CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

Class/challenge_ detention advanced studies
House_Gryffindor
Project- soya letters from hogwarts http://cunningcrossstitch.blogspot.com/p/syoa-letters-from-hogwarts.html

this is the same stitchalong that Inseaeffchen is working on, but I started at the top instead of the middle. I’m enjoying the individual components to keep me motivated. I did some of the framework while I was trying to decide whether to change the castle or not. The center top section will be a large house banner, I’m considering changes with that as well, so I went back to the castle which will finish off the top, except for the backstitiching. there is a facebook group where people are sharing their changes to the origionally pattern, and that is keeping me motivated as well.

begining of january

!
current progress

3 Likes

Will have to check out the facebook page - didn’t even think about making changes to the pattern :roll_eyes:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: 3d flower card
Brief Description: My first attempt at this card was a complete failure, in that the 3d flower would not open. I started again and I am finally happy with the end result.
Project Picture:

Attempt number 1

Attempt number 3 (second attempt was an undecorated trial to check gluing placement)

5 Likes

the pop up flowers are really gorgous! persistance pays off!

class/ challenge -arithimancy
house- gryffindor
project sewing card

My daughter is in a play set around 1880, and she needed some props. In one scene she is using a sewing card. I found a thin piece of wood left over from a wood burning project. it took a little effort to punch the holed into it, but it needs to hold up through several performances. no one except the actor will see it upclose, but it looked a bit plain. I found an image of an advertisement from that time period that would have been printed onto collectible cards, and decoupage it onto the sewing card to give it more charm.

I love that sewing card!

Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club, Ch1: The Boy Who Lived
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: “Home” Blueprint Embroidery
Brief Description: A house can be very ordinary and practical and mundane, but a home can be magical. :slightly_smiling_face: Inspired by both the ordinary home Harry is sent to and the magical world swirling around it, I embroidered the footprint of my home on blue fabric, blueprint style! This has also been on my to-do list since our house was flooded in Hurricane Irene in 2011, so it’s a very belated celebration of being “Home Again.”
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class Arithmancy
House ravenclaw
Project I made brownies. The recipe is straightforward, melt 175g (good!) Chocolate, same of (good) butter and 25g of cocoa powder together.

In a separate bowl whisk together 180g sugar+3eggs and a tsp vanilla.

Mix the two together and add 100g flour. Bake at 180C for 24 minutes.

I think the recipe can use improving, so I dry fried about 100g pecans and added a little salt. Added that with100g dried cranberries, into the mix.

Photo

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Ch 1; The Boy Who Lived
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Stash Busting Dishcloths
Brief Description: There’s nothing more mundane than doing the dishes. But hopefully these cheerful little dishcloths will make the task a bit nicer. They were made from a mix of cotton yarns in my stash, some Lion Brand, some Peaches n’Cream. I like how they all came together.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress February
Project Name & Page Link: Circuit Board Valentine
Brief Description: A sweet little Valentine for my dear husband, who works/worked with computers as a software programmer.
Project Picture:

I haven’t filled in the inside yet, but it will probably include a pun like ‘You drive me crazy’ to go with the thumb drive.

5 Likes

I have 7 entries to date.

Class: Care of Magical Creatures (CoMC)
Project Name: Valentine’s Day Folded Book Art
Brief Description: One thing I can do to practice conservation is to REUSE items that no longer have use. I’ve taken this old withdrawn library book and repurposed it into a triple-heart Valentines’ Day work of art! I learned this technique at our local library, and it’s encouraged me to continue researching the craft to include more complicated folded books as well as fold and cut books. Just search for “folded book art” on Pinterest, and see what’s waiting for you down that rabbit hole!
Project Picture:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Mrs. Scarecrow wall hanging
Brief Description: This was originally a Mr. Scarecrow design by Lori Holt. I decided to change him into a Mrs. and give her some pink and frilly clothes. One of her main accessories is her purple hat. This was inspired by the Purple Hat Society, founded in 2000 to promote social interaction among women. So appropriate for Mrs. Scarecrow!
Project Picture:

Class: Alchemy
Project Name: Patchwork Death Star
Brief Description: This is a quilted 12 x 12 wall hanging. It’s for a scholarship auction, which has been postponed until who knows when, but it’s finished, and I hope it brings in a lot of money. In the original Star Wars movie, Luke Skywalker thinks the Death Star is a moon. But Obi Wan corrected him, saying, “That’s no moon.” I even included the quote in the orbit stitching.
Project Picture:

Class: History of Magic (HoM)
Project Name: Coffee Face Mask Cover
Brief Description: I’ve been making covers for the blue face masks that my friend (a nurse) has to wear in her job. They’re still having trouble finding masks, and these covers allow them to wear the same one and just change out the washable cover. This one is inspired by the coffee served at Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop.
Project Picture:

Class: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Morse Code FRIEND Friendship 12" Quilt Block
Brief Description: My local quilt guild is in the process of assembling a friendship quilt by letting each member craft a 12" block using a selected common fabric. In this case, it is a black and white modern design. When all of the blocks are done, we will have a drawing, and the winner wins ALL of the blocks to make a friendship quilt with. Each block will be signed by the member who made it. In my block, I used the selected fabric for the background to emphasize the WHITE Morse Code dashes and dots to spell out the word FRIEND. The top row is “F,” the 2nd is “R,” etc. (The block is unquilted because it will need to be assembled with the others after the drawing.)
Project Picture:

~Expecto Patronum Challenge~
Project Name: Masks and Scrub Caps
Brief Description: The nurses at the Northern Kentucky Health Department needed face mask covers to extend the life of the masks they are using. I have made 15 for them. I’ve also made 7 for family members. I am continuing this project, and I will update the number as I hand them out. Not all of them are pictured below, but I did take a couple of shots of the first ones I made.
Project Picture:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Name: Beer Bread
Brief Description: I’ve been trying to use up some old beer in the fridge to make room for more important things (some friends had brought some over a while back and didn’t drink it all), and one of the best ways to use it up is to make beer bread. It only has 3 ingredients (self-rising flour, honey, and a can of beer). Since beer has BUBBLES, it was perfect for this Transfiguration project!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Virus Afghan
Brief Description: After over 2 years in the making this afghan is finally DONE! It was started in September of 2017 as a stash buster, and lingered as it was put aside for other projects. I’m so glad to have it done.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class: Herbology
SPEW: Metro Detroit Share
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pixie Hollow Baby Blankets
Brief Description: These blankets were made for Metro Detroit Share & will go in the memory boxes they make. All are made with Lion Brand Mandala Baby yarn (color: Pixie Hollow) & each one has purple in it. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club - The Boy Who Lived
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Aquamarine C2C Baby Blanket
Brief Description: This corner-to-corner blanket was made to celebrate my cousin’s new baby! No pattern was used - I just increased until it was the size I wanted & started decreasing. I used almost a whole ball of Lion Brand Pound of Love (in Aquamarine) - I only have 8 grams left!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Stunning work, @MistressJennie! Your completed AS project has been added to the Advanced Studies Log of Completed Projects, and your house has been awarded 100 points!

Class or Challenge Title: Feb History if Magic
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: Today is big bean’s Valentine’s Day party at kindergarten so I whipped up some homemade cupcakes for her to take for her party. They are vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream and are so delicious! They are topped with cookies bought from Trader Jo’s. I cheat! :wink: They are perfectly pink and sweet. :slight_smile: I did two batches for a total of 28 cupcakes. Below is the one I saved for little bean. Here is the recipe, which is definitely a keeper!: https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/vanilla-cupcakes/
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Jailhouse Blues Onsies
Brief Description: Using the SHARP blade of my Cricut, I cut out some heat transfer vinyl and ironed them onto baby onsies for my sister’s baby shower. We threw her a “jailhouse blues” theme. Her baby was born at almost 27 weeks and has spent the last 3 months in the NICU. Its been a long road for them with and end coming soon (1-2 weeks).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Banana nut bread!
Brief Description: I had some over ripe bananas so it was time to make some banana nut bread! The recipe that I found worked so well and it was delicious! Big bean ate so much of it! Recipe here: https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/best-banana-bread-recipe/
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes (SoAR)
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Meatballs!
Brief Description: We had our D&D group over for dinner on sunday. We made spaghetti and meatballs, and the meatballs were BIG! We made a total of 8lbs of meatballs! We used 4 different meats in there: hamburger, ground turkey, ground chicken, and italian sausage. They were so delicious and easy to make! I used this recipe, which was easy to do more batches of easily to add the different meats. I also added some minced garlic and Parmesan cheese and baked directly on the parchment paper. They were soooo good! https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-meatballs-480711
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Sari Silk & Agate Slice Necklace and Earrings
Brief Description: This project was inspired by a dragons hoard of gold. Gold agate slice edged in gold, surrounded by gold beads, and golden strands of sari silk.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Heart in Hand Valentines
Brief Description: I created these Valentines for the Gryffindor Valentine’s Exchange. Their bold red color, and brave hearts are representative of Gryffindor House!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

@jellybean: You’ve submitted two projects under Herbology. The Pixie Hollow Baby Blankets, and Banana Bread. Only the first one has been counted. If you wish to submit the Banana Bread under another category please let me know.

I haven’t made any banana bread - I think you want @jillybeans?

Well it looks like after having both of you in this craftalong off and on for years, I finally did it. I finally mixed you two up while doing a points tally. I think it was mostly because the posts were in quick succession. Usually when that happens, it’s the same person posting several blocks of projects in a row, and I’m just staying on the same row in the spreadsheet as I add in numbers. I’ve gone back and untangled them posts in both the list and spreadsheet, and double checked my work to make sure everyone has the points they’re supposed to.

I think losing the ‘89’ from the end of your name made it a pinch closer to Jillybeans too. @jellybean and @jillybeans. I’d swear you two ladies are trying to Gred & Feorge me.

6 Likes