CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2019/20

Class or Challenge Title: HeadMistress: tree skirt
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: stuffed animals hammock
Brief Description: functional (i hope) and decorative is this wee, awkward, net i hooked up for my daughter’s room. I’m not in love with it- i intended it to be more like half a square i think rather than this weird shape but, eh, we’ll see how she looks once installed and full of friends.
Project Picture:

*poof *
Update: I set it just with tape to see what it would look like where i want it and it might actually work, just not for the quantity of stuffies i had hoped to house there. Here it is modeled by the lightest friend i could find: Sloth Lovey:

2 Likes

Look at that little face!

Oh Ant Bee! I have one of those on my to-do list!! The stuffed guys have taken over the room, lol.

And she’s getting so big!!! AH!

Thanks, guys!
I’m going to poof the pic shortly, I don’t like to leave her wee face up for too long… (i know once it’s up it’s somewhere forever, but it makes me feel a little better. lol)

I saw the pic before it was poofed, really cute :smiley:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: ~Iron Chef Hogwarts~ Cabbage (Jan. 2020)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: BBQ Sauerkraut and Sausage
Description:
Whenever my mother made barbecued pork or sausage, she would make bbq sauerkraut with the meat in the same pan. She had a simple recipe of ketchup, brown sugar, water, and a little vinegar for her sauce. The kraut was well drained and rinsed before adding to the pan. She simmered it all and the aroma filled the house, making our mouths water in anticipation. There were never any leftovers.

Recipe:
sg-kraut1
1 package of mild rope sausage, cut into 2 inch lengths (approx. 2 pounds)
1 package of homemade sauerkraut (approx. 2 pounds)
Sauce: 1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
water to make desired consistency
1-2 tsp vinegar
Mix sauce ingredients together until sugar is dissolved. Taste and alter amounts to your preference.

Brown the sausage chunks. While cooking, rinse the kraut well in cold water and drain.
sg-kraut2
Add the kraut to the sausage. Pour the sauce mixture into the pan.
sg-kraut3added
sg-kraut4

Stir well. Cover the pan, turn heat to low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stirr occasionally.
When finished, the bbq sauerkraut and sausage will look like this:
sg-kraut5

It tastes delicious!
sg-kraut6plate

Options: Add sliced onions, green pepper, or shredded purple cabbage to the meat and kraut. Cook all together. @KaeGalla

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Gnocchi
Brief Description: I’ve wanted to try out home made gnocchi for a few years, it was finally time so when I boiled some potatoes I made extra. It might be a little hard to see but I made groves and ridges in the gnocchi using a fork. Once they were boiled I added them in a pan with garlic and thyme browned butter. Now that I know I like gnocchi, and my son loves them, I’m going to look into a gnocchi board.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Fake frosted window
Brief Description: I like townhouses, except that on my street I feel there are too many who walk past my house, and the neighbours are too close. I don’t want to have the curtains closed all the time, or blinds, and I certainly don’t want to waste my time on silicone things that are attached with water, or even the tape kind. I remembered my mother-in-law linking me an article about using sour milk (not milk that has gone bad), and after some googling I found out that people have also used yogurt.
Anyway, I had some paint rollers, and some yogurt, and decided to try it. I wanted to make it a little more fun and so used tape to make the pattern, before I painted with the yogurt. Once it was dry I removed the tape, and now I’m left with a really cool pattern on the window.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention, stash
Project Name & Page Link:Cheesy mashed sweet potato cakes andenglish muffin
Brief Description: After making the sweet potato kibbeh I still had a lot of potatoes left, and decided then to make cheesy mashed sweet cakes. My cakes was half kibbeh leftovers and half plain mashed sweet potatoes, and I added cheeses and panko and fried them.
I’ve also wanted to try making English muffins, because I’ve never tried them, neither have I seen them, and I thought it would go well with the cakes, which for me it did. I added a picture of the English breakfast muffin with sweet potato cake, which sadly is buried under the egg and beans (I didn’t realise this until I looked at the picture).
All ingredients are from my stash.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Angel Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Sweet potato kibbeh
Brief Description:: My mom has always been there for me, and I doubt it will change anytime soon. She’s coming around to help me organise stuff in my house some more, so I can get it back into shape, and doesn’t want anything in return, ok, she won’t say no to dinner and dessert. I found a recipe for some Sweet potato kibbeh, because I needed to use the sweet potatoes I had, and decided to try making it. I love this dish, it’s so going into my recipe box. I didn’t have bulgur so I used cucscus, other than that it’s pretty similar to the original recipe. So I prepared this for her visit that will go as a side with some other food I haven’t decided on yet.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Star Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Miniature potion books
Brief Description: I love working with miniatures, it’s one of my better skills I think, and while these are a little too large for my dollhouse bookshelf I had fun binding these cute books together.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas ribbon Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Homemade coffee liqeur
Brief Description: I came across some recipes that use coffee liqueur, but looking at the price of coffee liqueur was enough to put me off the thought of making those recipes. Then I wondered if it’s possible to make your own, and it is. I used this recipe as the base (https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-coffee-liqueur-766126), but having seen other recipes I decided to tweak it slightly. I swapped half the sugar with brown sugar, and about half of the rum was vodka (because I didn’t have enough rum as I’ve used most of the bottle to make vanilla essence). Because I don’t drink alcohol I decided to add the alcohol to the mixture as soon as the sugar had melted, hoping it would reduce the amount of alcohol. I loved the end result, it’s quite like a syrup, but sadly there is little coffee taste, so I would have added more had I known that.
The first recipe I saw with coffee liqueur was a Marengue and ice cream cake with chocolate sauce, the recipe I found is in Norwegian, luckily for me they added the source and so I found out that it’s a Nigella recipe, who actually have it from someone else! While this project is only for the sauce it will tie the ice cake and sauce together.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Tinsel Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Gold striped earrings
Brief Description: I was having some fun with paint, and decided to make a few earrings as well, but only the paper was a little boring so I added some fake gold stripes which I think works well with the colours, and when the light hits them right they glisten really pretty.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Christmas Trees Baubles Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: "Overhaul of drawer chest
Brief Description: While I was married most of the furniture were dark, I was never a fan of that, being single shouldn’t stop me from switching them out, but I’m also out of a job so that won’t happen anytime soon. HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean I can’t spend a little money and upgrade it, so I found some copper contact paper that matches the stripes in my living room and I think the drawers look great, it lightens the corner far more. Copper is a favourite colour for me, and the striped fronts are so me, it fits the room well as one of the walls in the room have huge painted copper stripes on it.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

There are so many inspiring crafty projects in here! I love it all!

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Fake Snow
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Gold & Sterling Silver Scale Necklaces & Earrings
Brief Description: These simple necklaces and pair of earrings were made with sterling silver, and 24k gold plated scales. They are thank you gifts to the two costumers who requested the chain mail necklace below. One is a very old friend from grad school, so she’s getting the necklace and earrings. The second is for the designer she’s working with on this project, who contacted me just as I was going through a really rough patch, and responded with such kindness and compassion, I knew I had to thank her somehow.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: 12 Trees - Tree Skirt
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Chain Mail Gorget Necklace
Brief Description: This piece was a special request from a friend and (former?) collegue. We attended grad school together for costume design, and now she works at a highly respected regional theatre as an assistant costume designer full time. When their show needed an armor necklace for the queen, she asked me to make that happen. This is done in a Japanese 12 in 1 weave.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Reminder: This term of the Harry Potter Craftalong closes TONIGHT at midnight, Headmistress time!

My apologies imera. I forgot it was a repost. You got 75 points for the House Points miniature back when you posted it on Facebook. You did not lose them. I just forgot that the project wasn’t NEW, when you posted it on Lettuce Craft too, and went to put in points under that subject, only to see there were already points in that square of the spreadsheet. So really, since the LC post was the same as the post to Facebook, it kind of doesn’t count, because it has already been counted. Does that make sense? Either way, you have 75 points on that subject.

Don’t worry, it’s been a really messy period, some confusion had to happen I guess, but you’ve done a great job with it all, which is why you do deserve the adulting badge :smiley:

@imera - Your window looks terrific! And thanks for sharing the link! As another condo/townhome dweller with several windows that are only a couple feet from the sidewalk I’m going to have to give it a try.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Doll Shrug made by sizing up this pattern.
Brief Description: I wanted to cast on for my first socks of 2020, but when I started rummaging around in my knitting supplies I found the needles I needed already had a project on them. I’ve had to delay a couple days on the socks, but I’ve got something cute to show for it.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Doll Dress
Brief Description: I made a couple of these dresses in various size. The fabric originally came from my great-aunt Gloria’s Craft-Stash-Of-Legend.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: Hemmed pants
Brief Description: These trousers were a nightmare to hem. I prefer bootcut/flare legs and have been moderately successful hemming by just creating a giant growth stripe to preserve the original hem stitching, but these were such a funny shape (about 6 inches too long and flared wide enough to give the 70s a run for their money) that I had to go the old school route. I didn’t have any marking implement that would show up on the black except for a silver sharpie and did some serious miscalculations on how much to take off, but it worked out in the end. Sorry for the lack of action shots - it’s too late in the evening and there’s really not much to see at any rate.

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Yet Another Boxy Pouch
Brief Description: I’ve been on a pouch making kick recently, and all the zippers so far have come from Aunt Gloria’s WonderStash. Most are so old they still have metal teeth and I’m really concerned I’m going to do some damage to my scissors when I get to the trimming part (don’t get me started on how many machine needles they’ve broken). I was happy to actually find a nylon zipper in the length/color I needed for this pouch to give my blades a bit of a break.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress’ Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Grandmother’s Dishcloth
Brief Description: Craftster really was my first home on the internet - i think it was the first account I had to any site that wasn’t my university e-mail. I was mostly a lurker for the first couple years before I discovered the craftalong board. To celebrate the spirit of this home I decided to make something for my home using what I would consider my first craft - knitting - which introduced me to the joy of making and the relief of busy hands. When I was just starting out I made a lot of dishcloths but had mostly worked them out of my system by the time I joined the HPC. So here’s a throwback to the craft, and the site, that started all this insanity!

1 Like

Thank you :smiley: And I hope you let us know how it works out! And if you decide to make a pattern or not :smiley: Good luck

Ack, I totally forgot to post what I made for the Imbolc swap as class/challenge projects here before going to bed last night. Was really hoping to earn Hufflepuff a few more points, oh well.

@MistressJennie I love that chain mail necklace
@imera Those miniature books are spooky and adorable

1 Like

:zap::heart::tada::sparkles::yellow_heart::woman_mage: End of Term Feast :mage::green_heart::sparkles::tada::blue_heart::zap:

Welcome to the End of Term Feast! I have checked the school hour glasses, and the points stand thusly…

hourglasses

:yellow_heart: Hufflepuff: 7 students, 1475 points , for an average of 210.7 points per student.:yellow_heart:
:heart: Gryffindor: 3 students, 825 points , for an average of 275 points per student.:heart:
:blue_heart: Ravenclaw: 6 students, 1775 points , for an average of 295.83 points per student.:blue_heart:
:green_heart: :trophy::snake: Slytherin: 4 students, 1560 points , for an average of 390 points per student.:snake: :trophy::green_heart:

Congratulations to Slytherin House!

6 Likes

This term of the HPC is now CLOSED. You may find our new term here: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

3 Likes

Yes! I love the border and it was so easy. It’s a reverse shell border. Here is a link for the o e I followed.

1 Like

Well done Slytherin! I always enjoy seeing the massive amount of posts right toward the end.

1 Like

whoa - late reply - sorry for that :flushed: I am new to the HPC and haven’t been on craftster (as it was called) for a very long time either (I’ve forgotten my username on craftster now). As you can see - I forgot all about this challenge too :flushed: and now I am back at university taking my finals, I don’t have time for much at all (OK I confess I am hopelessly disorganized) :blush:
Thanks for asking :heart:

Hi @Eddie. Good luck in your finals! If you wish to find us after them, we’re now on our Ostara (Spring) Term.

1 Like