CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

I can’t wait to see your cupcake cardigan!

1 Like

“Lice stitch” just gave me the heebie jeebies.

2 Likes

Yhea, it really needs some rebranding!

4 Likes

I had hoped it was just a weird autocorrect mistake. :joy:

2 Likes

Your proposal has been added to the project log! Happy knitting. :yarn:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Purple Sari Silk Purse Fob
Brief Description: This purse fob uses grey metal charms and findings! Along with purple and pink sari silks, deerskin leather, beads, and a pink druzy stone.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Yellow/Orange
Project Name & Page Link: Pickled Ginger
Brief Description: I’ve been getting boxes from Imperfect Foods, and sometimes what shows up is not exactly what you’re expecting. I ordered what I thought was 1 ginger root. I ended up with 1 pound of pieces of ginger root! Some of the ends were starting to dry out, and I knew I had to use it up, so I made homemade pickled ginger. Specifically a half batch of the recipe linked above. The ginger itself is already a golden yellow, and the addition of the turmeric in the recipe amps up the color even more. I can’t wait to try it out in grain bowls.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Turquoise Sari Silk Purse Fob
Brief Description: This purse fob contains 6 component materials: silk, leather, metal, glass, crystal, and stone.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Peach & Honey Oatmeal Muffins
Brief Description: Imperfect also sent me a ton of small peaches, which were getting softer faster than I could eat them. So time to make muffins! I actually had so many peaches, that I doubled the recipe, and some will go in the freezer. The recipe itself calls for 2T of oats to be sprinkled on top of the muffins. I mixed the oats with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and olive oil, to make a lighter version of a streusel topping. The doubled batch made 21 muffins… We’ve already eaten a few… Hopefully the rest will make it till tea time.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Whilst I fully admit that typos are very much my modus operandi, not this time!

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I love that in a post about how many typos I usually include, I’ve managed to double quote!! :rofl:

2 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

I looove your purse fobs.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Weaving
Brief Description: While working on my main project for the Owl Post Swap, I had the song the Rainbow Connection stuck in my head. So when I finished that, I decided to create a happy little rainbow weaving as an extra for the swap. The wood frame was from a kit from Darn Good Yarn, but I swapped out the yarn that came with the kit, for a more fun rainbow ombre. I also swapped out the crystal they sent, which was smooth polished, and would have fallen right out of the warp threads. After it was done, I decided it could use a little more sparkle, so I added a chunk of rough cut amethyst stone, and a Swarovski crystal heart.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Massachusetts Quilt Block
Brief Description: I had all the fabrics for this Block of the Month for the Quiltalong, right in my stash. I love how dramatic the 2 tone star looks.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Finally getting a chance to post some projects!

Class: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: HST square
Brief Description: As part of the quiltalong, I wanted to play around more with half-square triangles. I cut and sewed a bunch using the magic 8 method and then played around with placement. These little squares are totally modular and can be swapped around until you’re happy with the design!
Project Picture:

Class: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Erin Wedding Stitch
Brief Description: Made for EriChanHime in the little good things swap, I stitched up a little hoop to celebrate her recent wedding. Definitely brought joy and happiness.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Headmistress: May
Project Name & Page Link: Book Lover Embroidery
Brief Description: For the stitchalong theme of a hobby outside of crafting, I chose reading. I’m aiming to read 50 books this year (currently halfway through!). When I saw this pattern from Particular Embroidery on Etsy, I knew I had to stitch it up. Etsy has become a trusted source for embroidery patterns lately. I love stitching up the unique designs I find there!
Project Picture:

Challenge: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Hufflepuff Themed Pillow Cover
Brief Description: I made this for @seeuudee for the Owl Post Swap. I used the Color Jolt Pillow Pattern purchased from Etsy (link above) and the Hufflepuff FQ bundle from AnchorQuilt (also on Etsy). I hadn’t done paper piecing in a while and ran into a few frustrating moments, but was really happy with the final product.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Iron Chef Hogwarts: Yellow/Orange
Project Name & Page Link: Potato and cheese pierogis
Brief Description: I attempted to make pierogis from scratch last night. They were ok. I’m impressed they stayed together, actually, so I’ll take that win. The flavor was ok, but the dough was probably a little thick (it was tough to roll out!) and a little bland. I’m not sure I will go through the effort to make these again vs buying frozen ones in the store, but it was a fun adventure! I used Yukon gold potatoes!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

And I absolutely love the final product :smiley:

1 Like

I have such a backlog of projects to add, so planning on a little at a time!

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Red tulips

Brief Description: Canon have the most amazing printable projects, which is where I found these red tulips. They are slightly fiddly to make up, but I wouldn’t say difficult. I have coated the petals with Mod Podge to give a shine and protect them
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Altered thread spool
Brief Description: This altered thread spool was inspired by one of my favourite spring flowers, the daffodil
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Weaving sample
Brief Description: Made for the mini book swap, this sample of weaving was made on a hand made loom (old cardboard box) and was woven completely by hand
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Lemon Curd and Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

Brief Description: Made for an afternoon tea, I made the lemon curd from scratch and then used the lemon curd in the mini lemon meringue pies. (I have also used the recipe with oranges as well, which tasted amazing, but was runnier!)
Project Picture:

1 Like

It’s time for a nearly the end of term project dump! I finally have my crafty mojo back!!

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Ravenclaw :eagle:
Project Name & Page Link: Aviatrix Medallion Quilt top
Brief Description: I chose to focus on the aspect of Iron for my assignment. The background of this colorful quilt is various shades of grey.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Elemental Miniatures
Brief Description: Each of these miniatures started out as clear plastic. I used translucent paints and inks to give them a see through look.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Dungeons and Dragons Sailing Ship
Brief Description: This ship had brought my D&D players so much joy! They were so surprised when I pulled it out and placed it on the table that they spent about 15 minutes just playing with it and all of its moving parts!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Pyewacket the Imp
Brief Description: I painted a metallic gold imp familiar for my warlock character. The gold paint really shines under lights!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repairo
Project Name & Page Link: Kitchen Drawer Organizer
Brief Description: The large drawer in my kitchen island has been a giant mess, it was just a big open space and didn’t work. Everything was strewn about and getting stuck on each other. I sorted everything by type and size and drew “dividers” into the bottom of the drawer. I then cut pieces of wood and glued and nailed them together. Voila! and organized drawer.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Painting Minis from my stash
Brief Description: Sometimes when I’m bored I pull minis out of my stash and paint. And honestly there are more minis in my stash that need painting, than I have painted minis. Here is a grell (the brain guy), a tiefling character, and an earth elemental.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: A Catio for Cordelia
Brief Description: My cat, Cordelia loves to go outside for walks. But isn’t safe for her to go out off leash so my husband and I decided she needed a catio. This project was interesting… my husband built an entire catio, assuring me he had it under control. Unfortunately when we went to attach it to the house it was so crooked and twisted, I decided to rebuild it. Thanks dad for making me take woodworking in 4-H.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Ombré Lattice Quilt top
Brief Description: This colorful quilt feels like a garden full of wildflowers!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Hogwarts - Orange/Yellow
Project Name & Page Link: The Best Pad Thai
Brief Description: This recipe contains a few orange and yellow ingredients. The palm sugar cakes and egg yolks are yellow, and the preserved reddish is orange (and sriracha is sort of red-orange). If you like pad thai make this recipe, it’s my favorite!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Organizing the Pantry
Brief Description: Since we bought our house 6 years ago we had been using those plastic garage shelves in our laundry room to serve as our dry goods pantry. It was never a good solution; but it was what we had. This spring I decided to make built in shelving. I used Ana White’s pantry shelving tutorial and it was so easy! i love everything being organized now!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: My Illithid Army
Brief Description: For the finale of the last story arc of my D&D campaign my players were going to be facing off against a group of Mind Flayers. Here are the six that I painted for the battle.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Cherry Cola Cake
Brief Description: This year for my birthday I made Christina Tosi’s (of Milk Bar fame) Cherry Cola Cake. It was a fair bit of work and tracking down the cola extract proved difficult; but it was well worth the effort and would be a lovely addition to any tea service.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

In my gigantic project drop, I forgot to include my charms homework. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: A red feathered mini
Brief Description: I chose to focus on the color red for my assignment. I painted this aarakocra miniature for my husband to use in a one-shot game. I tried to create an ombré effect on the feathers going from orange to red to dark red.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Wow, you have been busy! But that first quilt is just mind-blowingly amazing!

I am so in love with both quilts!!! Be sure to show them off in the Quiltalong too! :purple_heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :orange_heart: :heart:

Yay for crafty mojo! What an awesome collection of projects!

Those quilts are absolutely stunning @FiberAlchemist

I love the rainbow weaving @MistressJennie, and the bookworm embroidery is so cute @Abbeeroad

2 Likes