’m pleased with how it’s come out

7 Likes

Awesome!

Class or Challenge Title: book club
Project Name & Page Link: 3 mini Swedish princess cakes -recipe-
Brief Description: I’ve wanted to try my hands on Swedish princess cakes for a long time, and I finally did.0 need to work on the marzipan cover some more before it looks perfect, but it was the first time trying it so I’m not beating myself over it.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Is Swedish Princess cakes a thing in the rest of the world?! :open_mouth:
I mean, we eat it every now and then, but it is so cool that you have made them too! And they look great! :smiley: I hope they tasted as good as they look! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

They are a thing in Norway at least :grinning: but we’re neighbours so it might be that. And they tasted great :grinning:

1 Like

Advanced Studies completion

Project Name: Harvest Moon Baby Blanket
Brief Description: the amount of materials combined with the size make this a long term project.

Designer website pattern link: Harvest Moon Blanket - Polka Dot Sheep

My ravelry Project Page: Ravelry: CraftsUntold's Harvest Moon Blanket

Is done! I made the crib size. Just need to give it a wash, and the lace will open up more.
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Wow! It’s beautiful! :yellow_heart:

I didn’t forget you @seeuudee. So much cross stitching! The crests are fantastic.

I’ll update Advanced Studies in the morning for both of you!

ETA: And DONE! You have each earned 100 points for your respective house! :tada: :tada:

2 Likes

This has been added to the project log! What a wonderful project!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Midsummer - Appetizers
Project Name & Page Link: Salmon rolls
Brief Description: A classic Swedish appetizer is the creme cheese and smoked salmon roll made with flatbread. I had never tried eating or making this stuff, but for our midsummer bbq I wanted to try my hands on it. Not that hard, and Im really glad I did, thus knowing I can make at least ONE appetizer! :laughing:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress promps - June
Project Name & Page Link: Summer Solstice linoprint
Brief Description: I tried to make a nice sun that I can use to make prints with lino-paint. So I designed, carved and made a couple of try-out prints. The one with yellow is painted with water color.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Small keyring bear
Brief Description: One of my bosses is quitting, and I wanted to make a little something for her, as a goodbye gift, so I crocheted a small bear keyring, which made her really happy.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Appetizer
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Lactose-Free (But Not Dairy Free) Pimento Cheese
Brief Description: The South loves its pimento cheese. Here in TN, in the Nashville area, it’s on all the menus, in all the trendy restaurants, and all the down-home joints too. But it’s a food I’ve never tried, because I’m lactose intolerant. The other day a food podcast I listen to, Savor, covered it as a topic, and I decided to try making my own, safe-for-me version, and I’m so, so glad I did. It was amazing. I’ve included my recipe below. Please note it is not vegan, only lactose free.
Project Picture:

Lactose Free (But NOT Dairy Free) Pimento Cheese
1 8oz block Cabot aged sharp cheddar (Cabot’s cheddars are naturally lactose free)
1 8 oz container vegan cream cheese (I used Miyokos, which is made from cashews and it was great!)
1 4oz jar pimentos
3-4 T mayonaise
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
several dashes of Tabasco sauce (about 1 tsp)
pinch of cayenne
salt & pepper to taste

Let the vegan cream cheese come to room temperature on the counter, while you assemble the rest of the ingredients. It doesn’t have to sit out long, just a few minutes should help it soften. Meanwhile shred the cheddar on the side of a box grater. Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer, and add in the shredded cheddar, pimentos, mayo, spices, Tobasco, and salt & several grinds of fresh black pepper. Mix with the paddle attachment until combined. Place in a container in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors really come together. Serve it on crackers, crusty bread, or on fried green tomatoes. Dip veggies or pretzels in it. Or change your life forever by making a grilled cheese sandwich with it.

5 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

Meanwhile… Please forgive your Headmistress. I’ve been late posting these last few Book Club prompts, and so the dates have drifted off course a bit. To remedy the situation, this prompt lasts nearly 3 weeks, to try to get me back on track with Monday updates.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: DETENTION - Stash 1
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Curling MIst-stress of Evil Socks
Brief Description: Used up some stash yarn to make the Curling mist socks by Helen Stewart.
Yarn is Desert Vista Dyeworks in her Zom-Mistress of Evil colorway, with a solid black mini skein for the cuff.
Ravelry project page: Ravelry: CraftsUntold's Curling Mist-ress of Evil

My crafting hasn’t been very adventurous or complex lately. If it’s not baby knits, it’s socks.

Project Picture:

5 Likes