CLOSED - Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2022

Class: DADA
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Quilted Coaster/Rug
Brief Description: Made with cast off scraps from quilt-along quilt blocks, this coaster/mug rug will protect surfaces from hot, steaming mugs or cold, dripping glasses of liquid.
Project Picture:

Class: Detention: Stash
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Homer Jay Felt Badge
Brief Description: All from stash!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I recognize that map fabric! Hehe…

1 Like

Yess!! I gifted it to my cousin this past weekend. She loved that fabric in particular! :heart:

1 Like

Squeeiii!!!

OMG @plaidpineapple your puppy is ADORBS!! Cute harnesses, too!

@Abbeeroad That coaster is so pretty and I love the binding fabric! And OMG that badge is too much, LOL! Love it!

2 Likes

~COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Autumnal Quilted Table Topper
Project Page Link: basic disappearing 9 square.
Brief Description: this thing took FOREVER. Got stuck for a while on the “how to plan the quilting” part, over thought it. But I finally finished hand stitching the binding today!
I used a basic disappearing 9 square, some clearance fabric bits, and improvised a table runner.
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Doctor Who Scarf - Progress
Brief Description: I have completed about half of the scarf, putting in countless hours. I try to knit at least 20 rows a day as I hope to finish by the end of the month.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Give One beanie in hand-dyed handspun wool
Brief Description: There’ll be no question where my loyalties lie wearing this decidedly very green hat when the weather gets cool. This is also the first hat I have ever knit!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Gemstone Bracelets
Brief Description: I whipped up a few more bracelets to spice up my jewelry box and show some love for Ravenclaw, too.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Around the World Challenge - June
Project Name & Page Link: Sausage Rolls
Brief Description: This Australian/British staple isn’t too commonly seen here in the states (mostly because we usually just do pigs-in-a-blanket). But, it should be! These were so easy to throw together and were a big hit in my house.

ETA: EEP! Forgot the recipe!
1 pkg puff pastry
6-8 oz. breakfast sausage (casings removed, uncooked)
1 egg, beaten

Thaw puff pastry and unroll. Cut each sheet in half. Place sausages in center of pastry. Brush egg onto one edge of the pastry and roll up, using the egg as a glue. Using a fork, smush the seam together. brush egg over the top of the pastry rolls and cut into 1" pieces. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let sit for a few minutes and serve (great with marinara sauce!).

Project Picture:

7 Likes

Your table runner looks amazing! Congrats on getting it done AND earning 100 points for your house! :tada:

2 Likes

In all the excitement of the holiday weekend and the site being back up, I forgot to post the new Iron Chef prompt for July! D’oh! Here it is, better late than never. :slight_smile:

:mexico: Mexico - While a little late for Cinco de Mayo, it’s never a bad time for Mexican, especially chicken tamales, beef birria tacos, or homemade churros!

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay friends! Between the LC outage, and the holiday and a quirk whereby LC wouldn’t let me save edits to my posts for a day, I got a little behind. Here are your new Headmistress & Book Club prompts. And I’m officially granting an extension for June prompts that could not be posted due to the outage. You now have until July 15 to post any missed June specific prompts.

5 Likes

@craftsuntold your table runner is so beautiful! It looks like a lot of work!

@tendstowardschaos I’m so impressed by your Dr Who scarf! You’re really zooming along! Your hat turned out so pretty, too! I would never have guessed it’s your first. :slight_smile: I can almost hear the lovely beads clacking together on your bracelets. :slight_smile: I think my fave is the yellow and amber, but they’re all delightful. And the sausage rolls? Holy Moly. I’m really glad you linked the page too, as I’m already finding some other things I want to try! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! It is the largest quilted thing that I have made so far. :blush:

Thank you! That bracelet is Baltic amber…arranged from light to dark.

@tendstowardschaos belatedly catching up here, that quilt is amazing!!

@MistressJennie I’d heard about the formula issues but never associated it with Ada :scream: I hope the supply is a bit better?

@Abbeeroad that Simpsons badge is brilliant.

Class Headmistress July.
House Ravenclaw
Project, cake
Sometimes you just need cake, I’m going to have lunch with a friend and so I wanted to bring some cake. @jemimah recently sent me an awesome bird painting that had the words ‘a party without cake is just a meeting’ which is completely true! So I made cake.

Although it’s more a slice than a cake, from an old Australian women’s weekly cook book. Coconut and raspberry. I left it in the oven for longer than recommended because I like coconut cooked until it’s really chewy. Be aware if you make this, that this kind of desiccated coconut is unsweetened. Reduce the sugar if you’re using the sweetened kind.

Class: herbology
House: Ravenclaw
Project: altered jacket, hand printed and recut.

I’ve been working on my advanced studies, which is a steampunk costume for a wedding I’m attending in August. I needed some kind of jacket as the evening could be cool. So I thrifted a red jacket, but when I got it home the colour wasn’t right (I have terrible colour memory) so I decided to have a go at adjusting how the colour reads. It’s 100% polyester so I couldn’t use any of my dyes. But first I cut it to fit just to my natural waist line, and cut tails at the back. This was to allow room for the bustle on my skirt.

I cut a simple gear shape and mixed up a red closer to the one I wanted. This shape was cut from a thin craft foam sheet, with a scissors. Then I printed all over the coat, added stripes. I still wasn’t happy, so I went back in with a posca marker to outline each gear.

Then I used a commercial cling stamp to print some white fabric (lining from thrifted curtains) I lined the tails of the coat, the corners will be turned back with a button so the lining will show.

I plan to add ruffles to the sleeves of the blouse I’m wearing underneath, so I added slits to the sleeves to accommodate them.

The outfit so far on a mannequin, which is a lot smaller than me so it all looks bunched up

Still to do on this outfit.
*Add buttons to the tails and as a closure.
*Cut the blouse down and add a ruffle neck and sleeves
*Sew lots of ribbon bows onto the skirt
*Hand sew ultra thin led strip all over the back of the skirt.
*Make a bandolier with pouches for accessories.
*Make a crow skull topped staff.

Phew

10 Likes

Louise cake!! That’s a very traditional and popular baking recipe in Aotearoa - I love Louise cake :sparkling_heart: I hope your friend enjoyed it!

Is that what is called? I never knew that, it was delicious, we all enjoyed it.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Advance Studies Progress
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Ouzo Cardigan AS
Brief Description: More than 2 hours of progress on WIP since proposal. I don’t think there was a progress post last quarter, I can’t find one even though I meant to post one. Ugh… The back piece is finished, as is one of the front flaps. I’m half way through the second front flap, then it needs to be washed, blocked and seamed together! I might get to wear it in August, LOL. Things get done so slowly with a baby!
Project Picture:
Before (the beginning of the back piece, some time in March):

After:

8 Likes

It’s gorgeous!

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: (Not) Pink Fizz Sweater
House: Slytherin :snake:
Brief Description: This is an oversized sweater for me, so the size alone will cause it to be a long term project. The pattern calls for Fingering weight and lace mohair to be held double (creating a sport weight combo), but I will be using a sport weight yarn alone. The decorative panels among the sides are a mix of cables and lace.

Despite the pattern name, I will not be using pink because it’s just not my jam. Pink Fizz by Andrea Mowrey (Ravelry link).

8 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Summer top from men's workshirt
Brief Description: I upcycled a men’s workshirt to fit me with a more feminine look.
Project Picture

8 Likes