CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2019/20

Thanks! What kind of doll did you get?

For this pattern, instead of casting on and knitting the 1st 2 rows with size 000 and switching to size 0, I used size 0 and size 2. The pattern calls for fingering weight yarn, and I used a Chroma single ply that leans toward the heavier side. I cast on the same number of stitches as the pattern calls for, and I made a dress form from my doll after watching this tutorial (maybe I can submit the form as a project if I can find a prompt that works!) and I used it during the increase and decrease phases of the pattern to see how I needed to adjust (I added some increases for her big bewbs and then had to add decreases as well for her waist.) Same procedure for the hips. It was super helpful to have the dress form sans limbs to try it out on.

Good luck and LMK if you have more Qs!

And a very wonderful birthday to our own @AntBee! Thank you for the love you’ve shown us all over the years, and most especially, thank you for the friendship and love you’ve shown me personally. I appreciate it more than you will ever know. :green_heart::snake::green_heart::snake::green_heart:

ant%20bee

4 Likes

awwww thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Trees Fake Snow Challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Filled fake chocolate truffles
Brief Description: A sister of mine made a birthday cake for her boyfriend, and had a LOT of cutoffs, which she saved for me because “maybe you can use it for something”. She has finally learned! So I made fake filled truffles. I crumbled up the cake, mixed it with vanilla cream (something that we use for fillings in cakes) until desired thickness, then made some small balls from thick chocolate ganache that I added to the centre, and dipped them in chocolate before adding some sprinkles on the top. I guess any cake pop recipe could work for this. I made more, but they never made the serving plate XD
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Trees Garland Challenge
**Project Name & Page Link:**Snowball cookies
Brief Description: Recipe. When the Christmas challenge went public it was snowing outside, big fluffy cute snow flakes, sadly winter has been really mild so we’ve barely had any snow this winter, but I still got to throw snowballs with my son, and so the idea for what I could make popped into my head.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Icicles Trees Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Cinnamon caramel almonds
Brief Description: The amazing recipe. My son wanted to make caramel almonds this Christmas, I wanted to find a more interesting recipe and found one. It tasted really great. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, so you’re getting a cute picture of the almonds right before i began to break them apart. This was the first time I tried to make them myself and learned that’s the time I need to start split them :stuck_out_tongue:
I needed to keep a high temperature in order to melt the sugar, so worth it!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Tree Skirt Trees Challenge
Project Name & Page Link:Recipe box and index cards
Brief Description: I wanted a recipe box, and I made one :smiley: And some pretty index cards. I’ve added more info in the post about the progress in the post.This is both a functional and decorative item.
Picture:

1 Like

OMG those truffle are SO cute!

Class: Arithmancy
SPEW: N/A
Project: Crochet Nest Basket
Description: My daughter loves music and musical instruments. And eggs. So for Christmas I got her a set of 5 musical eggs that all make different sounds when you shake them (She’s one.) She loves them. To amuse myself I wanted to make them a nest to be stored in when not in use. This is that basket. The rope and yarn together form ridges and grooves as you go round and round creating height. It is made from stash using nylon rope and brown boucle yarn of some unknown origin (It was a rescue from a friend’s late MIL’s stash.)
Picture:

Class: Alchemy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Chili
Brief Description: In our home chili is never made the exact same way twice as we use what we have on hand. There are 4 pounds of ground beef (browned, graveled, and drained), finely chopped onion and green pepper, and 2 chopped tomatoes. There are tins/cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, red kidney beans, tomatoes, half a jar of salsa from the fridge, and a third of a jar of pasta sauce also from the fridge. No additional seasonings were added since there is plenty already in the processed foods. This is a “wing it” recipe. Bring to a slow boil, stirring often. Then simmer, stirring often, until beans are heated through.
chili012020

Happy belated birthday, AntBee!!!

1 Like

@AntBee It’s …totally… on the wall…(if the wall is the least used doorway). I actually really love rug making, so having one wear out on me is not necessarily a cause for sadness. I can make them faster than they wear out!

1 Like

haha! I love that answer! I did see the pic of your cat luxuriating upon it’s fluffy snuggliness so I concede- it may have been wasted on the wall. :slight_smile:

Oh, Tateronis sound interesting. Need to try list. :wink:

1 Like

Class: CoMC
Project Name: HandStitched - Repaired Sweatshirt
Project description: I hand stitched a hole in a sweatshirt, less than five inches long, and L shaped. For me this is a challenge that took 3 hours due to arthritis. It is far from pretty embroidery but it is functional.
stitchSleeve1

1 Like

Class: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Pendant
Brief Description: Made for the Craft Stars Garage Sale. Supporting this website, both the people here and the general spirit of camaraderie and community, is a cause that matters greatly to me.

Class: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Brief Description: I made this banana bread to use up a couple bananas getting brown in my kitchen. Sick of the same old same old, I mixed it up a bit with a peanut butter chocolate version!

1 Like

That pendant must’ve taken so much time to be so tiny and detailed. Nice work! (To me it looks like long-necked, long-beaked bird in profile.

Serial posting to say that I actually broke out the whole kit of yarn and pattern book on Friday to start my 5 year old hat that is a one year old Advanced Studies proposed project only to discover I don’t have the correct needle sizes to knit it! So… Hi ho, Hi ho, it’s off to shop I go…

Good grief. haha

1 Like

Interesting perspective!

I don’t know how many of you remember MommaAquaheart. But technicoloraquahearts lost her mom to a stroke with a brain hemorrhage this morning. It was all quite sudden. Any thoughts, prayers, and good vibes are much appreciated right now. She was like a second mother to me. Not just my mother-in-law.

Oh no, that is so sad, I hope you will all get through it all. That she felt like a second mother speaks volumes, she must have been a great person to have in your lives.

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that. Praying for you both.

Class/Challenge: DADA
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Mustard ear warmer
Brief Description: I crocheted this ear warmer for my sister for part of her Christmas present. Yellow is her favorite color.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Baby Dahlia’s Blanket
Brief Description:I came up with this pattern on my own as I was so frustrated with two other baby blanket patterns that I completely frogged. The main body is a simple design with a beautiful ridged border. I have never tried this particular technique before and I really like the effect.
Project Picture:

1 Like