CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

Note from the Headmistress… I’ve added another prompt for the term. From now until the end of term, you can do the new Make Your Own Holiday prompt up to two times!

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: “All You Need is Tea” Wall Hanging
Brief Description: It’s cute. It’s pastel. It’s tea-related. It would totally fit right in with Madam Puddifoot’s.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: “Where There’s Tea There’s Hope” Wall Hanging
Brief Description: I made this with the intention of sending it to my tea-loving friend who’s currently battling cancer. I hope it’ll bring a smile to her face!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Chapter 4 - Keeper of the Keys
Project Name & Page Link: Our Traditional St. Paddy’s Day meal!
Brief Description: My grandmother was from Ireland. My dad lived there for several years. I got to visit when I turned 18 with my grandmother who was always very proud to be Irish. There are several “traditional” foods that I will not touch at all but corned beef? I can do some corned beef and cabbage! The ultimate comfort food - especially as we celebrated alone since we’re not allowed to have people over. :blush:

I didn’t follow a real recipe but I’ll tell you how I made it.

• Chop up carrots, onions, potatoes and place them in the slow cooker.
  • Add your corned beef roast on top of veggies.
  • Add 6 oz of beer (if you have it, which we didn’t - still delish!), and cover with the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef.
  • Cook on high for 6-8 hours.
  • I ran out of room in my slow cooker for cabbage so I cooked it separately. (Cabbage: boil salted water, add cabbage wedges, boil for 10 minutes, drain, cover in delicious butter and salt.)
  • We usually have rolls too because I love making little sandwiches out of them with plain yellow mustard.

Project Picture: Late night lighting so it doesn’t look as appetizing but I promise it was delicious!

@MistressJennie I love those cuts, they are great.

@Whistlefish as a complete tea-addict, I greatly approve (and covet) those cross stitches. They are fab

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Klaziena Shawl
House: Gryffindor!
Brief Description: Well, it’s time I come to terms with the fact that my latest shawl project is in fact, an Advanced Studies project. I started my Klaziena Shawl back on Christmas Eve, thinking I’d work on it over Christmas through New Year’s, while Craftster was down. But after a promising beginning, it got put on hold for other projects for friends. With us all social distancing, I pulled it back out on Monday and was all ‘F- yeah! I’m gonna bust through this project!’ Little did I know…

Despite my enthusiasm, on Monday I got all of two rows done, and on Tuesday I only got one done. The yarn is just so thin, that not even a quarter of the way through the project, and each row is already hundreds of stitches long. And every row is different, with a 20 row-repeat, that you just can’t memorize and zone out on. I’m fairly certain that even if I do work on it a minimum of 2 hours per night, every night, it will take several weeks to complete.

Here’s where I was as of Monday night. The pattern is supposed to take the entire cake of yarn, plus another mini cake. You can see I’ve just begun to make a dent in the first cake. So Advanced Studies to hold myself accountable on this project!

3 Likes

:love_letter: :owl: Note from the Headmistress :owl: :love_letter:
Friends, you will have noticed that I’ve increased the number of Detentions you can do for this term, and added the Create Your Own Holiday prompt. This is of course, in reaction to the Coronavirus keeping us all at home. My goal is to give you all the chance to craft and play along with the HPC during this unprecidented moment. To hopefully keep spirits up, and cheer each other on. I don’t want anyone to be sad because they’ve filled all the crafting prompts and have nothing to inspire them.

I know some of us will be home and bored, and will get tons of crafting done. Meanwhile some of us will be at home suddenly surrounded by spouses and kids and pets, who seem to suck up all our time, and leave none for crafting and creativity. So this is just a reminder, as always, that you can participate as much, or as little as you wish here in the HPC. Don’t let my additional prompts make you feel as though you are ‘behind’. You aren’t.

And on the other side of the coin, if you find you have filled all the prompts, including my new ones, and are eager for a few more categories to fill, please, please let me know. I’m happy to add or adjust prompt limits, to keep this cheerful little corner of the internet going for you all, during a surreal & scary time. I want you all to feel like even if you’re social distancing, through the use of Muggle-magic, we can all be together here in our very own online-Burrow.

3 Likes

Class: Herbology
House: Hufflepuff
Project name and link: knitted floor mat Knitted floor mat
Brief Description: I got this really lovely deep purple stretchy yarn that’s actually up cycled teeshirt scraps. I tried a quick floor mat, and it turned out to be a nice rug to stand on at the sink while vanquishing the dirty dishes.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Reparo
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Pillow Mending
Brief Description: Sometime in Autumn my dog was kind enough to give us her opinion on two decorative pillows. This was the salvageable one of the two. I restitched it closed and then added a blanket stitch border around it hoping to shore up the seams a bit.
Project Picture:

1 Like

First project for the term!

Class or Challenge Title: HM Challenge March - Vernal Equinox
Project Name & Page Link: Colorful Blending Board Spin
Brief Description: I was finally able to spin up the blending board batts I made with a little bit of everything last term. The color scheme for me is very spring-y, in contrast to the constant grey and rainy that is the reality of spring in Pittsburgh. My plan for this yarn is to use in weaving scarves for my nieces, once I finally get around to setting the loom up. :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

3 Likes

You nailed me with this one! Still going to try to get some Corona Crafts in! Thanks for all the motivating inspiration!

And @MistressJennie - your Klaziena Shawl AS proposal has been added to the project log!

2 Likes

Lol, been there done that -except with fabric.

Great idea to join the folders!

Your crosstitch is so gorgeous :green_heart:

1 Like

Your shawl is looking stunning! :heart:

What a great idea! It is beautiful. :sunflower:

1 Like

So I feel silly asking this, but am I “allowed” to count adult coloring pages as projects? Most of them take several hours, so I think they hit the threshold for the amount of work, but some part of me still wasn’t sure. That’s the main crafty activity that my anxiety brain can handle right now, and by the looks for things, for a while yet.

3 Likes

Yes, I will allow you to count them, so long as it’s clear you’ve spent 30 minutes on it. Those adult coloring pages are often so busy, they clearly take time. :smiley:

If you were to submit a pencil drawing of a lone stick figure, that might be another story. :wink:

1 Like

@fishstix43 I’ve been doing some adult coloring while my daughter colors and the amount of time I’m spending on it will definitely count for me. :rofl:

Alrighty then - here’s the two I have completed thus far!

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Celtic Queen Coloring Page
Brief Description: When my anxiety brain started ramping up recently, I dug out a variety of coloring mediums, and some books that my husband bought (and had finished maybe one page of, max). What I have learned so far is that I only like mediums that are really smooth, nothing with any feedback. The glide-iest supply I had on hand were water-based markers, so I embarked on a full page with those. This isn’t from a particularly high-quality book (Celtic Designs By Carol Schmidt - Creative Haven brand), so the paper warped, but with a light hand I didn’t get much pilling. This was my first real attempt at any kind of shading/blending - I was particularly pleased with the shadows inside the red latticework.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Mandala Coloring Page #1
Brief Description: After my initial messing about, I had gone ahead and ordered a mandala book with higher quality paper, and a set of gel pens. I LOVE THEM. Part of it might be nostalgia (I was in middle school in the early 2000’s - the gel pen heyday), but it’s such a smooth application! All the cool effects (glitter, metallic, neon, etc) are just an added bonus.
Project Picture:
Sorry for the weird angle, I was trying to properly show all the SHINY! (And also, gel pen for scale. This is a big book, with a lot of space to fill when you’re working from a regular pen nib).

3 Likes

Psst… If you haven’t already, please vote in the Fiber & Textile Spring Greening Challenge, the Decorative & Functional Spring Cleaning with a Twist Challenge, and the Art Miniaturize My Craft Challenge!

Meanwhile, a brand new challenge was just opened on the Fashion board. Spring Bling 2020! The deadline for that one is April 20. There’s also a 4 Day ATC Blitz Challenge, that started last night.
And remember, by completing an LC challenge, you can earn 10 bonus house points!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Leprechaun Drawing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXvBKUDinE&feature=youtu.be

Brief Description: This last couple of weeks have been crazy. My husband has been ill, and got state quarantined due to a lack of tests. There were no tests available-so they had to put him on quarantine. That same day my school announced we would be going to online school the very next day. (I am a teacher at the school). I have been trying to support my upper el. students in different ways. Fast forward to this yesterday morning–I was woken up by a 5.7 earthquake! Oh my word-Crazy! So online school was cancelled for the day, as we all dealt with the craziness and anxiety of feeling aftershocks all day. This is the first earthquake I have experienced that is of any real consequence. I went online to assure my students, and let them know that I had seen the great artwork they had done for online art class a couple of days ago. They used a video to help them create leprechauns. I am terrible at drawing. I decided to create one today, to help soothe my nerves with a distraction- and to show my students and hopefully give them a minute of distraction from the quake anxiety.
I have to admit- I am really proud of this, lol. I think I will try some of his other drawing videos.

1 Like