CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

I’m sorry to hear about your mom. Praying for her and your family while she is going through treatment.

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Time for Tea doily
Brief Description: Taking a page out of Madam Puddifoot’s decor book I made up this colorful doily for under my one year old’s toy tea set. Hopefully it encourages Super Pig to show a modicum of self restraint. I keep finding him all around the house like this:

(pretty sure those are hot toddies)
I used a free pattern found here and worked it up in Lily sugar n creme yarns from my stash. Forgive me, I didn’t block it as Madam Puddifoot surely would, but again, Pig isnt’ super discerning.

I still have ends to weave in. I did this in one sitting last night from 9pm to midnight so I decided to save the ends for hand work during her free play time this morning. I thought I wouldn’t like it with so many colors that don’t at first seem to go together, but I actually love it. It’s very cheery and Merlin knows I could use some extra of that around here this Spring. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love it!! I bet Super Pig does, too. :laughing:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Pickles
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Quick Pickled Carrots
Brief Description: Like everyone else, I’ve been working with cooking & making due with whatever I have on hand around the house. Sadly, the first thing we run out of is fresh produce, long before milk or eggs or other staples that necessitate actually going to the store. However, I somehow always have so many carrots in the veggie drawer. In an effort to get myself eating a few more veggies at lunch, rather than more processed foods like chips, I decided to try making a batch of quick-pickles. These are not shelf stable, like my usual canning adventures, but they are crunchy, tart, and more exciting than dry carrot sticks. Plus, I had all the ingredients on hand already.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention WIP Challenge
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Baby Blanket! (only without the ear border)
Brief Description: I don’t remember if I started this before the semester started, so I’m submitting it as a WIP. It’s super easy and the yarn ending up striping nicely! It’s going to a co-worker’s baby boy.
Project Picture:
IMG_20200419_145007

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum
SPEW or LC Contest: Lettuce Help Our Communities. I’ll be donating the remainder of these to our community mask drive for essential workers.
Project Name & Page Link: First Batch of Masks - Deaconess Face Mask Pattern
Brief Description: There were originally five in this batch, but I kept one because I’d tried it on to see how they fit and another two went to friends.

SPEW or LC Contest: Lettuce Help Our Communities. I’ll be donating the remainder of these to our community mask drive for essential workers.
Project Name & Page Link: Second Batch of Masks - Deaconess Mask with Ties
Brief Description: I modified the pattern slightly to use a lining and outer fabric rather than one large piece folded for the mask itself. These ties take forever to make but produce a very sturdy mask. Nine in this batch originally, but again I tried one on so I’m keeping it.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’ve seen amazing work again on here. Things have been quite fast-paced since January, and really kicked up a notch since March. I’m WFH and homeschooling and all the other stuff. Too mentally exhausted to do any crafting in the evenings just now. Hoping to be able to post one or two classes at least this month… glad the term is next month, too! :smile: :heart:

2 Likes

Project Name & Page Link: Third Batch of Masks
Brief Description: Four masks this time with both elastic and ties. Added to the pile to drop of at the donation point after work.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name: Couch Repair
Brief Description: I have a comfortable, ancient love seat (my parents bought it in 1975, reupholstered it around 1990) and a corona virus foster cat. Foster kitty found a hole in the bottom of the couch and had a grand time climbing around in there, so I appliqued a patch on the bottom. It was quite a challenge without a curved needle, but eventually I got it done. And within 24 hours of completion the kitty was off to her forever home. So much for that.

4 Likes

I am in LOVE with the shape of that couch! OMG she’s gorgeous. (also, that desk! I’m loving your style!) Have you seen the Christine McConnell Youtube show where she redoes an old couch into an amazing upcycle? It may interest you, not sure.

Well done for doing the patch, even if the interloper has moved on. Better not to let these things linger anyway. Right?

Hey that’s a great idea. My puppy has shredded the bottom of my expensive couch and there are all of these dangling bits - applique is a perfect way to fix it!

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted! Please note that since it was 2 days late this time I have extended the deadline 2 days past normal, but I will begin Chapter 8 on the regularly scheduled date of May 11, giving them a small overlap of time.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: HMC - April
SPEW or LC Contest: SPCA, maybe?
Project Name & Page Link: Foster Kitty Blanket
Brief Description: April 11 is apparently National Pet Day. I don’t usually have a pet, but I started fostering for the SPCA when they had to empty the shelter due to the current crisis. I didn’t have any extra linen to line boxes and soak up scents to make the kitty feel more “in charge” of the space, so I whipped up a quick square using some stashed yarn and a dishcloth pattern. The kitty approved and napped all over it, so she took it with her when she went to her forever home for a touch of familiarity.

Bonus “action shot”

6 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum Challenge
SPEW or LC Contest: Lettuce Help Our Communities
Project Name & Page Link: Masks for a friend
Brief Description: A friend of mine is super worried about the virus, and she doesn’t have any sewing machine so I offered to make her two masks instead of her (who has almost no experience sewing, and who would try to make masks by hand stitching them). So I made two, double sided so she can insert filters in them.
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Challenge - pickles
Project Name & Page Link: Fish burger
Brief Description: It has pickles in the sauce, which I really liked.
Anyway, is it cheating if I used fish burgers and not fish filet? It was on sale, and I still followed the fish coating recipe (which I liked).
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Monthly Prompts
Project Name & Page Link: Patio plants
Brief Description: I want to try and grow some edible food, and while I would love to plant it in my garden I don’t want to go through all that trouble considering I want to move from here eventually and I want to take my plants with me. I planted mint, snow peas, radishes, carrots and strawberries (which I got from my mom so they were already plants) I need to move them around a little once I’ve decided where to set them.
I also have some cress seeds which I want to plant, once I find my small pots again so I can keep them inside in my kitchen.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Awesome pickles entry, @imera! That reminds me!

The Secret Ingredient for May is… HONEY!

Sweeten up your Spring with some honey! Try out these soy honey pork noodles, some clementine and honey couscous, or a honey, parsnip, and coconut cake!

Class: Alchemy
SPEW: Safe Haven (local shelter)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Silver Scarves
Brief Description: For Alchemy class, I crocheted two scarves using yarn with silver sections.
Project Picture:

(patterns: One Ball Scarf, One Ball Crocheted Scarfie)

Class: Charms
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Unholey Granny Squares
Brief Description: For Charms, I crocheted some blanket squares. They’ll be turned into blankets to keep people cozy. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(pattern: Unholey Granny Square)

Class: Muggle Studies
SPEW: American Legion Auxiliary (via local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Blueberry Hats
Brief Description: For Muggle Studies, I was inspired by the cold to crochet some hats for local veterans.
Project Picture:

(pattern: My Blueberry Hat)

Class: Study of Ancient Runes
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Corner to Corner Squares
Brief Description: For SoAR, I crocheted 4 colorful blanket squares.
Project Picture:

(pattern: Corner to Corner Square)

3 Likes

A new Headmistress prompt has been posted…

3 Likes

I feel so bad that I’ve been so inactive this term. But with MommaAquaheart’s passing Technicoloraquahearts and I are faced NA a huge move. We are leaving the home we had with MommaAquaheart for the past 15yrs and going to Los Angeles to try out a new environment. We are both enrolled in a tattoo school there and hope to pedal our art after the current crisis is over. We have been packing forever it seems and have to do a last push before the movers come next week! I didn’t even realize how much scrapbook paper and stamps we had!! The stash doesn’t seem to end. (Really?.. how did we end up with 7boxes of fabric alone!?)

4 Likes

Love the May prompt! Time to get my geek on! :nerd_face:

Good luck @ErinAquaheart!!

Good luck to the Aquahearts!