CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

I could so do with a slice of that viccy sponge to go with my afternoon tea! Looks lush, and I agree about the pattern on top

Last project of the term…
Class: HoM
House: Hufflepuff
Project: natural dyed yarn
I researched how to dye yarns, which I’ve never done before, specifically using natrual dyes… As a result of my research I asked for a kit for Christmas which I just got around to using (it was sort of a non-starter on a narrow boat because of how much water it uses. Counter-intuitively you have to be really careful about water usage on boats because you aren’t plumbed in!).
The kit came with a lot more detail, as well as a recipe which I followed (well… followed-ish. You know how it is) and I’m super pleased with how this came out.
I used potassium alum as my mordant, and dried pomegranate skins to make the dye.

What do you think I should knit with it? It’s 400m superwash merino, sock weight.

Link to where I got my research material

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Pear Bears
Brief Description: A couple of pear bears that are made by hand, crocheted.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Captain Capacitor
Brief Description: A capacitor in the form of a plushie, gift for my friend who finished his education, related to power.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Homemade bread
Brief Description: My quest for the perfect bread continues with this bread that I made. Its was a good bread, but not the perfect! :sweat_smile:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Statch
Project Name & Page Link: Little pocket fox
Brief Description: I had the yarn and the pattern is free online, and I have been looking at that for a time. And now I have finished him, and gave as an up-lifting gift for my brother who felt down.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

@Noodle - the colour on that yarn is stunning!

@skrutt - all great projects, but those little pear bears :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Hellebore Leaf Socks (ravelry link)
Brief Description: I test knit a new sock pattern (available as of 5/28) for Twinsetand purl. The lace is inspired by Hellebore flowers.
Project Picture:

Ooh boy, it’s been a WHILE. I’ve been super busy with house / yard / impending baby stuff and haven’t been on here in FOREVER.

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Vitamin D cardigan (ravlery link)
Brief Description: It’s very flowy! Made this cardigan in a merino silk blend to be a good layering piece to save me from office air conditioning in the summer months, LOL.
Project Picture:

I’m poooosting!!! … And I’m so sorry I’ve not participated again this term… Stupid work and C-word… :pleading_face:

Project name: Astronomy
House: Slytherin
Brief description:

I crafted a layout from our trip to DisneyWorld (Florida. :wink: )

Project name: Charms
Brief description:

I made a T-shirt for one of the girls’ friends for his birthday. One of his favourite colours is red.

Project name: CoMC
Brief description:

We’ve been going to the Giant Lanterns exhibition at our Zoo for 2 years - we always have a lot of fun and are happy that we’re able to do this.

Making this layout during lockdown situations made me happy just recording the memories.

Project name: DADA
Brief description:

Another T-shirt for another friend… she’s a Hufflepuff, but wanted to have a powder blue T-shirt. I found black as a background too stark, so opted for silver vinyl. And it’s shiney!!

Project name: Herbology
Brief description:

Huffie and Gryffie found some Buttercups on our lawn… they’re nearly the shade of my 4 blanket squares I crocheted…

Project name: Potions
Brief description:

Currently going through my yarn stash and making granny squares.

Project name: SoAR
Brief description:

Having some tea is amazing… it’s my go-to drink, whether hot or cold (lots of cold brewing going on now during the warmer months).
But what’s better than tea is having tea with a piece of cake! We currently love eating Rhubarb cake with a layer of custard… yummm!!

I’ve followed this recipe here - apologies, it’s in German.

Class: Charms
Project: Doll Dress
Description: Cast your minds back, if you will, to Valentines Day, lo these many months ago. I made a couple doll dresses with a fabric that featured tiny red hearts.

Class: DADA
Project: Hot Pink Doll Dress
Description: The fabric for this dress has lots of movement in it between the stripes of varying width and the shiny spots.

Prompt: Detention - Stash #2
Description: Doll dress using a scrap from one of my great aunts’ OG fabric stashes. Just a nice, simple polka dot.

Class: Divination
Project: Cat Doll Dress
Description: Cats! Cats! Millions of Cats! (ok - maybe that’s a slight exaggeration). This dress still needs a sash, but I’m not sure what color to choose.

Class: SoAR
Project: Green Doll Dress
Description: I’m not sure if it’s frogs or toads that have particularly bumpy skin, but either way this fabric reminds me of one of them.

Class: CoMC
Project Name: Picture Board
Description: My great-aunt passed away on Mother’s Day, and I made a picture display for her viewing a few days later. It turned out as well as could be expected using supplies scavenged around her apartment. It was a nice chance to look at older, happier times.

1 Like

Prompt: Detention - Stash#3
Description: Using up the last scraps of a patriotic fabric I’ve had for the past four years.

Sorry to hear of your aunt’s passing @Trillian , that is a really lovely tribute x

@Inselaeffchen Very cool Hufflepuff tee :smiley:

@CraftsUntold I love your socks! They always look so comfy :smiley:

@skrutt Your crochet creatures are adorable…that fox! squeeiii!

@seeuudee That cake looks epic! Did you make that just because, or was there a special event? Your 3D mandrake hoop is brillliant :smiley: It kind of makes me want to grow my collection of magical creatures and have some sort of menagerie! I actually have a knitted mandrake I received from my friend on Craftster, I love it!

3 Likes

@Trillian - I cat dress is particularly cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think a turquoise sash? To match the turquoise cats

The pear bears are super cute too @skrutt - I love their squashy little legs!

@Inselaeffchen, what are you planning for the granny squares?

Colour me impressed @CraftsUntold - two socks? Both of them? Like, a second one? Whoa. I didn’t know people could even do that! (Seriously tho, they look great)

2 Likes

:zap::heart::tada::sparkles::yellow_heart::woman_mage: End of Term Feast :mage::green_heart::sparkles::tada::blue_heart::zap:

Welcome to the End of Term Feast! I have checked the school hour glasses, and the points stand thusly…

hourglasses
:green_heart: Slytherin: 3 students, 700 points , for an average of 233.33 points per student. :green_heart:
:blue_heart: Ravenclaw: 4 students, 980 points , for an average of 245 points per student. :blue_heart:
:yellow_heart: Hufflepuff: 7 students, 1880 points , for an average of 268.57 points per student. :yellow_heart:
:heart: :trophy: Gryffindor: 3 students, 1345 points , for an average of 448.333 points per student. :trophy: :heart:

:lion: Congratulations to Gryffindor House! :lion:

5 Likes

The Midsummer Term is now OPEN!

2 Likes

And Congratulations to @MistressJennie who completed all 4 Iron Chef prompts this term! A sticker will be on it’s way to you shortly! :star_struck: :woman_cook:

6 Likes

I’m so excited! I think this is a perfect excuse to clean up and revamp my favorite recipes binder, so I can decorate it with my new sticker!

5 Likes

Congratulations Gryffindor!!!

1 Like

Well done, Gryffies!

1 Like

Roar :lion: Roar :lion: Gryffindor :heart::yellow_heart:

:hugs:

1 Like

Congrats Gryffindor! :lion:

Everyone has made so many great things this term! :grin:

2 Likes