CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

Love that you made the hummus @MistressJennie!! :green_heart:

Horray!! Your headband came out so awesome @Moonflame!!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: ‘Rail Fence’ Style Clover Block
Brief Description: I was inspired by this Clover Block, but it was too small for the pile of 12" blocks I’m working on, so I decided to play with sizing it up. I started with the plan to use 2.5" strips, since I have so many of them precut already. The entire block takes just 12 2.5"x6.5" green scraps, and 12 2.5" squares of background fabric, and is done with the Snowball Method. Overall it’s very much like a Rail Fence block, but with snowball corners. It fits the prompt because I used seven different fabrics in it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title:
Project Name & Page Link: Lucky Clover Block
Brief Description: I wasn’t thrilled with my clover block above, so I decided to keep playing around with alternate patterns. I found one on McCalls, that required 2 greens. I’ve had the darker green in my stash for ages, and I just don’t like it. I should like it; it’s a deep rich color, has some interesting texture, and is good quality. But somehow every time I try to use it in something, I hate how it looks and take it out. So it’s been lingering in my scrap bins for a decade. I finally found a way to turn this lousy scrap into something great!
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class: History of Magic
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Pleated Doll Skirt
Description: I was asked to make a skirt to fit a larger doll than my usual repertoire, which seemed fine, until I learned that what this person had in mind was a pleated skirt. I’d never done pleats before, so some research was in order. I found the fork method to work pretty well, especially once I broke half the tines off a plastic utensil to accommodate the smaller scale I needed (somewhere between a quarter and half inch). I’m rather pleased with the results.

3 Likes

Hufflepuff is Hosting an Easter Egg Hunt!

Glædelig Paaske, ca 1918 by Nasjonalbiblioteket, on Flickr

All projects turned in between now and April 4 that feature some element of

• eggs
  • chicks and other chickens
  • rabbits
    will be entered into a drawing for a special prize.

Please include the the words Hufflepuff Easter Egg Hunt Entry at the end of your description to make sure I can find your project. A list of participants and their projects will be up in the Hufflepuff Common Room for everyone to admire.

4 Likes

Meant to add an update yesterday of my Ravenclaw cross stitch, but completely forgot :roll_eyes:

Had to frog a little this morning, but back on track now :smiley:

2 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Secret Advanced Studies Project!
Brief Description: I’m starting on a new Advanced Studies project today, and I’m so excited about it! Only problem? It’s a secret from our Advanced Studies Examiner, Ms. Abbeeroad. I’m going to use some _____ _____ & _____ _____ ______ to create the _____ _____ ______ ______. I even spent the morning doing _____ _____ _____ and checking proper ______ ______. So far, it seems like it will work up beautifully. And to keep me honest, I’ve shown the lovely sheepBlue what I’m making, and once it’s done and posted, I’m fairly sure everyone here will feel it qualifies as an AS project, even though it’s currently a secret. But if any of you are curious, feel free to send me a PM, and I’ll share the details. :heart:

5 Likes

Well, obvs we’re curious! Not for accountability’s sake but for suspense reasons! :grinning:

:owl:Sending an owl to say Happy Birthday to @ErinAquaheart today! :snake:

1 Like

Ahhh!!!

1 Like

Alright. I’ve got a big homework dump! Here she goes!

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: Mushroom Watercolor ATC
Brief Description: Incorporating the colors gray and red, inspired by the planet Mars - I sketched out and painted a little mushroom scene for the ATC swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Bright Day Quilt Block #1
Brief Description: This quilt block is the first part of an ongoing quilt-a-long BOM. This component is a
“piece” of a bigger project.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Chapter 11 - The Dueling Club
Project Name & Page Link: Metolius River Watercolor ATC
Brief Description: I’ve been battling the art of watercolor. I’ve been learning from other artists on YouTube but this was the first one I really tackled trying to do traditional-type watercolor on my own! I’m happy to say I think I won this duel.
Project Picture:
Here’s the picture I used as inspiration:

And here’s my rendition of it:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Winter Scene Watercolor ATC
Brief Description: Just like opals, this snow shifts and moves in this lovely winter scene. If you squint carefully you might even see a shining star or two.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention #2 - Stash Busting
Project Name & Page Link: Drawstring Bag
Brief Description: I made this cute, simple drawstring bag for part of a swap completely from stash materials. Also…it was my first drawstring bag ever!! I feel like it was a rite of passage.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention #3 - Stash Busting
Project Name & Page Link: Campfire Pillow
Brief Description: I had made this campfire block a couple weeks ago for a swap then decided to go in a different direction. I figured I’d use it one day for something but the other morning I was playing around in my craft room and decided to make it into a pillow cover for a spare pillow form I had. Everything from stash. :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Quilted Tub
Brief Description: I made this little quilted tub for the Lettuce All Raffle Swap. The theme of this particular swap is “Bright” and I chose my brightest, sunniest fabrics which make me think of that “I Can See Clearly” song…

:musical_note:It’s gonna be a bright (bright) bright, sunshiny day! :musical_note:

(Also…you couldn’t read that without singing it in your head, could you? :wink:)

P.S. You can still join the Lettuce All Raffle Swap!! 11 more days to join! You could be the winner of this faaaaaabulous quilted tub made by yours truly!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Ostara Watercolor ATC
Brief Description: What better way to learn about the spring flowers of Ostara than to study them and other Ostara symbols?! I chose some classic spring flowers to incorporate into this ATC: tulips (up by the hot cross bun), hyacinths (peaking from behind the bunny), and daffodils (growing in front of the birch trees.)

BONUS: This is my Hufflepuff Easter Egg Hunt Entry! It has eggs and a bunny!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: March Lettuce Craft Quilt-Along BOM (Brown Goose Quilt Block)
Brief Description: I’ve been trying my darnedest to really up my game on quilting skills. I’ve been reading tutorials, listening to podcasts, participating in the Quilt-Along…I do think my skills have been getting better! For this particular block I used this tutorial.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Scrap Busting Cards and Envelopes!
Brief Description: I have so many scrappy supplies it’s not even funny. Sure, I could go out and buy cards but why not use :open_hands:the power of thine own hands :open_hands: to create my very own cards and envelopes! Saves gas (no store trip) and puts unused resources to good use instead of them sitting in drawers.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Pokemon ATC’s
Brief Description: To make these ATC’s I mixed up six different colors: three shades of green, two shades of brown, and red. If that’s not enough, they don’t have six legs but the have 6 appendages between the two of them?
Project Picture:

2 Likes

And now that homework’s turned in…I’ll catch up on a couple comments:

@mistressjennie: I’m super curious what you’re making!! I can’t wait to see it. Also, I’m thrilled about all the new Weasley challenges. So fun!

@seeuudee So much progress on your cross stitches! They look so good and I totally want that sparkly aida.

@Trillian An Easter egg hunt is so fun!! I entered. Can we enter more than once? Or just one time?

@AntBee Congrats on finishing your Fair Isle hat!! I’ve loved seeing the progress. It’s such a pretty hat and looks like it was a ton of work

@Abbeeroad I love that “Ovary Up” hoop. So dainty looking yet funny.

1 Like

Officially added to the Advanced Studies Project Log. :kissing_heart:

:heart:

WHEW, It’s been a while since I’ve been on LC. Been busy with adult stuff and just feeling EXHAUSTED.
Starting off this term slow.

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House: Slytherin :snake: :cupcake:
Project Name & Page Link: Best Ever Super Moist Gluten Free Banana Bread
Brief Description: My bananas have been going ripe super fast lately, so it was time for banana bread. I added walnuts to mine along with the called for chocolate chips. Mine are in muffin form for portion control.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted! And a special thanks to @AntBee for brainstorming it with me.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to steal that idea. :joy: my brain seems to think a little loaf is a good enough serving.

2 Likes

Oh, same. I cut pieces waaay to big from a regular loaf.

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Class/Challenge: Destash #1
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Craft Room Curtain
Description: It’s not often that I get to use actual yardage from the stash, but my neighbors’ ever changing collection of backyard debris inspired me to go digging. This fabric originally came from my great-aunt’s stash, and still had its sales tag on it - 2 yards of 36 inch wide fabric for 49 cents each.

4 Likes

@whistlefish Delayed response is delayed, but enter the easter egg hunt as many times as you like! It will only increase your odds.

1 Like