CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2022

@MistressJennie - you have been so busy stocking your freezer - and fantastic tip on freezing flat and standing upright! I have always used freezer boxes, which take up so much space :roll_eyes:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Post with more details and link to the printables
Brief Description: The petals of the anemone are worked round the centre stamens
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Brief Description: The carnations have to be worked from the centre out, adding the petals as you go
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge
Brief Description:
Project Picture: The vase made to hold all of the flowers was created entirely from stash materials

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Brief Description: These leaves have fine lines printed into the design, to create a more realistic finish
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Brief Description: These tulips are a gorgeous red
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity Challenge
Brief Description: These green leaves inspire thoughts Slytherin friends
Project Picture:

8 Likes

That is a seriously gorgeous bouquet of flowers. :astonished: They do not look like paper.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: 70’s Spiral & Star Dishcloths
Brief Description: I started this set 2 weeks ago during out last set of storms, but didn’t quite finish either of them. Possibly because I don’t love the color of the yarns. I ordered them online, and the picture showed them as darker in color, less washed out. Let’s just say, they didn’t scream ‘1970’s’ from their picture, but they certainly do in real life. Each was made based on how much of each color yarn I had left.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Purple & Light Blue Spiral Dishcloths
Brief Description: As I’ve been stash busting dishcloths for friends and my gift stash, I realized I could really use a few new ones in my own rotation, as some of mine have developed holes (after 8 years of use!). So these ones are for me. Insomnia had me awake at 3:00, so after cleaning the kitchen, I made these.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Padscicles
Brief Description: This might be the weirdest craft project I’ve ever made. They are intended to help heal & repair your lady parts after giving birth. Basically they are pads, coated in aloe vera, witch hazel & a few drops of essential oil, then placed in the freezer. Frida mom makes some that cost $20 for 8 pads. I made 20 pads for about $13. (I was out of aloe vera, and my witch hazel had expired. LOL) Plus I now have plenty of aloe & witch hazel to make more if needed.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 16
Project Name & Page Link: Beef Stew Freezer Meals
Brief Description: My ongoing quest to fill the freezer with homemade meals for after Godzilla arrives continues with Crockpot Beef Stew. My exact recipe varies a bit each time I make it, based on what I have on hand, but it’s pretty close to this. This time I added a giant parsnip that was hanging around, and replaced the vegetable juice with tomato paste and a dash of Kitchen Bouquet. I topped it with chopped celery leaves. The recipe made dinner on Saturday, and 2 more meals to add to the freezer stash. That leaves me with 34+ frozen dinners, since the lemon chicken soup & chicken satay meals both make enough for at least 2 meals.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Plum Baby Hat & Mitts
Brief Description: I was thrilled to be able to finish an extra random baby project, with the baby nearly here, and while holding a crazy dog. I can’t believe I managed to put these together in one morning of thunderstorms.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - April
Project Name & Page Link: Ombre Rainbow Stars Baby Quilt
Brief Description: This project is both full of joy, AND all the colors of the rainbow.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Family of Dragon Pillows
Brief Description: Dragons Harry! The first Task is dragons! How could a dragon themed project be any other subject than Gryffindor House Pride? I made the first family of dragons for the baby, who will arrive this week. I actually bought 2 panels of pillows though, so I could mix & match, so while I was at it, I made a second set, that I have no idea what to do with. I’m going to blame baby brain. Or hormones. Or nesting instincts… Yeah, nesting instincts, that fits. LOL
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Wow, such lovely baby items. I am in LOVE with the quilt-gorgeous!

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Irish Chain Quilt, freemotioning intense
Brief Description: I made some irish chain blocks and laid it out. After laying it out I figured out 2 things: I LOVE to look at really colorful quilts online. However, I don’t find them relaxing in person. I laid out 2 designs and ended up going with the white main blocks. I also decided I want to make it Queen size for my bed. On top of that I finally broke down and bought a sewing machine that has a large throat to be able to manage the quilting on it without going insane. In the past I have only really quilted with meandering. I want to learn Lots of freemotion quilting. So, my project is to freemotion quilt each block in a different design. I am hoping to complete 2 blocks a day, while watching lots of videos and learning different methods. The quilt will end up with at least 64 blocks.
Here are pics of my 2 starting layouts:

7 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

:tada::tada: Announcement :tada::tada:

There is a new sitewide craft challenge contest. If you have made something inspired by this(or any other) craftalong, then this challenge is for you.
Inspired-along 2022 lettuce craft challenge

Good luck with your freemotion quilting journey! I have tried my hand at it multiple times, but haven’t gotten the hang of it yet. I’m sure you’ll be more successful! Your proposal has been added to the project log!

1 Like

OMG @MistressJennie !!Best wishes on the birth!! Sending many vibes for a short and easy labor!!

2 Likes

Hi All - I just wanted to pop in and let you all know that our wonderful @MistressJennie has successfully delivered her daughter! Mom is a rockstar and baby is beautiful! I will let Jennie give you all the glowing details when she is ready. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

I can’t believe it’s April already! Spring is in the air and the next Iron Chef Around the World Challenge is taking us to…

:sweden: Sweden - Maybe you’d like some Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam, raggmunk, or traditional glogg.

4 Likes

And just a friendly reminder…

Headmistress Challenge
April - Showers to Rainbows
After April showers, we often get to see a wonder of the natural world, a rainbow! For this challenge please craft something full of color and joy, something that contains all the colors of the rainbow, or something that reveals all the colors of the visible spectrum like a prism or sun catcher.

Book Club Prompt
Chapter 17: Cat, Rat and Dog April 1-30
Create something for an animal or many animals in your life, like a new placemat for under your dog’s bowl, a catio for your feline friend, or a birdfeeder for your local flock. Alternately you may create something inspired by a map, or a place you can find on a map.

6 Likes

Congratulations, @MistressJennie !!! Have a wonderful Babymoon!! :cupid: :cupid: :cupid:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Mended Sweatpants
Brief Description: Since there is no way to really hide the immense damage my DS2 inflicts on the knees of his pants, I figured I could at least make the mend pretty. He likes the embellishment and I did my best to minimize knots, leaving the pants almost as comfortable as they were originally.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Magic Mandalorian Pillow Cases
Brief Description: I pulled up the tutorial for these pillow cases on my phone to reference as I worked. They are so wonderfully simple, though, and the results are always so cute. The Child and Mando don’t hurt, either.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Cardinal Bracken Cardigan
Brief Description: My DS1 requested his birthday sweater be this gorgeous Gryffindor (cardinal) red.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Another Sweatpants Mend
Brief Description: A little boy can’t be running around in holey pants for long - a little hole soon becomes an unmendable one once he accidentally sticks his foot through it. One pair of torn pants has served to patch four others, this being one of them.
Project Picture:

And, a day late, here is the progress of my Advanced Studies (QOV). The back of the quilt just needs a narrow border before I can make the quilt sandwich!

3 Likes

Agh! I stopped getting notifications and missed so much. Congratulations @MistressJennie on the birth of baby Godzilla!! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Soooooo much love to mumma and bubba (and poppa, and pupper) :blue_heart::purple_heart::heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart:

Easter break project dump incoming!

Class: Astronomy
Project: green soaker
I made some soakers to go under my houseplant pots, to soak up any extra liquid when I water them. I used doily patterns, knitted in cotton. This one was knit in the round from the middle - from the inside, out!

Class: DADA
Project: blue soaker
The picot edges are kinda spiky, no??

Class: Divination
Project: pleisosaur puppet
I drew out these - using a mix of bold and fine lines - onto cardboard and put them onto cane to use as stick puppets in a recent assembly with my class (about Mary Anning)

Class: Flying
Project: knitting gear collect and tidy up
SPEW: St Christopher’s Hospices
So, I went through my house with a fine tooth comb collecting up all my knitting stuff - DPNs, row counters… from all sorts of places (in the bottom of my laundry basket, inside a box of teabags…). I organised them all, including sorting all my stitch markers (hundreds, I reckon) back into their boxes! No before pic as stuff was literally everywhere and I couldnt find anything!! In the process I also organised a big box of equiptment to go to the Hospice shop (I’ll add some yarn too) to raise money - I’m not sure if this counts as SPEW or not so up to the Hogwarts leaders!

Class: HoM
Project: ichthyosaur
The puppets are each about a meter long, and I drew them in front of my class - i did the ichthyosaur first and when i first started, they DEFINITLY didn’t believe that I’d be able to do it😄

6 Likes