CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

What a great idea! It is beautiful. :sunflower:

1 Like

So I feel silly asking this, but am I “allowed” to count adult coloring pages as projects? Most of them take several hours, so I think they hit the threshold for the amount of work, but some part of me still wasn’t sure. That’s the main crafty activity that my anxiety brain can handle right now, and by the looks for things, for a while yet.

3 Likes

Yes, I will allow you to count them, so long as it’s clear you’ve spent 30 minutes on it. Those adult coloring pages are often so busy, they clearly take time. :smiley:

If you were to submit a pencil drawing of a lone stick figure, that might be another story. :wink:

1 Like

@fishstix43 I’ve been doing some adult coloring while my daughter colors and the amount of time I’m spending on it will definitely count for me. :rofl:

Alrighty then - here’s the two I have completed thus far!

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Celtic Queen Coloring Page
Brief Description: When my anxiety brain started ramping up recently, I dug out a variety of coloring mediums, and some books that my husband bought (and had finished maybe one page of, max). What I have learned so far is that I only like mediums that are really smooth, nothing with any feedback. The glide-iest supply I had on hand were water-based markers, so I embarked on a full page with those. This isn’t from a particularly high-quality book (Celtic Designs By Carol Schmidt - Creative Haven brand), so the paper warped, but with a light hand I didn’t get much pilling. This was my first real attempt at any kind of shading/blending - I was particularly pleased with the shadows inside the red latticework.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Mandala Coloring Page #1
Brief Description: After my initial messing about, I had gone ahead and ordered a mandala book with higher quality paper, and a set of gel pens. I LOVE THEM. Part of it might be nostalgia (I was in middle school in the early 2000’s - the gel pen heyday), but it’s such a smooth application! All the cool effects (glitter, metallic, neon, etc) are just an added bonus.
Project Picture:
Sorry for the weird angle, I was trying to properly show all the SHINY! (And also, gel pen for scale. This is a big book, with a lot of space to fill when you’re working from a regular pen nib).

3 Likes

Psst… If you haven’t already, please vote in the Fiber & Textile Spring Greening Challenge, the Decorative & Functional Spring Cleaning with a Twist Challenge, and the Art Miniaturize My Craft Challenge!

Meanwhile, a brand new challenge was just opened on the Fashion board. Spring Bling 2020! The deadline for that one is April 20. There’s also a 4 Day ATC Blitz Challenge, that started last night.
And remember, by completing an LC challenge, you can earn 10 bonus house points!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Leprechaun Drawing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXvBKUDinE&feature=youtu.be

Brief Description: This last couple of weeks have been crazy. My husband has been ill, and got state quarantined due to a lack of tests. There were no tests available-so they had to put him on quarantine. That same day my school announced we would be going to online school the very next day. (I am a teacher at the school). I have been trying to support my upper el. students in different ways. Fast forward to this yesterday morning–I was woken up by a 5.7 earthquake! Oh my word-Crazy! So online school was cancelled for the day, as we all dealt with the craziness and anxiety of feeling aftershocks all day. This is the first earthquake I have experienced that is of any real consequence. I went online to assure my students, and let them know that I had seen the great artwork they had done for online art class a couple of days ago. They used a video to help them create leprechauns. I am terrible at drawing. I decided to create one today, to help soothe my nerves with a distraction- and to show my students and hopefully give them a minute of distraction from the quake anxiety.
I have to admit- I am really proud of this, lol. I think I will try some of his other drawing videos.

1 Like

I’m actually further behind on my Advanced Studies project now, than when I proposed it yesterday. When I was working on my shawl last night, I discovered that the two sides were different lengths, meaning there’s a mistake somewhere. I did a row count, and had two different numbers on the two sides. I undid a row, and counted the previous row, and it was definitely wrong, so that one came out too. I ended up frogging 4 rows last night. I have to do some more counting, and probably frog 1-2 more rows tonight. It was so depressing. :frowning_face:

I seem to be 4 stitches off per row right now, so I’m hoping, even if I don’t find the exact point the mistake was made, I can fudge it back to normal by adding in 1 stitch at the beginning and end, and 2 at the corner, to bring it back up to the correct amount, then just go from there.

May the yarn gods be with me, and also with all of you. :yarn:

2 Likes

Way to stick with it Mistress Jennie! It is going to be a gorgeous shawl.

I absolutely hate when that happens! It will be a gorgeous shawl when it’s all over though.

Sorry for how much food I’m about to share with you :stuck_out_tongue:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Arithmancy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Upgraded fish gratin
Brief Description: Fish gratin is so popular in Norway, I love it, but I also wanted to do something more special. Normally we eat the gratin with potatoes and grated carrots. I wanted to upgrade the dish by switching out the macaroni in the dish with cauliflower, as we have potatoes on the side and don’t need the extra carbs, I also added orange slices to the carrots AND a “dressing” made out of a little sugar, vinegar and water, it had a really nice taste.
The link is to a recipe I translated, I think there is enough sauce to the fish/cauliflower ration, but I didn’t follow the amount of recipes when I made the sauce as I’ve made it plenty before, so I’m not 100% certain it’s enough.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention stash challenge + Slytherin Scavenger Hunt #8
Project Name & Page Link: Lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry syrup
Brief Description: I had some ricotta that I didn’t know how to use, and managed to find this recipe that was really nice. I didn’t have enough ricotta so I added some cream cheese, and I didn’t have lemon so I added orange juice, which tastes far more lemon than orange to be honest. I’m also using it for the purple prompt, they might not look that purple on the picture, but once we started eating them they the pancakes, plate and our teeth were all purple.
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Headmistress challenge - Vernal Equinox
Project Name & Page Link: Orange marmalade
Brief Description: Finding the right balance when you make marmalade, or jam, is hard, even when you use recipes (trust me, I’ve messed them up plenty of times). I’ve made orange marmalade before, even if I followed the recipe it was a mess in the end, I tried to add more water but in the end it still wasn’t good, the balance was so difficult when you’ve never made marmalade or jams before and don’t know how much it hardens once it cools. This time I had help from someone who had made it before so I learned a bunch and finally got it right.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club, The Keeper of the keys
Project Name & Page Link: Creamy garlic butter Tuscan trout with roasted root vegetables
Brief Description: I know the recipe said salmon, but it’s possible to make it with trout, and the end result is so yummy! I made this as a comforting meal for some of the people I love.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Hogwarts - Harissa + Slytherin Scavenger Hunt #5
Project Name & Page Link: Tunisian fricassee roll
Brief Description: Harissa is often used in Tunisian dishes, and I found this recipe that seemed quite fun to try. I added mayo because I thought it was a bit too dry, and it was quite nice. A thing I would so change for next time is not frying the rolls, because they were too hard and didn’t taste any better than if I baked them.
I also use this recipe for the Slytherin scavenger hunt challenge “inspired by a niffler” because the rolls are stuffed with wonderful things, might not be gold and jewels but for some food is more important than metals
Project Picture:

Slytherin Scavenger hunt #13 Inspired by trains
I was inspired by steam trains and made steamed dumplings.. We also boiled some noodles and fried some red pepper and squash on the side.

Slytherin Scavenger hunt #15 Inspired by fairy tales
I chose Goldilocks and made oatmeal porridge, but not just normal oatmeal, banana peanut butter oatmeal. I also added flax seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins and pomegranate seeds. On mine (the top) I also drizzled dates syrup because I like the taste of it and it’s good for my stomach.

2 Likes

@imera Daaaaaaaang girl! Can you come be my personal cook?! :heart_eyes::drooling_face:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle studies
House: hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: sweater
Brief Description: I teach muggles and we go out every Wednesday no matter the weather, so I needed a lightweight sweater that looks nice but is also warm
Project Pi

3 Likes

I’m not against that occupation XD and I do like making food

Finally have a couple things I can share…been crafting away, but a lot of it is secret!

Challenge: Detention: Stash (#1)
House: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Colorful Mug Rugs
Brief Description: Made entirely from stash, these two mug rugs are for my little crazies.
Project Pictures:

Challenge: Headmistress: March
LC Challenge: Spring Bling Fashion Challenge Entry
House: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Embroidery-faced Plugs
Brief Description: I love to show off jewelry all year round, but especially in the spring. Something about big, bold pieces just seems to fit with flowers blooming. These pieces also balance each other both because there’s one for each side of my head :laughing: and in the pop of color balancing with the simpler black and white.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I finally caught back up to where I had been on my shawl before I had to frog a bunch of rows! And I even did 1 new row tonight. Woot!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: SOAR
Project Name & Page Link: doll clothes
Brief Description: my nieces are bored and asked for some new doll clothes and their dolls to be dropped off, so to begin I whipped up this set of 4 matching outfits that can also mix and match

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Harissa
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Mediterranean Red Lentil Soup (Vegan & pantry staple friendly)
Brief Description: Made a delicious warming lentil soup, with an awesome kick from the harissa, and brightness from the lemon. It made 6 good sized servings. We had it for dinner twice, then froze the rest for later this month.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Guys! I’m so excited to see everything on here! I haven’t been on since school got closed. I’m definitely in the boat of having the energy sucked out of me being at home so I didn’t want to look and see all of the amazingness if I couldn’t put something in also. I have a couple of projects done that I just need to take pictures of so I look forward to doing that tomorrow.
You people are so amazing and fantastic with all the things you’ve accomplished! Way to go!