CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

:honeybee: Hufflepuff Common Room :honeybee:

{art by Ash Weaver}

Stay tuned in March for the Hufflepuff Easter Egg Hunt Extra Credit Surprise!

:star: Hufflepuff Completed Assignment Spreadsheet :star:

1 Like

Welcome one and all to a new term of the HPC! :heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Trying a little something different this term for Iron Chef. Introducing the…

:rainbow: Iron Chef Ostara Cook the Rainbow Challenge :rainbow:

:watermelon: :strawberry: :apple: :tomato: February: RED. Strawberries, tomatoes, beets! Incorporate RED foods into your dish this month. Try red chicken enchiladas, tomato crostini, or a delicious strawberry crisp.

:rainbow: I will be offering a sticker again for any HPC member who completes all 4 challenges. :rainbow:

3 Likes

Ok friends, with the new term, I’ve created the new page for Hermione’s Homework Planner. It is the first post, labeled “Ostara 2021 Master”. (Please don’t mess with/write in the Master sheet.) I’m going to give you all a couple days to save or copy any info you want to from our old Yule Term, then I’ll go in and cut & paste the new page into each of your individual pages. I’m going to try to do that Friday, so be sure to save any info you want by then!

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone that helps with this craftalong. It always helps my motivation, and creativity. Are there still open positions for professors, or are they filled?

Hufflepuffs, this is our term, I can feel it. (Does a high kick and cheer for Hufflepuff)

3 Likes

Starting the new semester with an advanced studies proposal :smiley:

Project name: Hogwarts house crests in cross stitch
House: Hufflepuff
Brief description: Planning on completing all 4 house crests in cross stitch - patterns are here.

Have started this evening by gridding crest number one (starting with Hufflepuff of course! :wink:) and had a few minutes left before bed to add the first few stitches.

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Edel’s Heart Quilt Block
Brief Description: I’ve been participating in the Quiltalong, and was inspired by the Block of the Month our very own Edel designed for February. It’s made of scraps of teal, with a black background, and will hopefully go well with the other BOMs I’m planning to make with black & jewel tones.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

They are all filled for now. :blush:

@MistressJennie - I love the quilt block, it is going to look amazing in black/jewel tones

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: https://www.theworldinstitches.co.uk/blogs/blog/free-harry-potter-house-crest-cross-stitch-charts
Brief Description: Spent a couple of hours after work today, working on my proposed advanced study.
Project Picture:
As I left it yesterday -

And after a couple of hours work this evening -

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Quilting Charm Bracelet
Brief Description: This bracelet was a special creation. The woman who requested it, had me make it for her husband’s sister, whom he just found out about, at the age of 75! His newly discovered sister is 76, and loves to quilt, and loves the color purple, so I used lilac, amethyst purple, and grey Czech glass beads, and some hematite stone beads. The charms include a Safety Pin, Button, Needle & Thread, Thimble, Quilt Square, Measuring Tape, Trio of Buttons, Rotary Cutter, I Love Quilting, Sewing Machine, Scissors, Sewing Machine Bobbin, Iron, and Ruler. I used to make so many charm bracelets, but I haven’t made many lately, and this one was such a joy to work on. I loved the cute little sewing charms. (I almost swooned when I found the tiny rotary cutter!) And I have to admit, I’m a sucker for purple too, so I loved the color palette requested.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

:sparkles: :books: :blue_heart: 𝕽𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖈𝖑𝖆𝖜 𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖒𝖔𝖓 𝕽𝖔𝖔𝖒 :blue_heart: :books: :sparkles:

Welcome! The Ravenclaws are working on some tricky little portkey charms. Bookmarks are just tiny portkeys, very useful for finding a place you’ve left (or for sending someone else!).

Conjure a bookmark to create a portkey. It can be any medium and as simple or elaborate as you want.

Portkey bookmarks can also have a charm of their own. Maybe they hide a secret magnet, have a space for taking notes, or they fold and transform into something else.

We’re even sneaking a few (mostly harmless) portkeys into the Muggle world as found art. Leave a bookmark for someone else to find, maybe tucked into a volume at your local library or traded in a book exchange. It could point to a favorite passage or be themed to the book, but sharing art and reading is the goal.

There aren’t any house points awarded for Portkey bookmarks, but there will be a small prize at the end of the term for the ticket pulled from the Goblet of, um Inspir(ation)! (Thank you, @Edel!)

:crystal_ball: Earn 1 ticket for each bookmark
:sparkles: +1 bonus ticket awarded for bookmarks with an extra ability
:sparkles: +1 bonus ticket awarded for bookmarks given away as shared art

5 Likes

:blue_heart: :eagle: :blue_heart: And a great big welcome to our newest staff member, @nettleseed, who will serve as Ravenclaw Head of House! :blue_heart: :eagle: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Awesome AS project, seeuudee! I’ve added it to the project log. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MistressJennie, gorgeous bracelet!
Ravenclaws- I love the portkey idea.

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Annie’s Choice Quilt Block
Brief Description: I have to admit something… I’m not fond of cats. They’re okay. I don’t hate cats. But I don’t particularly like cats. Plus, I’m terribly allergic to them. But one cat I’ve always loved is Crookshanks. So I give you a Crookshaks the Ginger Cat inspired quilt block.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 9
Project Name & Page Link: Pretzel Bites - recipe is here - https://www.justataste.com/easy-homemade-soft-pretzel-bites-recipe
Brief Description: I love to bake and my mind, heart and soul all needed the joy and comfort of baking bread today. I have had pretzels on my to-bake list for some time, and today was the day. I went for bites, so I didn’t have the challenge of shaping on my first attempt. Definitely going to make these again - they are so tasty, and so much easier than I had imagined!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Those look so good!

1 Like

This term seems to be off to a strong start! I even have a few to post- that’s unheard of! :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club: Chapter 9
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: I subscribed to a yarn of the month club and received my first box in January. The yarn comes with a pattern to make something using the amount in the box but I wasn’t feeling the planned project and instead decided to go off in my own direction and make some stuffed hearts instead. This is for one of the hearts.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Brief Description: I subscribed to a yarn of the month club and received my first box in January. The yarn comes with a pattern to make something using the amount in the box but I wasn’t feeling the planned project and instead decided to go off in my own direction and make some stuffed hearts instead. This is for the second of the hearts which has been mailed to a dear friend as a bit of Happy Mail. I went down a needle size and I think I like the shape of this one better. I definitely like that the stuffing isn’t as noticeable and I did a more invisible seam on this one so it is much less Frankensteiny than the first one turned out.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: WiP
Brief Description: These yoga socks were meant to be a birthday gift back in September. I finished the first one and then Christmas Crafting took front and center. I returned to these puppies in January but did not actually finish them until yesterday with the tidying up of some loose stitches and weaving in ends. I am so relieved that they are done, packed up, and ready for the post office!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 9
Project Name & Page Link: Noon and Light Block
Brief Description: I should have spent this afternoon binding a quilt top that I finished quilting yesterday. Instead I made a new block to add to my growing pile. It’s what my heart wanted.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class: Potions
Project Name: Homework Tracker
Project Description: I’ve been watching some neat mixed media YouTubes lately, and I was inspired to overpaint an old homework organiser and collage it up to make a new one. I had a lot of fun painting over the picture of the woman painting! I collaged on the other pages, and then because I didn’t want to cover up my work, I ran an empty laminating pouch through my laminator and cut it into 2 pieces that would fit my layout and clipped them into place. I can use dry or wet erase marker to keep track of my projects now. I also have the class prompts clipped to the rightmost page.
Project Pics:

2 Likes