CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2019/20

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s Tree - Candles
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: That 70s Itty Bitty Boxy Pouch
Brief Description: Actually, I’m not really sure whether Aunt Gloria originally stashed this fabric in the 60s or in the 70s, but it’s certainly got the “harvest gold” glow of the era. My childhood kitchen called, it would like its curtains back.

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: LGT Swap Boxy Pouch
Brief Description: I have had the No-Guts Boxie Pouch pattern pinned on my “someday” craft board for years, and for some reason decided the recent Little Good Things swap was the time to finally make it. The instructions were pretty clear, but I found the whole process fiddly. It definitely helped me wrap my head around how these sort of bags/pouches are made, though. I found that in the end I don’t mind having the boxed corners of a bag in its interior - they add a little more stability and can be tacked down if you feel they get in the way.

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Tree Skirt
Project Name & Page Link: Heart Latch Hook Rug
Brief Description: This rug is definitely all about welcoming people into our house, and I am so thankful it is done! It was probably close to a 5 year WIP, when all was said and done.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Are you kidding me? That rug is amazing, @fishstix43!!

2 Likes

OMG @fishstix43, that’s awesome!

1 Like

@fishstix43 That rug is awesome! I wouldn’t even want to put it on the floor, just hang it on the wall to admire!

1 Like

@fishstix43 you let people walk on that!?
It’s too beautiful, tell me it’s on the wall even if you have to lie to me. Lol

1 Like

I’ve completed so many projects and thinking it’s finally time to post them, seeing as we got extra time I didn’t stress it too much.

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Santa’s office in a matchbox
Brief Description: This is something small :smiley: Really REALLY small
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Croutons
Brief Description: The prompt is to use knives, and I certainly used knives for this! I bought this really nice fresh bread, which I forgot all about XD and because I didn’t want to throw it I decided to make croutons. I used melted butter on all because I didn’t have any oil, on half of it I used garlic powder, and on the other I added parmesan and a little pepper. I then stuck them in the oven until they were golden and dry. I guess they both look the same, but they do taste different :stuck_out_tongue:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge; Hogwarts Castle
Project Name & Page Link: Miniature Hogwarts house point counter
Brief Description: The challenge is is to show the love of Hogwarts, and our crafting community.
Before the challenge was released I had planned to post this for the house unity challenge, but this challenge was perfect for the craft. This project is the perfect item that shows my love for the people in this forum, and to shows just how much I love this craftalong, it has really pushed me to focus on creating, which is what makes me the most happy (besides my son).
The people here are the one thing I missed the most while my crafting was at an all time low, and I’m determined not to let go of it again.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Hogwarts December: Bay leaf
Project Name & Page Link: Potato leek soup with sausages
Brief Description: The recipe: Potato leek soup. Funny thing, when I looked for a recipe of potato leek soup I found a lot of recipes that asks for like one potato and four leeks, or something like that, so I was happy when I finally found this recipe that has far more potatoes. Once the soup was done I decided to add something more, so I found some Christmas sausages (not leftovers, this soup was made during December). The recipe uses bay leafs, it was really nice :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

1 Like

I’m not sure if there is any length restrictions so I’m splitting the entries :stuck_out_tongue:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparation
Project Name & Page Link: Activity advent calendar
Brief Description: I’m using the prompt of 24, so 24 tiny pockets for 24 days of fun. Sadly I started this AFTER December began so we didn’t get to use it this year, but that’s ok, I’ll have more time to plan the different activities for next year. I also realised I’m missing two of the cards, but that’s ok, can make new ones. The date cards came from some scrapbook paper set I received ages ago, I could finally use it XD
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Semolina pasta
Brief Description: This fits the recipe because it’s thin and long.
recipe - I watched a video about a man making different pasta shapes and discovered you can make semolina pasta, and I was so ready to try it myself. He made pasta with only water and semolina, but the recipe I found was half flour half semolina, and had eggs, I thought it was most likely safer to try that than all semolina and water.

I made the dough, and had enough to make a pasta dish for both me and my son, but he decided to have fun with half the dough, so in the end I had too little pasta and decided to give him black octopus ink pasta instead.

Also, I so need to buy a pasta machine, because I didn’t have it I decided to use my brand new polymer clay machine instead XD

I don’t have a recipe for the sauce, but it started as a bechamel sauce (white sauce) which I added chicken bullion dice to, and some cooked chicken. My son got scampi, because he likes them. I guess if i have to add a recipe to the sauce I will share this, it’s probably similar to what I did (I don’t use a recipe as I’ve made the sauce plenty of times before) recipe
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Ohana means family embroidery
Brief Description: Using text in my project. This is also my entrance for the January stitchalong
Project Picture:

1 Like

Oof! I Hope I’m doing this right! I’m going to post a few things, see how it worked out, then finish tomorrow. Thank goodness for Instagram, because I’d quite forgotten about most of the things I’d made this term, lol! (Some of my pics are screenshot of my insta pics because I wasn’t sure how else to do it - sorry for the little icons in advance.)

Class: Alchemy
Project Name: My Btumg Id Dtuck
Project Description: Our library Elf-on-the-shelf person asked if I could make Twinkles have his tongue stuck to a flagpole somehow. I painted the flagpole, made him a tongue, and knitted him a little scarf reminiscent of the one worn in that famous scene. The teeny scarf was super rolly, and had to be blocked using water.
Project Pic

Class: Apparition
Project Name: Kili Soap
Project Description: My daughter and I are making soap. All the soaps will be inspired by literature, and maybe later, fandoms. Our first is “Kili” - a sweet but smoldering lovely black tea scent, bronze (like knuts!) swirled with black and sprinkled with stardust.
Project Pic:

Class: Arithmancy
S.P.E.W. Pine Ridge
Project Name: Squooshy Baby Blankie
Project Description: Way back when I first joined HPC, I was really inspired to see all the afghan squares people were making for Pine Ridge. My dad was a traveling nurse, and used to have patients there, so it was a cause that really spoke to me. I’ve been knitting stuff for them ever since.
Project Pic: (the blanket is folded in 4ths):Arithmancy

I have like 30 more projects or so, so this will be my last for tonight so I can make sure I’m doing it right!

Class: Astronomy
Project Name: Zero Waste ATC
Project Description: My husband brought home a little hotel lavender sleep balm which one of my daughters claimed. I thought the tiny packaging was so pretty that I saved the image and used it along with a recycled book page (the book was being recycled by the library, but I rescue many of those for my altered books program) and some other materials I had on hand.They are all mounted on a repurposed playing card.
Project Pic:

1 Like

Silly question here, but are we supposed to reply to the bottom post, or the original? Does it matter?

Great projects!
I love love love the Santa office!

In the end it is still posted here, so it’s ok, but the reply button at the end (or the side) is the one I use :slight_smile:

@Moonflame, it depends on what you want to say. If you are replying directly to a single person’s message, you can click the Reply button under their message. Then your message will have a little arrow and the name of the person you are replying to on the top of the message, towards the right. Look up now at my message and you should see that I’m replying to YOU.

If you reply to the bottom of the thread, you are simply writing any message, such as a project post, that is for the whole group and not directed specifically at one individual.

OK, thank you both! I hadn’t even seen that one on the side for some reason. Maybe I saw it in the tutorial and forgot. :stuck_out_tongue: It felt silly going all the way to the top to hit reply before, lol!

Class:CoMC
Project Name: Mini Chocolate Frog Ornament
Project Description: I made this for a friend with a printout from this great video. It’s tiny like a wee fairy. :slight_smile: Under 5 inches for sure. :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class:Charms
Project Name: Mini Weasley Clock Ornament
Project Description: Another ornament for my friend. Same video link as the chocolate frog. This little timepiece should serve her well. :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class:DADA
Project Name: Baby Yoda
Project Description: I made this as a stocking stuffer for one of my daughters. He was a big hit. So much so, that I had to make a second for another daughter. (Appearing in a later post) :smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Divination
Project Name: Unicorn Mermaid Pants for Mirai!
Project Description: I used my sharp fabric scissors in the making of these sparkly pants for my SmartDoll Mirai.
Project Pic:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Wovenflame Dress for Mirai
Project Description: I used this pattern from Wovenflame with larger yarn and needles to fit Mirai. It’s a bit impractical, but fun!
Project Pic:

1 Like

Some more projects! I broke it up in case there’s a size limit. I’ve also lost a few epic project posts on C’ster in the past, so now I’m wary. :stuck_out_tongue:

Class:Herbology
Project Name: Hygge throw for dollies
Project Description: Mirai was wanting one of those arm-knitted blankets, and I had some singly ply yarn that was just the right scale for her! (Yarn being my long, thin ingredient, knitting needles doubly so!)
Project Pic:

Class: HoM
Project Name: Thorin is “Cracked” Soap
Project Description: My eldest and I made Thorin as our second soap. We are enjoying this soap making so much! We are also learning. :blush: We made a Mica line in our Thorin soap, and the soap cracked along that line (bummer) but it’s still beautiful, and we’ve worked out how to solve the problem for Thorin 2.0. Last year, she and I watched the Hobbit films pretty much on loop over a few months, and I have great memories of that. This soap is an outgrowth of that time. :slight_smile:
Project Pic:
HoM

Class: Potions
Project Name: Scaled up dress for Mirai
Project Description: I knit a dress from this pattern first in a smaller size (appearing later) and loved it so much that I tried scaling it up for Mirai. I had to swell the project, and there are increases in the pattern as well. I hope my cauldron doesn’t explode!
Project Pic:

Class:SoAR
Project Name: ATC
Project Description: I made this ATC that uses text as a visible element. It’s hard to tell, but the sequins are sewn on, so this did actually fit the time requirement. :wink:
Project Pic:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Name: Christmas Soap
Project Description: I made some soap for my in-laws. This was my first time making and embedding corkscrews of soap into a loaf.
Project Pic:

1 Like

Isn’t the baby yoda just the cutest?

Your cracked soap looks like a painting, Moonflame! Beautiful.

1 Like

A last blast from me.

Class: Detention - Stash Challenge
Project Name: Fluffy BJD Couch Cushions
Project Description: I made a little couch for my BJDs (see below) and it was a bit bare, so I made some cushions to soften things up. All materials were from my stash.
Project Pic:
StashChall

Class: Detention - Reparo Challenge
Project Name: Harry Potter ATC
Project Description: I had some more printouts from this video and thought I’d rather use them for an ATC than an ornament, so I repurposed them for that. The playing card base is also repurposed, as is the upcycled book page background, and the lenses for Luna’s Spectrespecs are from some packaging.
Project Pic:

Class: House Pride
Project Name: Another ATC!
Project Description: This one is yellow for Hufflepuff, with some cosy hearts that I crocheted for that sweet, Huffly vibe.
Project Pic:

Challenge: House Unity
Project Name: GryffinPuff dress for Airi
Project Description: This dress (knit from this pattern) helps Airi show her support for both Gryffindor and Hufflepuff!
Project Pic:

Challenge: Hogwarts Castle Challenge
Project Name: BJD Couch
Project Description: I’ve loved HPC for so long, and there are such wonderful talented people here. Aside from the wonderful pictures and inspiration, I love how POSITIVE and FRIENDLY everyone is! It truly is a wonderful community of caring, sharing people! This project wouldn’t have happened if I’d never “met” Gaudiknight/Trillian. I’ve always loved dolls, but she’s the one who introduced me to the wonderful world of Ball-Jointed Dolls. It was a steep, slippery slope, and I’ve never looked back.:grin:
Project Pic:
couch2

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenges - Baubles
Project Name: Mini SmartDoll Stocking
Project Description: A Christmas stocking for Mirai! I think knitting and dolls are pretty much my style, so yeah.
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenges - Bells
Project Name: Pumpkin Beret for Mirai
Project Description: I adore both the colour and the texture of this little beret!
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenges - Candles
Project Name: Babbo Yodo
Project Description: My daughter definitely got a warm glow from this Baby Yoda, and I got one from seeing her joy. She’s taken him to school (grad school for Chinese Traditional Medicine, mind you) and one her classmates has requested two more! :smile:
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenges - Fake Snow
Project Name: Bee Merry Soaps
Project Description: My daughter and I made soaps for all our coworkers at the library. 49 soaps! My only shaped mould was the bee one I used for #2’s wedding favours, so we made “Bee Merry” stickers for them.:wink:
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenges - Garland
Project Name:Hygge Blanket #2
Project Description: Mirai asked for a second, slightly larger arm-knitted blanket. Who was I to refuse? This one is prompted by our November snowstorm. I love knitting in the warm house as the snow spins through the wintry air outside.
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenge - Lights
Project Name: Season’s Readings Bulletin Board
Project Description: This one was created to light up the holidays for the library patrons.
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenge - Star
Project Name: Holo pants for MSD
Project Description: Bright shiny pants to let my sewing skills shine. Also to let Pippa’s legs shine, LOL!
Project Pic:

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenge - Tinsel
Project Name: Altered Book Pages
Project Description: Shiny sequins, confetti, glitter, and metal elements here, as well as a shimmery ribbon, a little glass, and some glass beads. The shiny postcard is from ErinAquaHearts! :smiley:
Project Pic:

bookpage2 bookpage3 bookpage4

Challenge: Yule Term Holiday Challenge - Tree Skirt
Project Name: Makeup Wipes
Project Description: Functional, but also pretty! There were about 5 more, but they went to Texas with my daughter before I thought to take a picture.
Project Pic:

2 Likes

Thank you! I can’t believe it turned out just was I’d envisioned it. Now to make it work, lol!

And OMG, yes, I ADORE Baby Yoda!

WOW @ everyone’s projects! I especially like the thuck dtongue and the Weasley clock.