CLOSED - Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2022

@MistressJennie How lovely that everyone is looking out for each other this way. I bet everyone appreciated the cookies!! I’ve never even heard of Maroo raisins. Now I have to learn more. :slight_smile:

Summer Reading starts today at our library, so I’ve been making a lot of decorations!

Class: Astronomy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: KRAAAAAAAKEN!
Project Description: This kraken looks different from all angles, and the kids love him. It’s so fun to watch them come through the front door and just freeze and point. :grin: I was hoping not to make him too scary, maybe just alarming, lol, so one of my daughters suggested a Domo kun sort of mouth. I like how he turned out! (The ladder isn’t usually there - I just took this pic during installation.)
Project Pic:

Class: Charms
Project Name: Big Jellyfish
Project Description: These jellyfish used the very unexpected element of SHOWER CAPS! Each is made from a plastic bowl with a clear shower cap pulled over it and some strips of deconstructed shower puff and mesh tubing. I’m not sure how well you’ll be able to see it, but the shower cap pulls in on the underside of each bowl, making the bottom surface of the jelly’s body.
Project Pic:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Portholes
Project Description: These definitely needed to be made out-of-doors as there was a lot of spray paint involved. They are made of paper plates with the center cut out and pony beads glued around the edge. After spray painting, I glued plastic inside and an image behind each one. I made 5 total, but in the interest of saving space and time, I’ll just show 2 here.
Project Pic:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Flock of Baby Jellies
Project Description: My boss scored some plastic bowls for free from a grad party and requested more jellies! Here they are with all their dangly tentacles. These are little baby ones.
Project Pic:

5 Likes

Your jellyfish are fabulous!!! My friend is having an undersea party for his daughter. I am going to see if he wants to make these for the party…I am sure Dollar store has bowls and I sure do have a lot of furry yarn and pouffs! Thanks…they are so fun!

2 Likes

Aw! I love that story @MistressJennie! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Moonflame - your kraken is hilariously awesome!!

1 Like

Your library is spectacular! I would love to read there :hugs:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 19
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Jackknife Quilt Block
Brief Description: After seeing the picture of this beautiful quilt block, I knew I had to make one for my upcoming Halloween sampler quilt. I love how it came out!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Mocha Chocolate Chip Oat Lactation Cookies
Brief Description: These cookies contain a few unusual ingredients, including brewer’s yeast. But if you’re looking for darn delicious cookies without needing to make breast milk, just make them without the yeast.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Dishcloths
Brief Description: These cloths have a bunch of different scraps of cotton yarn, all fused together into scrappy little dishcloths.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Lactation Lemonade
Brief Description: A liquid craft! Hopefully this potion will help increase my milk production.
Project Picture:

Lactation Lemonade
6 Mother’s Milk teabags
3 Lemons
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Sprig of Mint

Boil water. Brew the 6 teabags in 4 cups of water. Let steep for 10-20 minutes. Remove teabags and add the honey, stirring well to combine. Slice 3-4 thin slices from one of the lemons. Juice the remaining lemons, and add the juice to the pitcher of tea. Fill the pitcher with cool water, ice, then add in the lemon slices and sprig of mint. Pour half a glass of the lemonade, then top with sparkling water.

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Warm Tone Patchwork Purse
Brief Description: Definitely taking a simple pattern and making it more complicated :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!!

@AIMR The blue bowls came from dollar tree and so did the clear shower caps, pouffs, and mesh tubing! I think I got three pouffs and still have some left over after all the jellies, lol!

@MistressJennie that’s a gorgeous quilt block! I love all things Hallowe’en! And I’m hungry for cookies now, lol! Your tea looks so refreshing! It reminds me that I should make the cucumber/ginger/mint water that’s so nice to have when it’s hot. I hope your milk production soars. :upside_down_face:

@fishstix43 I don’t know why, but it really cracks me up that your mannequin is wearing a bra. :stuck_out_tongue: Your bag is soooo lovely!

1 Like

Class:DADA
Project Name: Ichigo Coupon Pouch
Project Description: I realized that I need to get back to couponing and that the biggest stumbling block for me is not having a good place to keep them. Until now, I’ve been putting them in the shelf of the chalkboard by the door, but I always walk right past them when it’s time to go shopping. I decided that a dedicated pouch would be somewhere to put them as soon as I get them, and then the pouch can go in my bag so I always have them with me. (I bought a new bag, too, lol, but it was <$10, so I don’t feel too guilty.) I made this from fabric lined with felt, then added a snap, and hot glued some lace to the underside of the flap because I didn’t like the unfinished look of the edge from the underside. I’m really happy to have something cute to protect my coupons!
Project Pic:

10 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Puppy Harness
Brief Description: We got a new puppy a couple of weeks, so it is time to make harnesses! He is tiny, under 3 pounds right now. In order to “release” him to the outside, like a house elf, I made this for our walks.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Brief Description: This harness will help protect him while we go on walks.
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Flying
Brief Description: My puppy loves going outside in his new harness.
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Gah! The cuteness!

Class: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Quilted Coaster/Rug
Brief Description: Made with cast off scraps from quilt-along quilt blocks, this coaster/mug rug will protect surfaces from hot, steaming mugs or cold, dripping glasses of liquid.
Project Picture:

Class: Detention: Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Homer Jay Felt Badge
Brief Description: All from stash!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I recognize that map fabric! Hehe…

1 Like

Yess!! I gifted it to my cousin this past weekend. She loved that fabric in particular! :heart:

1 Like

Squeeiii!!!

OMG @plaidpineapple your puppy is ADORBS!! Cute harnesses, too!

@Abbeeroad That coaster is so pretty and I love the binding fabric! And OMG that badge is too much, LOL! Love it!

2 Likes

~COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Autumnal Quilted Table Topper
Project Page Link: basic disappearing 9 square.
Brief Description: this thing took FOREVER. Got stuck for a while on the “how to plan the quilting” part, over thought it. But I finally finished hand stitching the binding today!
I used a basic disappearing 9 square, some clearance fabric bits, and improvised a table runner.
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Doctor Who Scarf - Progress
Brief Description: I have completed about half of the scarf, putting in countless hours. I try to knit at least 20 rows a day as I hope to finish by the end of the month.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Give One beanie in hand-dyed handspun wool
Brief Description: There’ll be no question where my loyalties lie wearing this decidedly very green hat when the weather gets cool. This is also the first hat I have ever knit!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Gemstone Bracelets
Brief Description: I whipped up a few more bracelets to spice up my jewelry box and show some love for Ravenclaw, too.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Around the World Challenge - June
Project Name & Page Link: Sausage Rolls
Brief Description: This Australian/British staple isn’t too commonly seen here in the states (mostly because we usually just do pigs-in-a-blanket). But, it should be! These were so easy to throw together and were a big hit in my house.

ETA: EEP! Forgot the recipe!
1 pkg puff pastry
6-8 oz. breakfast sausage (casings removed, uncooked)
1 egg, beaten

Thaw puff pastry and unroll. Cut each sheet in half. Place sausages in center of pastry. Brush egg onto one edge of the pastry and roll up, using the egg as a glue. Using a fork, smush the seam together. brush egg over the top of the pastry rolls and cut into 1" pieces. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let sit for a few minutes and serve (great with marinara sauce!).

Project Picture:

7 Likes

Your table runner looks amazing! Congrats on getting it done AND earning 100 points for your house! :tada:

2 Likes

In all the excitement of the holiday weekend and the site being back up, I forgot to post the new Iron Chef prompt for July! D’oh! Here it is, better late than never. :slight_smile:

:mexico: Mexico - While a little late for Cinco de Mayo, it’s never a bad time for Mexican, especially chicken tamales, beef birria tacos, or homemade churros!

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay friends! Between the LC outage, and the holiday and a quirk whereby LC wouldn’t let me save edits to my posts for a day, I got a little behind. Here are your new Headmistress & Book Club prompts. And I’m officially granting an extension for June prompts that could not be posted due to the outage. You now have until July 15 to post any missed June specific prompts.

5 Likes