CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2022

:stop_sign: THIS TERM OF THE HPC IS NOW CLOSED! PLEASE FIND US IN OUR CURRENT TERM.:stop_sign:

~ Harry Potter Craftalong ~
~ February 1 - May 31, 2022 ~

Welcome to Hogwarts!

~ WHAT IS THE HP CRAFTALONG & HOW TO PARTICIPATE ~
The Harry Potter Craftalong (HPC) is a way to share your crafts, cheer on friends, celebrate your love of Harry Potter, and most of all to be inspired . Each term we have class prompts inspired by Hogwarts courses, Detention challenges to motivate you on mundane tasks, & Headmistress Musings inspired by the season. Complete crafts inspired by these prompts, and you earn House Points. While the prompts themselves are HP themed, your crafts do not have to be. You may craft anything you wish. You may join anytime during a term, and participate as much, or as little as you wish. At the end of each term we take an average of each House’s Points, and declare a winner!

To participate, simply read through the prompts in the post below, find one that inspires you, create a craft to fit the challenge, then post it here. That’s all there is to it!

~ HOW TO POST ~
To submit a project, cut & paste the following header into your post, and fill in the required info. You can add more than one project to your post.

Class or Challenge Title:
SPEW or LC Contest: If your item is for charity, or was created as an entry to a contest here on LC, enter that here; if not please delete this line.
House:
Project Name & Page Link: Add a link to your project posted here on Lettuce Craft, or to a recipe, pattern, etc.
Brief Description: How it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.
Project Picture: REQUIRED! No picture = No House Points

~ ABOUT ELIGIBLE HPC PROJECTS ~
-Projects should take a minimum of 30 minutes to make.
-For a project to be counted, it must have a picture or a link to a picture included at the time of posting . If your item is a private piece, or is being kept secret for a Swap, you are more than welcome to send a Private Message directly to the the Headmistress.
-For any cooking/food project, in addition to a photo, you must post a complete recipe , or a link to the recipe you used. No recipe = no points.

~ HPC FAQs ~
-Do you sort me? No, you decide which house you belong to.
-I have a problem or question; who can I ask? You can send a Personal Message (PM) to Headmistress @MistressJennie . You can also ask questions in the thread.
-Do I have to craft all the classes & challenges? Nope! Just do what you want to craft.
-Does my craft project have to be Harry Potter themed? No, craft anything you like.
-This is a lot of info. How do I keep myself organized? Feel free to use Hermione’s Homework Planner , a Google Doc created & updated by MistressJennie. Claim a sheet of the Homework Planner at the bottom of the page, and rename it with your username. Please DO NOT alter the Master Sheet at the far left.

:stop_sign: THIS TERM OF THE HPC IS NOW CLOSED! PLEASE FIND US IN OUR CURRENT TERM.:stop_sign:

3 Likes

~ Craft Prompts Crescent ~
:steam_locomotive::sparkles::scroll: ~Class Prompts~ :scroll::sparkles::steam_locomotive:
:alembic: Alchemy: We have now completed the planets so we are moving on to the philosophical traditions of Alchemy. The three major strands were Chinese Alchemy, Indian Alchemy and Western Alchemy. We are going to concentrate on the Western strand. The start of Western alchemy may be traced to ancient and Hellenistic Egypt, where the city of Alexandria was a center of alchemical knowledge. Create something with a triangle, in any form, in its creation or related to books, to reflect the Library of Alexandria.

:mage: Apparition: The goal in Apparition class is to apparate into a hoop. Please craft with a hoop, a circle or any round object.

:infinity: Arithmancy: Arithmancy calls for using a “rigorous mathmatical approach” to divination. Using your highest logic and math skills create a project from spark of an idea to finished object- no patterns or directions from others. Show your work.

:ringer_planet: Astronomy: Ever wondered how stars are formed? Apparently they form “from the inside out” - as per the mathematician and astronomer Frank Shu. For this term I would like you to create something “From the inside out” - this does not have to be in 3D.

:unicorn: : Care of Magical Creatures: We are studying of Dragons! This term we focus on the Antipodean Opaleye. This species of dragon is native to the valleys of New Zealand with pearly scales and multicolored, pupiless eyes. To celebrate this dragon, craft something that you can link to the legend of the Lord of the Rings in some way or that has a pearly element, be this using pearly beads or paints in your project.

:sparkles: Charms: The Mending Charm, also known as the Repairing Charm (Reparo) is a charm that can be used to seamlessly repair a broken object. For this class, look around and see if there is something that needs repair, it could be clothing, furniture etc. For extra credit, make the repair beautiful and visible, perhaps with embroidery, or slow stitching or a painted addition.

:blue_heart: Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA): The Sea Urchin Jinx is a jinx that transfigures the target victim into something similar to a sea urchin, with tiny spikes erupting all over the victim’s body. It is very painful. Create something that involves spikes. This could be spikes in the finished object, or it could use spikes in the creation of your piece.

:crystal_ball: Divination: This term we will be focusing our inner eyes with the study of palmistry. The study of reading and interpreting the lines on palms has been practiced all around the world for thousands of years. To demonstrate your mastery of this subject matter please produce a craft for or relating to hands like gloves or a ring, something comprised of fine lines, or something composed of five components.

:broom: Flying: Few things in life are as thrilling as the first successful flight on a broomstick. For this prompt submit something that gave you that thrilling feeling of achievement.

:herb: Herbology: Red clover is a woman-friendly herb used to treat hot flashes, night sweats and skin irritations; promote bone density; and improve good cholesterol. For this class craft something good for your skin, something red or including red, or something that makes your heart happy.

:blue_book: History of Magic (HoM): We are studying ancient Trojan divinator Cassandra, who tried to warn the Muggles around her but was never believed. To understand her plight, please share a project which has gone through a period of disbelief; a time when you did not believe you would ever finish, a time when you did not believe it would turn out well, or a time when you did not believe you would have sufficient supplies!

:walking_man: Muggle Studies: Rather than owls, Muggles use little devices called cell phones to communicate with each other. For this class, use a cell phone in some way to assist you, or craft something for a cell phone. Examples include using a picture on a phone for a drawing or painting reference, watching a tutorial, weighing down a pattern piece, or crafting a cell phone charm or case.

:test_tube: Potions: With the busy time of Yule and the things going on in the Muggle World, I thought we should try to learn to make the “Draught of Peace”. For this term I would like you to create something that will help you (or the recipient of your craft) to relax or even will help you to go to sleep.

:scroll: Study of Ancient Runes For Ostara term, we ponder on the rune Uruz, whose most common meaning is water. Please craft something which shimmers, glints or glistens like the surface of the great lake on a breezy spring day.

:mouse2: Transfiguration: Transfiguration is the altering of something at a molecular level to change it into a different form or appearance. If the caster is not precise enough, serious, even deadly, consequences can result. This term delve deeper into the scientific aspect by creating a chemical change in your crafted item. Some examples are: woodburning, soap, baking, cooking, pottery, etc. Alternately create something that celebrates science.

:shield: House Pride Challenge: Please craft something by your chosen Hogwarts House.
:european_castle: House Unity Challenge: Please craft something inspired by another Hogwarts House, or by all of the Houses/School combined.

:alembic::test_tube: ~ Detention Challenges ~ :test_tube::alembic:
:open_book: Advanced Studies Challenge: Put in 2 hours on an ongoing Advanced Studies project, and be prepared to show before & after progress shots.
:thread: Reparo Challenge: Repair something, alter something to suit you, or complete a large organization project.
:basket: Stash Challenge: Craft something solely from your stash.
:yarn: WIP Challenge: Complete a Work In Progress.

:sparkles::woman_mage: ~ Headmistress Prompts ~ :woman_mage::sparkles:
:bouquet: :family_woman_girl_boy: :taco: May - Of Flowers & Tacos Challenge :taco: :family_woman_girl_boy: :bouquet:
After the April Showers of last month, hopefully you are seeing more signs of growth with May’s flowers beginning to bloom. Craft something inspired by flowers, or something for you mom for Mother’s Day. Alternately you can celebrate Cinco de Mayo anytime this month, by making some truly epic tacos!

:earth_americas: Iron Chef Around the World Challenge! :earth_africa:
This term we’ll take our taste buds on a trip! A random country will be selected each month to serve as inspiration for new recipes, dishes, and ideas. Whether you fun inspiration in a whole dish or a single ingredient, I hope you’ll join me on this tour of flavor. Complete all 4 challenges for a sticker surprise!

April :sweden: Sweden - Maybe you’d like some Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam, raggmunk, or traditional glogg.

:zap::heart::books: ~ Hermione’s Book Club ~ :books::heart::zap:
:deer: Chapter 18: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs May 1-30
The Trio refuse to believe Pettigrew is alive, saying he was murdered by Black. Black denies it, and Lupin convinces Black to tell Harry the truth. Lupin reveals he was bitten by a werewolf as a child; Dumbledore allowed him to attend Hogwarts with special precautions, including using the Shrieking Shack to hide Lupin when he transformed, and planting the Whomping Willow to guard the entrance. Eventually Lupin’s friends Peter, Sirius and James discovered the secret and became Animagi to keep him company; Peter a rat, Sirius the dog, and James the stag. He also admits that Snape’s animosity towards them all, resulted from Sirius playing a deadly trick on Snape, where he could have been killed by Lupin in werewolf form, but that James saved him. Just then, Prof Snape arrives having used the invisibility cloak to enter the Shack.

Refuse to believe something is impossible, and craft it yourself! Or craft something for a dear friend.

:mortar_board:~ Advanced Studies ~:mortar_board:

What are Advanced Studies?

• Advanced Studies are more complex and challenging than typical crafting projects. They can be in any category or genre that you wish
  • You are to choose the course of study you wish to take in a particular subject. Research your desired subject, find a facet of that subject that you wish focus your advanced studies. Form a plan of action, and make your proposal. The possibilities are endless!

:hourglass_flowing_sand:How long should Advanced Studies take?:hourglass_flowing_sand:

• Advanced Studies are more time-consuming than regular HPC classes and challenges. There is no hard and fast rule on how many hours a project should take, because speed and difficulty levels are too subjective. What we are really looking for is a project that will be a personal challenge to you. That being said…
  • Advanced Studies should generally take 3-4 weeks to complete

:memo:Proposing Advanced Studies:memo:

• You must propose your Advanced Studies before starting so that we may be your cheerleaders and help encourage you during this more challenging craft adventure
  • When you have settled on a challenging project that will take the required amount of time that you would like to propose, post in the HPC thread using the following header:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name:
House:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

• Your proposed project will be added to the ongoing list of proposed Advanced Studies projects by the Advanced Studies Examiner, @Abbeeroad
  • Please note, you may only work on up to 2 Advanced Studies project at a time. Please do not propose new Advanced Studies until your current ones are complete
  • You may propose an Advanced Studies project at any time during the semester
  • Advanced Studies can carry over to the next semester
  • If you decide to abandon and Advanced Studies project, notify your Advanced Studies Examiner, @Abbeeroad, and the log will be erased from the record. Once you have submitted to have an old Advanced Studies project erased, you can propose a new one
  • Please note, after 3 years, old Advanced Studies project will be removed from the log automatically unless an extension is requested by an active HPC member

:mortar_board:Completing Advanced Studies:mortar_board:

• Once you propose, you may start your Advanced Studies project right away! You do not need to wait for approval to begin crafting
  • Feel free to add progress pics in the HPC thread. Advanced Studies Fridays is a great time to share!
  • Once your project is complete, post a picture of your project in the HPC using the header provided below

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House:
Project Name:
Project Page Link: (if available)
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:

Each completed Advanced Studies project you post will earn your House 100 points!

~ ADVANCED STUDIES LOG ~

Proposals

:lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Abbeeroad: Everyday Raglan, April 20, 2022
jenleahlynn: Charms, Revelio, September 24, 2019
PrincessP: Crochet Sampler Wall Hanging, September 18, 2020
RubeusUmbrella: Blanket of Calm, June 9, 2020

:badger: Hufflepuff :badger:
beholder_folklore: Cross Stitch Portrait, October 1, 2020
fishstix43: Successful work pants, August 26, 2019
GMPNQ: Dragon skin bag, February 24, 2020
GMPNQ: Victorian shawl, March 31, 2020
jillybeans: Castle Cross Stitch, April 2, 2020
madcrafter: Charms, February 22, 2019
Moonflame: Muggle Studies, Feb 10, 2018 (reinstated January 14, 2022)
Moonflame: Hufflepuff Mittens, July 5, 2021
Noodle: Brioche Shawl/blanket, October 23, 2021
Noodle: Turquoise Cardi, April 16, 2022
plaidpineapple: Wool Coat, February 21, 2022
plaidpineapple: Irish Chain Quilt, March 27, 2022
seeuudee: Memory Teddies, June 21, 2021
skrutt: Wall-hanging with melpasöm, September 11, 2021
Teachergirl: Project of Doom Quilt sections, August 26, 2021
Trillian: Monster Quilt, June 10, 2020
Trillian: Yellow Gradient Socks, June 25, 2020

:eagle: Ravenclaw :eagle:
Audania1: Annie’s Afghan Sampler, June 19, 2020
Edel: Early 16th Century Venetian Outfit, February 22, 2022
jellybean: Arithmancy, February 7, 2019
jellybean: Sophie’s Universe Blanket, August 19, 2020
Whistlefish: Every Season Stitch-A-Long by Tiny Modernist, February 22, 2020

:snake: Slytherin :snake:
AntBee: Flag Bunting for Party or Bedroom, July 1, 2021
AntBee: Christmas Countdown Garland, July 2, 2021
CraftsUntold: Quilted Autumn Coffee Table Topper, October 11, 2020
CraftsUntold: Ouzo Cardigan: April 23, 2022
imera: Pom pom chair, August 11, 2020
imera: Case of Happiness, February 2, 2022
Inselaeffchen: Nerdy Cross Stitch SAL, January 31, 2021
Inselaeffchen: Letters from Hogwarts SYOA, February 2, 2020
melg78: Yellow Gingham Blanket, May 29, 2022
tendstowardschaos: Stash Busting Quilt, January 17, 2022
tendstowardschaos: Knitted Doctor Who Scarf, May 29, 2022

:tada:Completed:tada:
:eagle: Edel: Illuminated Manuscript, February 5, 2022
:badger: Plaidpineapple: Collared Button up Gauze Blouse, February 13, 2022
:snake: tendstowardschaos: Fifteen Stars Quilt, April 18, 2022

1 Like

~ House Points ~

:lion: :heart: Gryffindor :heart: :lion:
Abbeeroad Alchemy, Divination, HEAD-April, Herbology, Transfiguration,
Mistress Jennie Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Book Club Ch 15, Book Club Ch 16, Book Club Ch 18, CoMC, Charms, DADA, DET-Reparo, DET-WIP, DET-Stash, Divination, Flying, HEAD-February, HEAD-March, HEAD-April, HEAD-May, HoM, House Pride, Herbology, House Unity, Iron Chef Brazil, MS, Potions,

:badger: :yellow_heart: Hufflepuff :yellow_heart: :badger:
jillybeans Alchemy, Apparition, Book Club Ch 15, DET-WIP, Divination, Flying, HEAD-April, Herbology, HoM, MS, SoAR, Transfiguration,
Noodle Alchemy, Apparition, Astronomy, Book Club Ch 17, DADA, DET-Repairo, DET-WIP, Divination, Flying, HEAD-February, HEAD-April, Herbology, HoM, Potions,
Moonflame MS,
plaidpineapple Alchemy, Arithmancy, DET-Advanced Studies, DET-Stash, DET-Repairo, HEAD-February, Herbology, HoM, Potions,
seeuudee Apparition, Arithmancy, DET-Stash, DET-Ad Studies, Divination, Herbology, House Unity,
skrutt Alchemy, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Flying, DET-Stash, HEAD-February, MS, Transfiguration
Trillian

:eagle: :blue_heart: Ravenclaw :blue_heart: :eagle:
Edel
ellephabetsoup
FiberAlchemist Apparition, Divination, Herbology, HoM, Potions,
jellybean

:snake: :green_heart: Slytherin :green_heart: :snake:
AntBee Apparition, Book Club Ch 16, Charms, DET-Reparo, Divination, MS,
CraftsUntold Apparition, Arithmancy, Flying, Headmistress-May, HoM, House Unity, MS, Transfiguration,
imera
melg78 HEAD-February, Flying, House Pride, MS, Potions, SoAR,
tendstowardschaos Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Book Club Ch 18, CoMC, Charms, DET-WIP, DET-Advanced Studies, DET-Stash, DET-Reparo, Divination, Flying, HEAD-February, HEAD-March, HEAD-April, Herbology, HoM, House Pride+LC Challenge, House Unity, MS, Potions, SoAR, Transfiguration,

~ Point Totals ~
:lion: Gryffindor: 2 students, 450 points, for an average of 225 points per student.
:badger: Hufflepuff: 6 students, 865 points, for an average of 144.16 points per student.
:eagle: Ravenclaw: 2 students, 175 points, for an average of 87.5 points per student.
:snake: Slytherin: 4 students, 770 points, for an average of 192.5 points per student.

For reference…
:sparkles: :scroll: :european_castle: Alphabetical Prompts List :european_castle: :scroll: :sparkles:

Summary

Alchemy
Apparition
Arithmancy
Astronomy
Book Club - changes every 2 weeks
Care of Magical Creatures
Charms
Defense Against the Dark Arts
DETENTION

• Advance Studies
  • Repair/Alter
  • Stash
  • WIP

Divination
Expecto Patronum - Masks
Headmistress - changes monthly
Herbology
History of Magic
Holiday - changes monthly
House Pride
House Unity
Iron Chef - changes monthly
Muggle Studies
Potions
Quidditch
SoAR
SPEW - that don’t fit into other categories
Transfiguration

This term of the HPC is now OPEN! I can’t wait to see what you all create this term. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart:

5 Likes

Hey, ya’ll! I missed you guys! Going to try to be more involved again now that life has calmed down a bit. To celebrate, I decided to try something new that I’ve been wanting to try for awhile now.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: I took the plunge and bought some faux leather sheets and some bow patterns off etsy. My cricut cut them out and I essembled. I am SO excited about how they turned out and I see a great future full of hair bows for all the little girls in my life (in which there are quite a few!). My youngest is all about accessories, so she was me inspiration. Here is my first set!
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Yay, good to see you! Your bows came out so great. Just like several I’ve purchased recently for my accessory-loving girls! I had no idea you could make your own with the Cricut.

2 Likes

Those are adorable!

:earth_americas: Iron Chef Around the World Challenge :earth_americas:

We’ll continue our tour of the world for Iron Chef this term. Our first stop is…

February :brazil: Brazil - Try out some coxinhas, a frozen caipirinha, or Brazilian chocolate truffles.

As always, there is a sticker surprise for any HPCer who completes all 4 challenges this term!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Fifteen Stars Quilt
Brief Description: I made some decent progress by sewing, cutting, pressing, and trimming 78 HST squares. This quilt seems to be flying by. Big difference between following a pattern and just making it up as you go.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Great progress!

1 Like

**Class or Challenge Title:**Detention-stash
Project Name & Page Link: Zipper pouch
Brief Description: Made a zipper pouch from some stash material.

6 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Birthday gift for my best friend, the case of happiness
House: Slytherin
Brief Description: Because I convinced my friend to join I won’t give away too much information, in case she reads this :stuck_out_tongue: I’m making her a birthday gift which originally I thought would maybe take a few hours tops, but when going to look for the right case I found something way WAY better. So now for my AS I’m going to transform an old dusty and icky case into a magical case that will hold what I can only describe as happiness.

2 Likes

Intriguing! Can’t wait to see it finished. I’ve added it to the log!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Cleaning the Star Quilt
Brief Description: Early on in the pandemic, the lovely Edel & I swapped quilt tops. Last year I quilted it up, and afterwards, decided to wash it so it would have that softened, crinkled quilt quality about it. Sadly, a few of the bright pink squares bled color ALL OVER the quilt front, and even the backing. I wasn’t sure how to repair the damage, so it got put aside for a while. But now I want to hang it in the nursery, so I needed to see what I could do to fix it. I used this technique, with the Dawn dish soap in my bathtub, soaked for 3-4 hours, then washed it with a few Shout Color Catchers and it came out good as new.
Project Picture:

The magenta paisley fabric, which is repeated a few times in the quilt, bled heavily, especially on these 3 pink & white blocks, which had become solid pink, making it much harder to see the star pattern. Now they’re nice and white again!

Even the white backing is free of the hot pink spots that covered it before. Now I just need to add some corner pockets and hang it up this afternoon.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - February
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Spiced Pear & Pecan Oatmeal Muffins
Brief Description: Today is a Snow Day Ice Day. It rained yesterday, then dropped below freezing overnight, and now everything is covered with ice, and there are a lot of accidents in town. (The South doesn’t really salt & sand roads, or even own the trucks to do so, and so it’s worse down here, than a snowy morning in the North.) Jim is working from home, which I know he doesn’t like, but I secretly love it. I like the feeling of someone else being in the house, and I love knowing my family is all safe and sound. But it is cold and gross outside, so on these kinda days, I love to make something warm and comforting.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Great job on fixing the bleeding! Gorgeous quilt.

Kicking of the term with a simple lil repair job

Challenge: Detention Reparo
Project: waistcoat repair
My friend’s waistcoat cinch broke at my house - the fabric was all torn apart. I would have liked to patch it and do visible mending (esp given the state of the fabric) but that’s not at all my friend’s vibe so I just did the neatest job I could -

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Triangle Hanging Pockets
Brief Description: I hand stitched triangular pockets onto the back of the Star quilt, so we could hang it in the nursery. I used the yard stick + Command Strips hanging trick.
Project Picture

And here it is over the dresser.

10 Likes

Oh no,I can’t believe that the colour ran so much. But in so glad that you were able to save it. It looks fabulous in the nursery. Only 9 weeks to go, I’m beyond thrilled for you guys :heart:

Advanced studies-finished.
House -ravenclaw.
Project, illuminated manuscript. It is finally done, it took about two months on and off. So glad to get it finished!!

It has its own thread here Illuminated manuscript. Aka the most insane project

9 Likes

Wow, that’s stunning @Edel

Class: Appirition
Project: frame backs

I have many picture frames which, now that my hall is painted, I want to hang. But they are mostly standing type frames, without hanging fixing… so I’ve pried off the stands & existing hardware and replaced them with circle hangers. I did 7 frames

The big problem I now face is that I don’t know how to get up to the wall I want to hang them on! It’s this wall above my stairs, I want to cover the whole thing including the very top… I could paint it with a long handled roller (the edges up there are… urm… messy! I was glad I was just dying white on white!) but I don’t know how to get up there to measure out & put nails in the wall. Any suggestions?

1 Like