CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

Not sure if it’s just me, but couldn’t find it.
I thought it would be with the February one, but doesn’t seem to be?
Might just be me/my technology :woman_shrugging:t2:

Just had another look - the new one is there, but still says February.
Will there be a new Iron Chef challenge too?

Yep! Here’s the :woman_cook: :shallow_pan_of_food: :hocho: March Iron Chef :hocho: :shallow_pan_of_food: :woman_cook: prompt!

@MistressJennie will update the main post when she can! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @GMPNQ. The Slytherin Scavenger Hunt is there. It’s not in the Craft Prompts post. It’s a few posts below in the Slytherin Common Room.

The new Headmistress prompt for March simply had a typo. I’ll fix it to say March, rather than February. And yes, there’s a new Iron Chef prompt. Sometimes prompts that start on a new month might take 1 extra day to show up. We’re all real people, and sometimes life happens, and we don’t get to it the first day. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am particularly bad when the 1st falls on a weekend. :upside_down_face: Thanks for the patience, friends! :slightly_smiling_face:

Class or Challenge: Astronomy
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Wide Open Pouch
Brief Description: I know what you’re thinking - what the heck does this pouch have to do with a dragon? Well, for my homework assignment I decided to challenge a dragon. (i.e. tackling a project that’s hard for me to beat and out of my comfort zone). I know it may not seem like much but I’m not a super good sewer. I get along fine-ish, but it’s not my wheelhouse. Zippers and liners seem so fiddly to me because I rarely do them but the real battle this time seemed to be the dang “wide open” corners. I had a heck of a time getting the fabric to pinch correctly so I could mark it off and sew it. I shall not let this dragon beat me though…i already picked out some fabric to battle this dragon again.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
LC Contest: Miniaturize Your Craft - Art Board
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Blue Miniature Dragon Egg Dice Bag
Brief Description: This project was made entirely from stash! The yarn, mini aluminum scales, and Swarovski crystal beads were all just hanging out in my stash, waiting to become something awesome.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - March
LC Contest: Miniaturize Your Craft - Art Board
Project Name & Page Link: Green Miniature Dragon Egg Dice Bag
Brief Description: When I think Spring, I think GREEN. Green in all it’s glory. This miniature dice bag is made of an ombred green yarn, with bright spring greens, all the way through deep grass green. Happy spring everyone!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 2
Project Name & Page Link: Gloriously Pink Unicorn Bracelet
Brief Description: I’m not much of a fan of the color pink. I don’t know why, I just don’t like it. The one possible exception, is rose quartz. I love rose quartz, so I picked up a long strand on sale from my favorite bead vendor. As part of my stash busting mission, I decided to see what I could do with it, and decided on a simple memory wire bracelet. I found it was a bit TOO simple, so after getting some advice from @StudioANF, I added in some gold jump rings, and some enamel charms of moons, stars and unicorns. It’s not quite my style, but I do love how gloriously, unabashedly pink it is.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Artisan Heart Earrings
Brief Description: Earlier last month, I was feeling a bit at a loss of what to craft. I knew I wanted to used up some stash, and especially use some of my extra fancy schmancy beads. So I joined the Thing A Day Craftalong to give myself a little push. These two pairs of earrings helped me push myself out of my crafting rut!
Project Picture:
Purple and copper.

Blue and violet.

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Miniature Granny Square Rug
Brief Description: This tiny project used 4 mini skeins of yarn, in 4 colors! It was made as part of the Lettuce Craft Curio Cabinet.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Pumpkin Paisley Skirt
Brief Description: I bought some recycled sari wrap skirts from Darn Good Yarn. I love their skirts, but you are usually buying a mystery skirt. You send your size and length needs, and a note about your favorite colors, and one of the workers at the warehouse picks one out for you. In this instance I got two mystery skirts, and felt like the contrasting underskirts did NOT match the overskirts well, BUT they matched the OTHER skirt quite well. So I used my pointy & sharp seam ripper to take them apart, and sharp needles to sew them back together. Meanwhile since they are silk, they were very smooth and slippery. So the deep pumpkin underskirt of this one, was originally under the black & magenta of the next skirt. And the mauve seen in that one, was with this paisley. I think they match one another much better now.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Black & Purple Skirt
Brief Description: These poor skirts were WIPs for ages. I started the alterations in November, but the holidays came up, and then the site change, and it it took forever to get them finished. For this one, and the one above, I took the waist bands off, unstitched the layers, took out the poorly done French seams which had huge blobs of tan thread all over them, restitched the French seams, swapped the underskirts, took off about 15" of width around the body (they were a size too big), relayered them, reattached the waist bands, added new button holes, and hemmed them with a lettuce edge finish on my serger. Doesn’t the mauve look better under the black & magenta?
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: Purple & Gold Skirt
Brief Description: This skirt wasn’t a mystery. I bought it in one of their FB live sales, knowing it was a size too big. I’m right in between their plus size and goddess size, so I decided to give goddess a try. It was just wayyy to much fabric for me. So I partially unstitched the waist band, cut off about 15" of width around the body, then restitched the new edges, reattached the waist band, shortened one end of the ties (the one that was now too long), and then hemmed both with a better thread match. You can’t tell from this picture, but the gold layer has heat set rhinestones around the hem. They’re so pretty!
Project Picture:

1 Like

Who in the right mind would put pumpkin with black and magenta?!? Your fixes are WAY better!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Aldi quarter keeper
Brief Description: This little helper allows the holder to avoid scrounging in between car seats, through pockets, having to run back to the car and in potentially sticky cup holders, etc., for a quarter when shopping at stores which use the quarter deposit feature to keep parking lots free of loose shopping carts and to keep their overhead lower. I might add a little flair to it but probably not as I’m giving it to my sister today. Last week she had lamented not having something to keep a quarter with her reusable bags so I made this from stash as a little surprise for tonight’s errand run. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Love it Ant Bee. Even though I generally try to empty change from most places, I make sure to always keep like 4 Aldi quarters in reserve in strategic locations. One in my dash board cubby area, one in my wallet, one in my purse zippered compartment, one in the glove box. LOL.

1 Like

@antbee It’s so cute!! I LOVE Aldi. A while back they were selling quarter keepers there and I got a little purple avocado one. I did find out, however, at my Aldi if you forget a quarter the workers usually have spare carts up by our registers. Bless them.

1 Like

If I read the Advanced Studies blurb right, there are no longer any prompts and we just come up with our own. Is that correct? I still have a Muggle Studies one I’m working on, but would like to propose my second:

Project Name: Diagon Alley Book Nook
House: Hufflepuff
Brief Description: In studying the Shrinking Solution for Potions class, I will be making a scaled-down version of a chunk of Diagon Alley for a bookshelf insert.

You got it! As long as your AS fits the time and difficulty requirements you’re good! I think your Diagon Alley project qualifies and sounds super cool! Can’t wait to see!!

EDIT: @Moonflame: your AS has been added to the project log!

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class: History of Magic
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pink Stash Baskets
Brief Description: For History of Magic, I made stash baskets inspired by the pink bows/ruffles at Madam Puddifoot’s! :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(patterns: Stash Basket, Crocheted Stash Basket)

~~

Challenge: House Unity
SPEW: WMH Long Term Care (local hospital)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Green Corner-to-Corner Lapghan
Brief Description: For House Unity, I made a Slytherin green lap blanket for Long Term Care at my local hospital. I used 2 jumbo skeins of yarn, but they were apparently slightly different shades (the same color purchased a couple years apart), but it’s not as noticeable in person. At least the color change is right in the middle so it looks somewhat intentional. :grin:
Project Picture:

(no pattern used)

1 Like

Happy birthday to our very own @FiberAlchemist! :birthday: :clinking_glasses: :eagle:

1 Like

Happy Birthday, Fiber!!

Thanks!

@FiberAlchemist :cake: :tada: :confetti_ball: :musical_note: Happy Happy Birthday!!! :musical_note: :confetti_ball: :tada: :cake:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @FiberAlchemist!!!

I guess Jennie couldn’t fit your name on a cake. :wink:

1 Like