CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

:laughing: thanks for carrying the ASF torch @AntBee! :laughing:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Grey & Orange Dice Badge Holder
Brief Description: This badge holder is silver grey. I made it as a practice version, to test the pattern, before cutting up my husband’s favorite dungeon maps fabric. It will go to a friend of his, who is coming over from Ireland for another D&D con later this year.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Dungeon Maps Badge Holder
Brief Description: When my husband came home from Gary Con last year, he had a Badge holder he had purchased at the event. It was bright yellow, and made of that this fabric that giveaway grocery totes are made of. It was just not very Jim-like. So I decided to make his boring old badge holder more exciting. I made it from some cool dungeon map fabric I found on Spoonflower. Now he’ll have a custom one-of-a-kind badge holder… whenever he gets to go to Gary Con again. They just cancelled this year’s event. :slightly_frowning_face:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Ch 3
Project Name & Page Link: Citrus Olive Oil Cake
Brief Description: I have been looking forward to pottermouth visiting me for weeks now! She & her daughter stayed with us last night, and in honor of the event, I made a delicious Citrus Olive Oil Bundt Cake. It was seriously moist and delicious. I’ll be making it again for sure!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
LC Contest: F&T - Spring Greening
Project Name & Page Link: Recycled Silk Tuck-Away-Tote
Brief Description: Inspired by the pink ruffles & bows of Madam Puddifoot’s tea shop, I created a pink Tuck-Away Tote for the Spring Greening Challenge on the F&T board. The bottom of the bag features a pocket, so the tote can be tucked up inside itself, to fit into a purse or coat pocket.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: White D&D Pencil Pouches
Brief Description: Since I had more cute D&D fabrics laying around after making Jim’s badge holders, I decided to make some simple pencils pouches too. The fabric is graph paper, with pencils sketches of D20’s, treasure chests, swords & other weaponry, etc. I loved how fast they were to make, and that I got to use up stash fabrics for the lining, stash zippers, and even scraps of quilt batting floating around my stash for years.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Some lovely projects have been posted and I have been so slack with submitting my homework. Much detention for me. But given that I am sequestered for the forseeable future. I am going to challenge myself to do all the HP challenges with new things.

this is one

Class Charms
House Ravenclaw
Project. This was fairly simple but took a bit of time. I have a load of stickers, not sure why because I don’t actually use them much, but they were all dumped into a shoebox. I saw a divider organisation system on youtube and made one, I used some deeply discounted disney file folders, washi tape and some paper to make this, All of the sections are joined so that none of the stickers can get lost down between the sections.

2 Likes

Challenge: hermiones book club— letters from no one
House: Slytherin
Project Name: imaginary animal doodle page
Project description: often when I am feeling stressed I find that doodling and painting with random colors and imaginary animals makes me feel all sorts of better. So to escape the stress of planning a move to LA I doodled up this page.

4 Likes

Someone sent me this today, I thought this was a place it would be appreciated:

I feel like LC is our own little Room of Requirement where we can work on our Patronuses (patronii?) and still hang out together, in a manner of speaking.
Keep crafting and stay safe out there, friends!
(Crafty bonus: if your hands are busy making then you cant touch your face!)

8 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Spring Garden Cross Stitch Sampler “Grow Your Own”
Project Page Link: Here’s the Lettuce Craft Post!
Brief Description: Woooowee…this was a tough one to finish. Parts of it were quite boring but I trudged through because there were other projects I wanted to do and I wouldn’t let myself do them until I finished this one. Lol! The projected stitch time on this was 47 hours. I don’t keep track of how long I stitch projects because it would make me insane but I would say 47 hours is a good guess but maybe a tad long. More details in my Lettuce Craft post!
Project Picture: Here she is! In all her glory!

and for a regular class…

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: “Spring Break Cake!” AKA Corona-Cake!
Brief Description: We’re off school and most of the town is shut down so I’m trying to make the best of the situation and I made a cake FROM SCRATCH! You guys, I had big dreams of this being the best cake ever. Homemade cake! It’s gotta be delicious, right?! Eh. No. I’m gonna stick with box mixes. It was fine but definitely not good. Did we still eat all of it? Chyea. Cake for breakfast all weekend!

This fits the Transfiguration prompt because it included Baking Powder as an ingredient. Which I recently learned (while messing up a loaf of banana bread) that baking powder is kind of an important ingredient. :laughing:

" Baking powder lightens the texture of cakes by enlarging air bubbles within the batter. The correct use of baking powder makes the difference between a light and fluffy cake and a chocolate brick."

Project Picture:

and here’s the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. (I don’t recommend this recipe. :rofl:)

1 Like

@Whistlefish - Congrats on completing your Advanced Studies! Your project has been moved to the “completed” list and your house has earned 100 points! :tada:

1 Like

:zap: :heart: Announcement from the Headmistress… :heart: :zap:
While everyone else is busy cancelling events, your Headmistress is expanding some! For this term only, I will be increasing the number of times you may complete the Detention prompts. You may now complete Work In Progress, Reparo, and Advanced Studies twice each, and you may complete Stash up to five times!

These changes are intended to give you something fun to focus on while staying home, but as always, you are free to do as many or as few prompts as you wish.

6 Likes

Woohoo! My stash should be afraid…very afraid. :grin:

2 Likes

class Herb
House Ravenclaw
Project Rhubarb pie, something edible.
I bought a lot of fresh food last week as I wanted to have plenty in the house without having to go to the shops. So now I am trying to use it all up. There was some ready made pastry in the fridge, so this was dead easy.
Peel and chop rhubarb to fill a pie crust, add plenty of sugar (I used about 10 stalks of rhubarb and about 3 tbsp sugar. I could have doubled up on the sugar! and I don’t like things that sweet) and top with more pastry. Bake at about 160C until well browned.

Class Bookclub, chapter 3-letters
prompt-something that allows you to escape stress. I go for a walk first thing these mornings, in the woods there was a load of wild garlic. I have never collected it for food before, So I got a bunch and made this wild garlic pesto. The recipe is here. Wild garlic pesto

Class Detention-repair
Project, this was an old wooden cutlery (silverware) box from the salvage yard, I ripped out the old plastic flocked lining and painted it white. Then topped it with some fabric and used an old piece of a dyed woollen blanket to line it-the more I look at the photo of the lining the more it annoys me that the lines are not aligned. But the box is only for storage on shelves so I am going to leave it.

Class

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
LC Challenge D&F Spring Cleaning with a Twist!
Project Name: Makers Gonna Make Canister
Brief Description: I repurposed a utensil canister that would have otherwise gone into the recycling, to hold rulers in my craft room, and it was for one of the new LC challenges!
Project Picture:

StudioANF, don’t peek!

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name: Adhesive Vinyl Decorations
Brief Description: I spent the afternoon cutting some vinyl pieces as party decoration for an upcoming event that PerfectlyBohemian is hosting. I have to admit that while I don’t use my Silhouette for adhesive vinyl all that much, this project was so much fun! The image was nice and clear and weeded so easily.
Project Picture:

Note from the Headmistress… I’ve added another prompt for the term. From now until the end of term, you can do the new Make Your Own Holiday prompt up to two times!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: “All You Need is Tea” Wall Hanging
Brief Description: It’s cute. It’s pastel. It’s tea-related. It would totally fit right in with Madam Puddifoot’s.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: “Where There’s Tea There’s Hope” Wall Hanging
Brief Description: I made this with the intention of sending it to my tea-loving friend who’s currently battling cancer. I hope it’ll bring a smile to her face!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Chapter 4 - Keeper of the Keys
Project Name & Page Link: Our Traditional St. Paddy’s Day meal!
Brief Description: My grandmother was from Ireland. My dad lived there for several years. I got to visit when I turned 18 with my grandmother who was always very proud to be Irish. There are several “traditional” foods that I will not touch at all but corned beef? I can do some corned beef and cabbage! The ultimate comfort food - especially as we celebrated alone since we’re not allowed to have people over. :blush:

I didn’t follow a real recipe but I’ll tell you how I made it.

• Chop up carrots, onions, potatoes and place them in the slow cooker.
  • Add your corned beef roast on top of veggies.
  • Add 6 oz of beer (if you have it, which we didn’t - still delish!), and cover with the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef.
  • Cook on high for 6-8 hours.
  • I ran out of room in my slow cooker for cabbage so I cooked it separately. (Cabbage: boil salted water, add cabbage wedges, boil for 10 minutes, drain, cover in delicious butter and salt.)
  • We usually have rolls too because I love making little sandwiches out of them with plain yellow mustard.

Project Picture: Late night lighting so it doesn’t look as appetizing but I promise it was delicious!

@MistressJennie I love those cuts, they are great.

@Whistlefish as a complete tea-addict, I greatly approve (and covet) those cross stitches. They are fab

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Klaziena Shawl
Brief Description: Well, it’s time I come to terms with the fact that my latest shawl project is in fact, an Advanced Studies project. I started my Klaziena Shawl back on Christmas Eve, thinking I’d work on it over Christmas through New Year’s, while Craftster was down. But after a promising beginning, it got put on hold for other projects for friends. With us all social distancing, I pulled it back out on Monday and was all ‘F- yeah! I’m gonna bust through this project!’ Little did I know…

Despite my enthusiasm, on Monday I got all of two rows done, and on Tuesday I only got one done. The yarn is just so thin, that not even a quarter of the way through the project, and each row is already hundreds of stitches long. And every row is different, with a 20 row-repeat, that you just can’t memorize and zone out on. I’m fairly certain that even if I do work on it a minimum of 2 hours per night, every night, it will take several weeks to complete.

Here’s where I was as of Monday night. The pattern is supposed to take the entire cake of yarn, plus another mini cake. You can see I’ve just begun to make a dent in the first cake. So Advanced Studies to hold myself accountable on this project!

3 Likes

:love_letter: :owl: Note from the Headmistress :owl: :love_letter:
Friends, you will have noticed that I’ve increased the number of Detentions you can do for this term, and added the Create Your Own Holiday prompt. This is of course, in reaction to the Coronavirus keeping us all at home. My goal is to give you all the chance to craft and play along with the HPC during this unprecidented moment. To hopefully keep spirits up, and cheer each other on. I don’t want anyone to be sad because they’ve filled all the crafting prompts and have nothing to inspire them.

I know some of us will be home and bored, and will get tons of crafting done. Meanwhile some of us will be at home suddenly surrounded by spouses and kids and pets, who seem to suck up all our time, and leave none for crafting and creativity. So this is just a reminder, as always, that you can participate as much, or as little as you wish here in the HPC. Don’t let my additional prompts make you feel as though you are ‘behind’. You aren’t.

And on the other side of the coin, if you find you have filled all the prompts, including my new ones, and are eager for a few more categories to fill, please, please let me know. I’m happy to add or adjust prompt limits, to keep this cheerful little corner of the internet going for you all, during a surreal & scary time. I want you all to feel like even if you’re social distancing, through the use of Muggle-magic, we can all be together here in our very own online-Burrow.

3 Likes

Class: Herbology
House: Hufflepuff
Project name and link: knitted floor mat Knitted floor mat
Brief Description: I got this really lovely deep purple stretchy yarn that’s actually up cycled teeshirt scraps. I tried a quick floor mat, and it turned out to be a nice rug to stand on at the sink while vanquishing the dirty dishes.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Reparo
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Pillow Mending
Brief Description: Sometime in Autumn my dog was kind enough to give us her opinion on two decorative pillows. This was the salvageable one of the two. I restitched it closed and then added a blanket stitch border around it hoping to shore up the seams a bit.
Project Picture:

1 Like