CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

Those quilts are absolutely stunning @FiberAlchemist

I love the rainbow weaving @MistressJennie, and the bookworm embroidery is so cute @Abbeeroad

2 Likes

Challenge: Detention - advanced studies
House: Hufflepuff
Project: birthday cake cardigan beginnings

I’m house sitting for my SiL this week, and so ive spent the weekend taking full advantage of her big ok tv and Netflix subscription! Saturday morning, I cast on my OWL and basically haven’t moved from the sofa since. I’m so happy with how this is coming out - the lice stitch is so much cuter than the name, no??

6 Likes

So cute and I so love this pink, even though I am not generally a pink person

1 Like

Adorable!

1 Like

[ secretly hopes you make it too big and i can volunteer to take it off your hands ]

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club, Ch 17
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: No-Bake Chocolate Chip & Zucchini Breakfast Bars
Brief Description: Summer has officially hit me here in Nashville. I’m trying to walk my dog as soon as I get up, to avoid the worst of the heat and humidity, then go swim to get my workout in for the day right after. Since I need to work in a healthy breakfast somewhere in between all that, I decided to try these no-bake bars to take on the walk with me, rather than do my usual sit-down bowl of steel cut oats. They are utterly delicious, but a bit sticky, and not good for carrying with you. Oh well! Eat one quick, then head out for an adventure it is then. I actually doubled the recipe, and this is 2 layers, of half of the 20 bars. The rest are frozen.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Whomping Willow Wall Decor
Brief Description: Gryffindor house is justly proud of our alumni. Especially Harry Potter and his good friend Ron Weasley. This is my ode to the Whomping Willow, including the flying Ford Anglia, made for momiemae in the Owl Post Swap. The car charm is actually on a magnet, so it can be removed if momiemae wants to hide her geekitude for visitors.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Wow I Love the car charm :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s gorgeous Jennie! So thoughtful to make the car removable

1 Like

@MistressJennie I love, love that hoopla

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge #1
Project Name & Page Link: Grow hoopla
Brief Description: Made for the make a friend swap, this was all made from stash - the felt, the thread, the wires, the embroidery hoop and the sequins.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge #2
Project Name & Page Link: Altered record cards
Brief Description: I have never taken part in a swap using record cards before, I have only ever used them for memory cards for exams!! I had some in my stash and all the elements used to alter them also came from my stash.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge #3
Project Name & Page Link: Recycled beads
Brief Description: These beads were made whilst taking part in a recycle challenge with my Brownie group, meeting via Zoom. I used magazine pages (I have far too many magazines in my stash that need recycling :roll_eyes:) to create both the beads and the paperchain.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - May
Project Name & Page Link: Mini Rainbow Book
Brief Description: This mini book, including a rainbow of colours plus black and white, is mostly paper, with some added elements as decoration
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club, Chapter 17
Project Name & Page Link: Mini watercolour book
Brief Description: Part of the mini book swap included an even mini-er book of watercolour paintings of flowers. Watercolour painting is something I am practicing and getting better at with each attempt. These are my 3 favourites from the book.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Meatballs - French Onion Chicken Meatballs | Girl Gone Gourmet
Brief Description: It would be easy to underestimate this dish, as it looks fairly “beige” but the taste of these meatballs is amazing! Just like it is easy to underestimate us Hufflepuffs :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Mini Book Charm
Brief Description: This mini book charm incorporates the red and gold of our Gryffindor friends.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I love that “Grow” hoop, so pretty!

1 Like

All of your projects are wonderful and full of color and details! I love the mini book.

1 Like

The flower hoop is so cheerful! Beautifully done too. (And obvs the rainbow book caught my eye, love the colours!)

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #1
Project Name & Page Link: Bento Box Blocks for roler
Brief Description: I created 5 Bento Box blocks, all from stash, for roler in the Quilt Block Swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #2
Project Name & Page Link: Log Cabin Blocks for Abbeeroad
Brief Description: I couldn’t decide between two of the blocks on Abbeeroad’s wishlist, so I made a few of each. These Log Cabins are made with scraps of many other quilts, in earth tones.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #3
Project Name & Page Link: Modern Mosaic Blocks for Abbeeroad
Brief Description: This is the other block design I was interested in making a Modern Mosaic. For this one I went with scraps in black, white, grey, and mustard.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Star Blocks for AIMR
Brief Description: My final set of blocks were for AIMR. She’s working on a quilt that will be auctioned for Wouned Warriors. She requested Friendship Stars. It was really easy to make 4 at once using the Easy 8 HST Method. Since they were so fast and simple, I decided to make one more complicated block to go with them; Annie’s Choice.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’ve just caught up on all of your AMAZING projects :smiley: wow!! :star_struck:

There are loads of favourites among them :heart_eyes:

I know I haven’t posted much this term, but I definitely hope to be posting a whole lot more in the next term - I’ve really missed spending time with you all x

…a little side update - I’m currently up to audio book #7 (I don’t know what I’m going to do when it’s finished?!) Probably rewatch all the movies and start the audio books again :stuck_out_tongue: Stephen Fry’s voice has definitely been a regular comfort during the crap that is 'rona. We are currently in our 4th lockdown in Melbourne, Australia :pleading_face: I’m going to use it as a snap-out-of-crafting-rut reset.

3 Likes

Project Dump - most photos are blurred as they have not yet reached their recipients :snail: :mailbox:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: TM Patches for Erichanhime
Brief Description: Erin requested a Japanese theme for her patches and I had the best time making these. Please click on pic for more info, but not if you are Erin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Swap Item for Use What You Have - sadly stuck in postal limbo
Brief Description: I made this lovely item up as I went, and I feel it is pretty entrancing :heartpulse: Check it out by clicking on the pic, but not if you’re my swap partner
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Swap Item for Use What You Have - sadly stuck in postal limbo
Brief Description: I made this cool jewellery set for a swap item, I was inspired by playing around with my newish craft tool. Check it out by clicking on the pic, but not if you’re my swap partner :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Swap Item for Geekgirl
Brief Description: I had fun playing around with one of Geekgirl’s themes for this swap. Please click on the photo to check it out, but not if you’re geekgirl!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Bluey Buntings
Brief Description: I made these buntings to send to my niece and nephew so they could get some happy mail. They are 6 and 4 and they love getting things in the mail. Sadly, when I went over there my SIL hadn’t put them up in their bedrooms, which is a bit of a bummer.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Pusheen Charm
Brief Description: I have never used shrink plastic before and I found a sheet in Daiso, so I played around with it and this Pusheen charm is what I came up with. I love him! And he is currently pinned to my pincushion.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Unicorn Tag
Brief Description: I spent a bunch of time researching on YouTube the different ways to use my Tim Holtz Distress Inks and this is the tag that I came up with :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: 4x6 Art
Brief Description: I made these three pieces of art for the 4x6 art swap.
I masked off the background with skinny washi and then painted the sections in different colours with these fun watercolour/gouche paints I got. Once they had dried I painstakingly cut out the collage pieces with some very sharp scissors and attached them. I definitely did this the muggle way as I ended up with a dent in my thumb from using the small scissors for so long. Once they were attached I used a mixture of paint pens and micron pens to add details and then sealed over the whole piece.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Chapter 17
Project Name & Page Link: Machine Embroidered Apron
Brief Description: I have been using my embroidery machine A LOT lately, and trying out a bunch of new things. This apron was for a friend who loves to cook and hosted a Chilli themed BBQ - he loved it! Which is just the best feeling :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair/Alter
Project Name & Page Link: Fruit Jacket to NASA Jacket
Brief Description: My partner picked up this very warm and effective jacket from the op shop and it had the logo of a Melbourne fruit shop embroidered into the front. He asked me if I could please make a NASA patch to cover it using the ‘worm’ logo of the 70s. I designed the patch on my embroidery software and it came out well the first time. We started to unpick the old logo but it was far too slow going…so we just covered over it! I attached it with double sided applique interfacing. When he was down the street he got asked if he worked for NASA (He wishes :star_struck:) so I count that as a crafty win!
Project Picture: *upside down…

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: quilt blocks
Brief Description: I made these fun blocks for a quilt bee I am a part of using only stash fabric
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Personalised Teacher Stickers
Brief Description: On a whim I wanted to make some personalised teacher stickers, so using some sticker paper from my stash I went ahead and did it! There was a little but of trial and error with the cut settings, and getting my old silhouette to line up properly, but I got there in the end :slight_smile: Now I just need a better printer…
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - May
Project Name & Page Link: Item for use what you have swap
Brief Description: These are really fun to make, and I made a set of them for the Use What You Have Swap - please don’t click on the link if you’re waiting to receive from me :snail: :mailbox:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Gryffindor Bunting
Brief Description: I made this bunting for a friend from my quilting bee who has been having a bit of a rough time.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Swap Item for Lindyv321 - it hasn’t arrived yet
Brief Description: I had such a great time crafting this item for a private swap. I had fun playing with a relatively new craft tool. Please click on the link if you aren’t Lindy :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

1 Like

I had these projects in my homework planner - but it appears I never posted them for the craftalong :woman_shrugging:t2: Here they are :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Special joy bringing cushion for @jemimah
Brief Description: I loved making this cushion, it’s so bright and cheery! The front is a quilted panel of economy blocks :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 Quarantine Quilting Bee Patches
Brief Description: I made these for a Quilting Bee I run. Every round I design a new patch to go with our quilts… you might recognise the design I took inspiration from for this one :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

2 Likes

I’m really spewing I missed out on all of the WWW prompts! They were so fun!!

1 Like

I love all your quilt blocks Jennie, especially the earth tone ones - the amethyst-type jewel colour in the middle makes me think of those geodes that are so bright and shiny in the centre. (Seriously, I think I was a magpie in a former life).
I didn’t realise you guys swapped quilt blocks so that you get a chance to try making different types, that’s smart.

Talking of smart, Princess P, I love the idea of adding a patch to cover over an unwanted logo! So clever!

2 Likes

Couple of last minute project shares!

Class: Astro
Project: square shelves revamp

The previous owners left these square shelves in my house - they had a few chips in them so I guess that’s why. I’ve used left over wall paint to cover the sides with chips and now these 3 will work together to help decorate my spare room

Prompt: book club
House: hufflepuff
Project: basketweave teatowels
I heard an interesting way of thinking about self improvement the other day - basically that while you’re working on the thing you want to improve, you have an inner checklist of things you’re focusing on. Over time, some stuff becomes automatic and you stop checking on it, and you add different items to that checklist instead. But, if you don’t occasionally check back in on the automatic stuff, you might lose it! For me, knitting it’s like that, and knit/purl patterns are something I am always conscious of “losing” because I don’t practice them much (I like how they look but I’m too lazy to do 'em) - making teatowels in unforgiving cotton is one way to keep on that road to continual improvement!

2 Likes

@PrincessP - I love the cushion - so cheerful - and those patches are such a fantastic idea

@Noodle - the shelves are going to look amazing and I completely agree with the ‘use it or lose it’ thinking - I often comment on this when delivering training at work - people often think they can undertake the training and then forget about it until the need arises one day in the future, but if you don’t regularly check back in with the training you did, you do forget it!

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Macrame sample
Brief Description: This macrame sample was made to include in the mini book of crafts. It is both red and round, reminding me of Mars.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Sunflower necklace
Brief Description: This embroidered sunflower was made with woven picot petals around the outside and french knots to create the seeds in the middle.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Butterfly altered matchbox
Brief Description: This altered matchbox hides a secret message on the inside. The challenge was altered matchbox, the theme origami - the leaf, flower and butterfly on the outside are all origami.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: These mini envelopes and vintage valentine cards were made to tuck into the pockets of a valentines pocket letter
Brief Description:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: COMC
Project Name & Page Link: Shine Cross Stitch
Brief Description: This cross stitch was based on various similar embroidered or drawn images found online, but I designed the pattern myself. This was a present for a friend who has just moved into a new flat.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HOM
Project Name & Page Link: Mandrake hoopla
Brief Description: This little guy was made for the Owl Post swap and the new technique was as described by @marionberries in this post - https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/faux-leather-mini-travel-journal/11431 - although I switched ‘gluing to fabric’ to ‘iron on interface’, which was rather time-consuming during the ironing phase - it took some persuasion to get it to stick, but it did eventually :roll_eyes:
The leaves were also a new technique to me, but were not any one source - I had previously watched videos of people using acrylics on fabric, so painted the fabric first. Then the wires were couched on, which is a technique used in stumpwork leaves. I did add a small layer of glue along the back of the stitching, to ensure nothing pulled away.
Project Picture:

2 Likes